PDA

View Full Version : Is my agent dumping me?

lilacat
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
My agent submitted my novel for about 5 months and now has told me that she's going to stop submitting soon, and that I should concentrate on another novel. She said that after we "publish that one" we can go back to the first and rewrite. She included a note that the editors like my writing and that she wants to see me published, but I'm still wondering if this isn't a coded message. Is she telling me goodbye in a nice way?

Bartholomew
04-23-2010, 06:41 PM
No. If she wanted to say goodbye, she'd tell you, "It isn't working out, sorry!"

Agents, editors, and bookstores all know that an author is more likely to sell a lot of books if that author has more than one book to sell.

Interpret her message thusly:

"Get another novel into my hands ASAP so we can both make some money."

Terie
04-23-2010, 06:42 PM
No, she's not dumping you. If she were, she wouldn't waste her time working on your next novel. Agents know that most first novels, even those who garner a good agent, still don't sell. (My agent said the same thing to me, and he's one of the tops.) Keep looking forward. :)

lilacat
04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
THANK YOU! I'm so glad to hear this perspective. I hope you two are right!

Chris P
04-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Doesn't sound like it to me, but take the hint: get that next novel written! :)

nitaworm
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Do you have more stuff for her to submit?

Gillhoughly
04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
You're solid or she'd have dumped you in a clear and decisive way.

Finish the next novel so she has something new to shop.

A lot of the time a writer's first novel just isn't ready to sell. She wants you to get more writing under your belt.

The quality of my work between my 1st and 3rd books was such that I rewrote the first one (again!!) because I'd learned a lot more about the craft from all that writing.

Next time out it sold, and I had 2 more books to show the publisher.

It's not just about selling the FIRST book--it's about selling all the other books after it.

waylander
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I had exactly this converation with my agent.
I'm now writing a new novel. When that sells we'll sell the original book.

Giant Baby
04-24-2010, 05:17 AM
One of the things I really value about my agreement with my agent is that he represents me and my career, not the book he chose to sign me with. That means, if this one doesn't sell, he dukes it out over the next one. Or the next one. Or the... No, I refuse to envision more at this time, but you get my drift.

Some represent the book. Some represent the author. Neither is wrong. But, if you like and trust your agent, and want to continue with her, this sounds just about right to me.

Go write. :e2headban

Paul
04-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Did he/she say 'it's not you, it's me?'*

If not, no worries.

Ref : *George Castanza

Gillhoughly
04-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Me to my ex: It's not me, it's you. It's totally YOU. I took a poll and everyone we know says it's YOU. Just so there's no doubt: it-is-YOU. Here it is in writing, notarized. The notary public said it was YOU, too...

:evil

Jamesaritchie
04-26-2010, 12:49 AM
My agent submitted my novel for about 5 months and now has told me that she's going to stop submitting soon, and that I should concentrate on another novel. She said that after we "publish that one" we can go back to the first and rewrite. She included a note that the editors like my writing and that she wants to see me published, but I'm still wondering if this isn't a coded message. Is she telling me goodbye in a nice way?

Agents don't speak in code. If she were dumping you, she'd say "I'm dumping you."

But she is, in my opinion,. giving up on this novel far, far too soon, which is a common failing, even with otherwsie good agents.

Begbie
04-26-2010, 02:15 AM
I agree with James. Agents do give up on a novel too quickly, but now that it's been shopped around, your best bet is to complete your next work and get it to her.

Good luck! Don't get discouraged.