I need ONE WORD for my story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
When you take a phrase like "National Aeronautics and Space Administration" and everyone calls it by it's initials - NASA- what is the word that we use to describe this action? I'm sure it is not called an abbreviation, but my brain is completely empty of any coherent thoughts and I need help!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!

Thanks for letting me borrow your brain.
Now I need to figure how to end this thread so I don't annoy folks.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Acronym

Edit -- I'm a tad slow today. Didn't see where the question had alreay been answered.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a specific verb for that. "Acronymize" is understandable, but I've never heard anyone actually use that as a word. I would probably say "to make an acronym," "make something an acronym," "make an acronym out of something" etc. "Initialize" doesn't work because its main meaning is to initiate or begin something.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
ideagirl said:
I don't think there is a specific verb for that. "Acronymize" is understandable, but I've never heard anyone actually use that as a word. I would probably say "to make an acronym," "make something an acronym," "make an acronym out of something" etc. "Initialize" doesn't work because its main meaning is to initiate or begin something.

I know this is not a real word either, but I've heard the process referred to as "acronyme" ( "Why don't you acronyme that?" )

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
Thanks for letting me borrow your brain.
Now I need to figure how to end this thread so I don't annoy folks.
I always tell a joke. Since this is a board about writing for kids, here's a joke starring a kid. (Wow, like there aren't plenty of those, huh?)
The boss of a big company needed to call one of his employees about an urgent problem. He dialed the employee’s home phone number and was greeted with a child's whispered, "Hello?"

Feeling put out at the inconvenience of having to talk to a youngster, the boss asked, “Is your daddy home?"

"Yes," whispered the small voice.

"May I please talk with him?" the man asked.

To the surprise of the boss, the small voice whispered, "No."

Not trusting a small child with an important message, the boss asked, "He must be busy. Is your mommy there?"

"Yes," came the soft answer.

"May I talk with her?"

Again the small voice whispered, "No."

Knowing that it was not likely that a young child would be left home alone, the boss decided he would just leave a message with the person who should be there watching over the child. "Who is there besides you?"

"A policeman," whispered the child.

Wondering what a cop would be doing at his employee's home, the boss asked, "May I speak with the policeman?"

"No, he's busy," whispered the child.

"Busy doing what?” asked the boss, with mounting impatience.

"Talking to Daddy and Mommy and the fireman," came the whispered answer.

Growing concerned as he heard what sounded like a helicopter through the ear piece on the phone, the boss asked, "What is that noise?"

"A hello-copper," answered the whispering voice.

"What is going on there?" asked the boss, now alarmed.

In an awed whispering voice the child answered, "The fireman says the search team just landed the hello-copper."

Alarmed, the boss asked, "Why are they there? What are they searching for?"

Still whispering, the young voice replied along with a muffled giggle, "They're looking for me."

Maryn, her dimple showing when she smiles

rickdemille

Registered
Reaction score
Here's another try - or two.

Jaycinth said:
When you take a phrase like "National Aeronautics and Space Administration" and everyone calls it by it's initials - NASA- what is the word that we use to describe this action? I'm sure it is not called an abbreviation, but my brain is completely empty of any coherent thoughts and I need help!

According to Webster there are two other forms for acronym:

- ac·ro·nym·ic /"a-kr&-'ni-mik/ adjective
- ac·ro·nym·i·cal·ly /-mi-k(&-)lE/ adverb

So you could say 'abbreviate acronymically', which is so long it negates the idea of having an acronym altogether.

Thus, my second suggestion, creating an acronym to express the action of creating an acronym. The act of "Creating Acronymic Character Abbreviations" would be known as CACA. So if we want to create an acronym for say, the World Health Organization, it would be the CACA WHO. As an American in the United States, I realize some in the world want to CACA US.

It's dumb, it's a little whacky and could be a tad offensive - I think it may work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.