Dialogue between young Americans anti-Vietnam freaks?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I'm not American and not a guy but I need a few sentences of dialogue that a couple of such (see subject title) might use, in 1972. These are four guys, Tony, Gary, Chuck and Michael, who "escaped" to South America to avoid the draft. They loathe Richard Nixon. Tony and Gary's elder brother got killed in the war. They are alternately angry and laid-back. I get the laid-back bit, but what kind of things might they have said when they start ranting about Vietnam? I need to get the vocabulary, the slang for that time right, and also the kind of issues that might be bothering them the most.
These are minor characters, don't have much to say otherwise but I need to get this aspect spot on, if only for a few lines.
Thanks! (Mods: can you PLEASE remove the s in "Americans?")

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1972 was kind of an oddball year due to the election, the end of the draft, the end of the war, a sort of "second end" of the 60s, etc. What held people's attention at the start of the year was probably not the same by the end of 1972. A lot of the passions of the antiwar movement were fading by the end of the year.

Do you still have my e-mail address? We can discuss it further.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Thanks, email dispatched, if it's the same one! (sdg-structure)
This conversation would have been early in the year, around March -- unless there was some kind of instigating event that could have sparked it. But it's definitely inthe first half of the year.
Thanks for all help!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I replied to your e-mail. Let me know if you don't get it.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Hippie was the term applied by supporters of the administration for anyone who opposed it. I wasn't a hippie, but my dad would make us sit in the car for an hour or more after church every Sunday and demand of us to point, jeer and laugh at the hippes as we drove past them. They were often hitchhiking and he'd sometimes do the drive-off to try and tick them off. It simply ticked him off when they'd give him the wave of peace in return.

Things that were good were "groovy". If I remember, unpleasant things were "not cool". Thought provoking things were "psychedelic" and "heavy".

When he wasn't around I used to talk to them and found there were multiple subsets within the community that we were told to call "hippie". Some were pacifists, some conscientious objectors, some potheads, some anarchists, and more, but it was a long time ago. The anarchists were the angry ones and liked to try to incite riots and called other people "imperialists". Typically when there were riots, it seemed to me that if there were 99 hippies peacefully demonstrating, ther'd be one anarchist who'd throw a brick at a cop and then a riot would ensue with a lot of beat downs on peaceful demonstrators. Look up the "masacre" at Kent State (a college in Ohio where the National guard opened fired and killed several students who were simply walking out of class.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Make sure they use the word "pigs" at least once to signify the establishment, Nixon, cops, or Republicans.