PDA

View Full Version : Formatting with WORD 2007

miles
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Since the page count of a manuscript should start on page two (after the cover sheet), how do I get WORD to recognize the second page as being page ONE? I've had no success doing this via the header, but have to manually type the page number on every page, starting with the second. If I just type "1" as the header of the second page, all the pages after it read "1."

Thanks for any help!

kurzon
04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
When you want part of a document to have its own set of page number, different margins, different headers, different page orientation - basically anything to do with pages rather than paragraphs, you need to start thinking about section breaks. While Word has a setting of "Different first page", this is a fairly limited option.

First insert a section break at the end of your page one.

Go to the Page Layout tab, and select the drop down for "Breaks" and then select "Next page". [If you had a normal page break in, delete it, as it's not necessary if you're using the next page section break.]

Once you've got your section break, you're able to make changes to the parts of the document before and after the break.

Go into the header (or footer or wherever you've got your page numbering). To get there go to the Insert tab and select the Header drop-down and then "Edit Header" down the bottom of the list.

You will now see that you have a Header Section 1 and a Header Section 2. Make sure your cursor is sitting in Header Section 2 and then select the Page Number drop-down and select "Format Page Number".

In the Page Number Format window which pops up, change the selection from "Continue from previous section" to "Start At" and then type whatever number you want in the little box. Click Okay, and then exit your header.

My gods I hate Word 2007. I have to spend ages working out how to do things which were top of my head before this change.

miles
04-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks kurzon!

That did it!

Margarita Skies
04-25-2010, 03:08 AM
When you want part of a document to have its own set of page number, different margins, different headers, different page orientation - basically anything to do with pages rather than paragraphs, you need to start thinking about section breaks. While Word has a setting of "Different first page", this is a fairly limited option.

First insert a section break at the end of your page one.

Go to the Page Layout tab, and select the drop down for "Breaks" and then select "Next page". [If you had a normal page break in, delete it, as it's not necessary if you're using the next page section break.]

Once you've got your section break, you're able to make changes to the parts of the document before and after the break.

Go into the header (or footer or wherever you've got your page numbering). To get there go to the Insert tab and select the Header drop-down and then "Edit Header" down the bottom of the list.

You will now see that you have a Header Section 1 and a Header Section 2. Make sure your cursor is sitting in Header Section 2 and then select the Page Number drop-down and select "Format Page Number".

In the Page Number Format window which pops up, change the selection from "Continue from previous section" to "Start At" and then type whatever number you want in the little box. Click Okay, and then exit your header.

My gods I hate Word 2007. I have to spend ages working out how to do things which were top of my head before this change.

Hey, Kurzon, I did this exactly as you said here, and page 5 would be marked as page 1 just like I wanted it as I usually leave the first page and the second page of my manuscript blank, and then I start my title page on page three, leave the fourth page blank and the first chapter would start on page 5. When I'm done with my manuscript I insert four pages into it in order to achieve this. However, even though page 5 is marked as page 1, the page numbers won't show at the bottom of the page. What could I be doing wrong?

kurzon
04-25-2010, 05:48 AM
Mm - I started with the assumption that a page number had already been inserted in the header (or footer). If you had not already inserted a page number, then you will need to go to the Insert tab and then choose page number (and then choose from the ridiculous number of options Word 2007 gives you).

Let me know if you had already inserted a number and are still having issues and I'll go through other options.

Margarita Skies
04-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Mm - I started with the assumption that a page number had already been inserted in the header (or footer). If you had not already inserted a page number, then you will need to go to the Insert tab and then choose page number (and then choose from the ridiculous number of options Word 2007 gives you).

Let me know if you had already inserted a number and are still having issues and I'll go through other options.

When should I insert the page numbers? Because you're right, I did everything you wrote on your post except inserting the page numbers before the whole formatting thing. Hmm, I wonder if that's why they didn't show up at the bottom of the page when I was done formatting the page numbers and exited the footer... :D I will get into this tomorrow because right now I have to go to sleep. It's late, it's 11:10 PM. Thank you for being willing to work with me on this, for helping me out. :)

kurzon
04-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Yep - the solution I had at the beginning of the post was for documents with page numbers already inserted. If your document didn't have page numbers already, you'd insert them when you go to the insert tab (or any time afterwards).

shaldna
04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Personally I don't have a separate cover page.

But you can start your page numbers at 0 (0 would be your cover page)

Margarita Skies
04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Yep - the solution I had at the beginning of the post was for documents with page numbers already inserted. If your document didn't have page numbers already, you'd insert them when you go to the insert tab (or any time afterwards).

Hey. I used one of my incomplete manuscripts as practice, and before doing this procedure, I inserted page numbers in the document. Then I did all this and in the end of it all page 5 in the document (first page of chapter 1) appeared as page 1, but the blank pages that I inserted to have the title page and everything, they also appeared numbered, and they also started at number 1 and continued. Then it was really weird. The page numbers read as 1, 2, 3, 4 (the blank pages I added for formatting) and then 1, 2, 3, 4 again... I don't know if I explained this correctly.

Kateness
04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm no computer expert, but I think what you've now got to do is go back to your headers, for section 1 and remove the page number option for them. Presto-chango, you'll have four blank pages and then page 1

Margarita Skies
04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm no computer expert, but I think what you've now got to do is go back to your headers, for section 1 and remove the page number option for them. Presto-chango, you'll have four blank pages and then page 1

When I deleted the page number in section 1, all of my page numbers disappeared and then I just gave up.

kurzon
04-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Hey. I used one of my incomplete manuscripts as practice, and before doing this procedure, I inserted page numbers in the document. Then I did all this and in the end of it all page 5 in the document (first page of chapter 1) appeared as page 1, but the blank pages that I inserted to have the title page and everything, they also appeared numbered, and they also started at number 1 and continued. Then it was really weird. The page numbers read as 1, 2, 3, 4 (the blank pages I added for formatting) and then 1, 2, 3, 4 again... I don't know if I explained this correctly.

Okay, that's related to your section breaks and your header/footer section. The default setting when you insert a section break is to link the header or footer in section 2 to the header/footer in section 1 (so that if you have dozens of section breaks you can change one and change them all). If you want a different header/footer in each section, you need to turn this setting off.

First go into your header/footer in the second section (by double-clicking on it, or by going to Insert/Footer/Edit).

You will see that your footer is labelled "Footer Section 2", but there's probably also a label which reads "Same as Previous". This means any change you make in one section will be reflected in the other section.

Making sure you are in section 2, you should have in your new toolbar (header/footer design tools) a button called "Link to previous" should be highlighted. Click to turn it off.

You can now make changes to section 1 (eg. deleting the page numbers) and that change will not occur in section 2.

Margarita Skies
04-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Oh, thanks, Kurzon!! I am going to bookmark this thread for future reference. (I hope it doesn't get deleted) and then I will try this again. Thanks for all your help. You're awesome. Thank you for continuing to help me even when I'd already given up.

Becky Black
04-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Here's the way I'd do it, no messing about with sections, that looks too hard for me!

Go to the Insert ribbon and click Page Number
Select Format Page Number
In the Page Numbering section of the dialog box that comes up, select Start At and change it to a 0. Click ok
Click Page Number again and choose where you want to put your page number, top or bottom and which alignment
Your page numbers appear on the pages. The one on the first page should be showing 0.
To get that one not to show up: Straight after you insert the page number you should now be in your header or footer and have a ribbon of tools for it at the top. If not, right click over your header or footer and select edit.
You'll have a checkbox for "Different First Page" on the ribbon. Check it and the page number will vanish from your first page.
Click Close Header and Footer.

Hope that helps!

Margarita Skies
05-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Here's the way I'd do it, no messing about with sections, that looks too hard for me!

Go to the Insert ribbon and click Page Number
Select Format Page Number
In the Page Numbering section of the dialog box that comes up, select Start At and change it to a 0. Click ok
Click Page Number again and choose where you want to put your page number, top or bottom and which alignment
Your page numbers appear on the pages. The one on the first page should be showing 0.
To get that one not to show up: Straight after you insert the page number you should now be in your header or footer and have a ribbon of tools for it at the top. If not, right click over your header or footer and select edit.
You'll have a checkbox for "Different First Page" on the ribbon. Check it and the page number will vanish from your first page.
Click Close Header and Footer.

Hope that helps!

Yes, I tried that just now with one of my incomplete books and it worked like a charm... except for the fact that when I format a manuscript I add 4 blank pages and the first chapter starts at page 5. I do that because the first page and the second page remain blank and then the third page is the title page and the fourth page also remains blank. What I want is for the first 4 pages to have no numbers on them and for the 5th page to be marked as page 1. Is there a way to do that without having to use section breaks?

Thanks for the help!
Magali.

Becky Black
05-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Yes, I tried that just now with one of my incomplete books and it worked like a charm... except for the fact that when I format a manuscript I add 4 blank pages and the first chapter starts at page 5. I do that because the first page and the second page remain blank and then the third page is the title page and the fourth page also remains blank. What I want is for the first 4 pages to have no numbers on them and for the 5th page to be marked as page 1. Is there a way to do that without having to use section breaks?

Thanks for the help!
Magali.

Woops, I missed that bit about your particular format. What are the blank pages for? (said she nosily. ;))

Margarita Skies
05-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Woops, I missed that bit about your particular format. What are the blank pages for? (said she nosily. ;))

First blank page - blank
Second blank page - copyright page
third blank page - Title page
fourth blank page - blank
Fifth page of document is where the first chapter starts.

kurzon
05-01-2010, 04:27 AM
There's no way to do first four pages blank without using section breaks (that I know of).

William Haskins
05-01-2010, 05:00 AM
if any of you are word 2003 veterans and hate 2007 as much as i do, you can click the 'change styles' button on the top right, select 'style sets' and then choose 'word 2003.'

it'll be like going home again.

Margarita Skies
05-01-2010, 06:53 PM
There's no way to do first four pages blank without using section breaks (that I know of).

Ok, thank you so much for your help!! You're amazing! Someday soon I'm going to figure this out. It's just that I'd never done it before.

if any of you are word 2003 veterans and hate 2007 as much as i do, you can click the 'change styles' button on the top right, select 'style sets' and then choose 'word 2003.'

it'll be like going home again.

Thank you so much for the tip! Didn't know that could be done!