Book Fair Attendence Protocol and AW Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillkonam

Weapons-Grade Somnambulist
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am going to be attending the LA Book Fair, and I plan on scoping out agents and publishers there. If anyone can answer the following, I would be grateful. I haven't seen any post on these topics, so I hope to be posting in the right forum. If I am not, please forgive me.

1. Being that it is a public (if somewhat targeted) event, can I expect either set of professionals to be open to being "talked up" by a writer, even for only a few off moments?

2. If such meetings are regularly anticipated, should one bring some promotional material (including a something akin to a query) to such an event for these purposes, or simply only expect to make raw contact with a possible "business card-level" interaction?

3. Understanding that such interactions are business-oriented, would one be expected to wear strict business attire (suit/tie for men), or would the casual nature of the day make business casual more appropriate for wear in the spring LA sun?

4. Does AW ever set up any meetups at these major events? How could someone inquiry about that here, i.e. which forum?

Thanks in advance!
GH

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new here, so not much help, sorry.

I haven't been to a large book fair, and I haven't yet attended a writer's conference, which I think might have similar conditions, so I don't really have advice for you on that.

As far as meeting up with other AWers, there's a forum here in AW Roundtable

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157

where the meetups are usually set up, I think. You might post a thread in there.

I lived in SoCal for 9 years before moving north, and I think business casual would be appropriate dress. I rarely saw anyone in more formal clothing. And they usually looked out of place, unless they were speaking at a big event.

Have fun and good luck!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
book fairs are usually appointment orientated. most agents and editors will have their schedule packed.

sometimes there will be a chance for pitching, but again these are often by appointment only and at presceduled times.

your best bet is to check with the organiser if they have a pitch opportuniy

Status
Not open for further replies.