PDA

View Full Version : One Way to Kill your Career

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

artemis31386
04-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Has anyone seen this:
http://rejectionqueen.blogspot.com/

Rejection is frustrating, but if you must vent, its best to do it privately. Not on the internet where everyone and their mom can read it. Especially agents and publishers.

Not good at all.

Cassiopeia
04-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Oh wow.

that's it. just.

oh wow.

artemis31386
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Oh wow.

that's it. just.

oh wow.

That was exactly my reaction. I didn't know what to say. We all get rejected--its a part of the business of writing--but wow.

mlhernandez
04-23-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm just stunned by the fact she can't spell the "f" word properly. Once is a typo. The whole blog is littered with a three letter version. Seriously. Four letters. Rhymes with duck.

And, er, yeah. Not smart to trash the people you want to work with on a very public blog. I'm hoping this is just one colossal joke and that she isn't really that clueless.

The Lonely One
04-23-2010, 09:25 AM
This should be linked from the why don't writers ever snap thread.

Kateness
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
When I do the whole query-thing,I might mention on my blog that I got a rejection or a partial or whatever, but I'd never include *names*. Just 'got another rejection letter...the world sucks" kind of thing.

Agree with the f-word. On my blog I use fk, but that's deliberate and because I don't swear (much) on it

HelloKiddo
04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Dear Rejection Queen,

Let me introduce you to my friend The Journal. This is where you bitch and moan about stuff that will only get you in trouble if you say it in public. Go ahead and write that your boss is an asshole, your mother in law is fat, your landlord is a good-for-nothing cheap bastard and you can't wait to get away from him--and of course include your tirade about how stupid and evil literary agents are and how they wouldn't know a masterpiece if it fell from the sky and bonked them on the head. Obviously, they're just too stupid to "get" you, the losers.

You write all that, then you lock it with your little dollar store lock and stash it away in your underwear drawer.

This will save you a lot of heartache in life.

Sincerely,
HelloKiddo

gothicangel
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Maybe it's me, but if I was getting 30 standard form rejections I would start to suspect that something is up with the manuscript.

Time to either get a beta reader or shove it in a draw and try again.

This is what I did after getting twenty rejections anyway.

OctoberRain
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Wowza. And I thought I went a little nuts during the query process.

And is it wrong that I'm enjoying reading this blog?

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Everyone's wrong besides her. How dare they not think her manuscript is brilliant!

Becky Black
04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree with HelloKiddo. By all means write or type out a rant about how much the people rejecting you suck etc. Get it out of your system. Then either delete it/tear it up or lock it away somewhere. Sending it to anyone, or posting it on the net is not going to help.

I blame the internet for this stuff. Back in the old days a writer could only rant to their family and friends and maybe they could write a letter, but by the time you write a letter address an envelope, get a stamp, go post it, you've got plenty of time to have second thoughts. Now you can respond too fast while still in the heat of anger and frustration, before having time to decide maybe this isn't such a good idea.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't blame the internet. I blame the people who get on like that. They should know better. Do they actually think they're not going to experience rejection?

jerry phoenix
04-23-2010, 02:06 PM
:-D

this is brilliant. very funny. she is probably quite right in what she says, but it is also very likely that her work sucks.

agents are only looking for the ms that will net them loads of cash. only work that will sell will sell. if only the industry and readers were there to massage our writing egos.

im going to read it again. i love a good rant.

shaldna
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
wow.

that is all.

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Good God.

Querying is frustrating as hell. I have almost 150 rejections under my belt from agents. It's part of the game. Sooner or later, someone will bite. I'll keep writing better stuff, keep polishing my queries (and blackmailing scarletpeaches into writing them for me), and keep submitting.

But starting a blog like that? No, I think not. Putting a bullet through my left foot would be more conducive to furthering my career.

Cyia
04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Some people like attention in whatever form it comes, and from her assertion that the posts are "entertainment", I'd say that's the case here. She's getting what she wanted, which is eyes on her words.

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Entertainment is one thing. Posting actual names and calling them out for being "shady", "a bitch", "liars", etc...that's just professional suicide.

I should totally be packing for my trip right now, but I can't stop reading this blog...

Parametric
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I wanted to name this person earlier when I was ranting about her on Twitter. I stumbled across her blog when she posted a bitchy comment on the BookEnds blog. What a trainwreck. Apart from the attitude problem, general unprofessionalism and apparent belief that agents don't know how to google, I hate that she bashes the very agents who would most love to help her - even bitching about thoughtful personalised rejections. That's just ungrateful.

Twizzle
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Good God.

Querying is frustrating as hell. I have almost 150 rejections under my belt from agents. It's part of the game.

What I found interesting is she is/being published. Yet she thinks even her publisher sucks. Nothing makes her happy, it seems.

Christine N.
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
And it goes on like that for TWO YEARS.

One of them I saw last night was a rejection from an agent who ONLY reps SF & Fantasy. That's part of the problem - when you sent your book to agents who don't work with the kind of book you've written.

And she's got a book being published 'soon'. From scant details regarding issues with errors (plus her ranting about poor cover art, as well as spelling her name wrong on the cover), I'd bet dollars to donuts her 'publisher' is PA.

Twizzle
04-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I wanted to name this person earlier when I was ranting about her on Twitter. I stumbled across her blog when she posted a bitchy comment on the BookEnds blog. What a trainwreck. Apart from the attitude problem, general unprofessionalism and apparent belief that agents don't know how to google, I hate that she bashes the very agents who would most love to help her - even bitching about thoughtful personalised rejections. That's just ungrateful.

Do we know if this is a "real" person? That's her actual name, and that this isn't some fake stunt to get attention? Cause it's working, his/her bad behavior is getting just that. *sigh*

Parametric
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Some people like attention in whatever form it comes, and from her assertion that the posts are "entertainment", I'd say that's the case here. She's getting what she wanted, which is eyes on her words.

Yeah, I suspect she enjoys playing the victim. She's failing at something very important to her, so to protect her ego, she has to present herself as an unjustly injured party. A poor little victim in a world of powerful but heartless agents, a rebel being punished for not writing Twilight clones, a lone truthful voice in a culture of ass-kissing, etc etc.

defyalllogic
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
well agents do like to see that you can get yourself an audience...

i can't believer she uses her real name! if i was going to agent someone I'd gave them a quick Google, to see if anything came up like baby killings, or previous publications.

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
She said in an earlier entry that it's a fake name. Still wouldn't be hard for the mentioned agents to figure out who she is, given the dates, genre, etc.

Alwoody
04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Um, yeah, okay.

Rejection sucks, we know it, but to actually call industry professionals out like that?

I can't believe that she thinks everyone in publishing is against her.

Alpha Echo
04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Sheesh. Unbelievable. Doesn't she realize that if an agent did have interest in her, they're probably going to google her, and when they find that blog...there's no way they'd want her! Wow.

shaldna
04-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Wonder if she's a member here?

oooh.

on a professional note however, I have a director friend who works in theatre, and the first thing he does when he has a potential for casting is to google them. he reckons that you can find out alot about people from their blogs and facebook etc. And yes, he has come across people who have been bitching about him on thier facebook after an audition and then were still suprised when they didn't get the part

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Ugh. People just don't realize how visible you are on the internet. I get silly on my blog sometimes, but I never trash talk the industry. Why bite the hand that might someday feed you? I've always made a point of being very professional and positive when referring to the industry and its people.

And thank God for that...

About a year ago, I had a book contracted. Then the publisher merged with another, and my contract was dropped. It was disappointing, sure, but it happens. I posted about it, and I blogged about it, but it was entirely "well, that's a bummer, but it's okay, it happens."

Now I have two contracts with that publisher. When I mentioned in passing the previously contracted book, my editor remembered it.

Burn not thy bridges, folks.

Twizzle
04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
She said in an earlier entry that it's a fake name. Still wouldn't be hard for the mentioned agents to figure out who she is, given the dates, genre, etc.

Thank you-I didn't read very far back, so I missed that.

I'm not sure, given what I did read, though, that it would be all that easy (or worthwhile *snort*). Almost all the rejections seem to be form-and not the actual rejs-he/she is typing them his/herself. So dates, etc are changed easily. The Sc@tt E@gan one, that's indeed his letterhead (and he does email rejs on his letterhead)-but the date and salutation were changed and who knows what else. I can't quite see how it's traceable. But who knows. I didn't read that far back.

Obviously, it's someone who's queried or has access to someone who has. I recognized a few of those forms myself. But is it "real"? Eh. I'm going with not so much, myself. It seems a bit forced and over the top to me. Like someone trying to generate controversy and attention, pulling a stunt. So I'm going with I don't believe it, and I bet they're just loving this right now. *shrug* Genuine nutcase reads different to me.

KTC
04-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Has anyone seen this:

Rejection is frustrating, but if you must vent, its best to do it privately. Not on the internet where everyone and their mom can read it. Especially agents and publishers.

Not good at all.

It seems she is really "fuking" pissed. I think the first picture there, of the burning manuscript, is a good one for her to have. That's what she's doing with her chances. Nice.

KTC
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
WHO DOES THIS?

# 1: Janet Reid is a bitch. Plain and simple. Don't even bother with her. I get a mental image of some old hag who thinks her shit don't stink. # 2-Nathan Brandsford thinks he's god's gift to the literary world.. # 3- Jillian Manus and her whole pathetic literary agency. # 4 - Curtis Brown and his nimrod agents oh and # 5--Writer's House Agents..."HEY AGENTS AT WRITER'S HOUSE! FUCK YOU. I HOPE ONE DAY I GET TO TELL YOU THAT TO YOUR FACE.

WOW. JUST WOW!

KTC
04-23-2010, 03:43 PM
She should turn that energy inward and concentrate on making herself a better writer. That's how we get accepted. I am guessing she's burned too many bridges now, though.

Maybe her stats will show her that she's getting links from this thread...and maybe she'll read it and think again about her monumental mistake.

NeuroFizz
04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Time to either get a beta reader or shove it in a draw and try again.
Who in their freaking right mind would beta for this woman?

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM

I sure as hell wouldn't.

KTC
04-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Good point. They'd be the next one skewered on her site.

Christine N.
04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
and she's even hired 'professional editors', because two rejection notices said her writing wasn't as clean as it could be.

Who DOES that? I know in other countries it's common practice, but not here. She could have taken that money and bought some writing courses. Learn to write, don't pay people to show you how; if you still get rejected after you've paid the editor, you've basically wasted your money.

(I've done copyediting for money, but that's NOT the same thing.)

Sara Lou
04-23-2010, 04:17 PM
If their manuscript was poorly proofed as their first rant than that probably had something to do with why they were rejected. Not trying to be mean, but it is what it is. It's good to vent, but this blog takes it to a new level. Personal attacks are just not nice, and I'm quite certain if one of these agents turns around and says yes later on, the 'Rejection Queen' would probably be more than happy to accept them.

Lisa Cox
04-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow. I kind of want to take her aside and have a word with her, because I can't believe she'd be doing this if someone explained to her why it's such a bad idea.

Although one would think basic common sense is enough...

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Wow. I kind of want to take her aside and have a word with her, because I can't believe she'd be doing this if someone explained to her why it's such a bad idea.

Although one would think basic common sense is enough...

People have done so. Several times The comments are loaded with people saying "Erm, dude? Srsly? Not a good idea." She disagrees.

I cannot believe I just wasted an hour of my life reading it all the way back to the beginning...(yes, I skimmed over a lot of posts)

Lisa Cox
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Really? And she's still doing it? Okay, my curiosity's getting the better of me -- now I'm going to waste an hour of my time reading beyond the first post...

Dude, shouldn't you be on a plane?!

NeuroFizz
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Reforming one so steeped in righteous indignation is a job for no mortal. I suggest evisceration-by-haskins as a suitable starting point.

Calla Lily
04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
This is why Websense blocks blogs. I'd be spending most of my workday watching this trainwreck. :eek:

Ruth2
04-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Um, yeah, okay.

Rejection sucks, we know it, but to actually call industry professionals out like that?

I can't believe that she thinks everyone in publishing is against her.

Although at this point it may end up a self-fulfilling prophecy.

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Really? And she's still doing it? Okay, my curiosity's getting the better of me -- now I'm going to waste an hour of my time reading beyond the first post...

Yeah, it's insane. Srsly.

Dude, shouldn't you be on a plane?!

We leave for the airport in a few hours. Then we will sit around for a few more hours until they decide whether or not we're boarding that plane. If we are, we'll sit around for a few hours until we get on and take off. If we aren't, we'll sit...you get the idea.

Reforming one so steeped in righteous indignation is a job for no mortal. I suggest evisceration-by-haskins as a suitable starting point.

I think someone should sic scarletpeaches on her...

emilycross
04-23-2010, 05:13 PM
wow, Just wow.

Damn it, another way to procrastinate for the afternoon away . . .

Bubastes
04-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Exactly. Even with my limited Google-fu skills, I even found the blog (http://mindymorgan.blogspot.com/)and Facebook page of her friend. It would be quite easy to figure out who it is with a little more digging.

Soccer Mom
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Good grief. She's posting personalized rejections. Anonymous? I don't think so.

Calla Lily
04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
And writers wonder why more agents are going with "no response means no".

Perks
04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I like her. She makes me look patient and normal.

Bubastes
04-23-2010, 05:30 PM
She makes me look downright comatose.

Perks
04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
But anyway, I think I sent out over 100 queries on Friday.

Seriously? That's mental. I'm all for lobbing a half to a baker's dozen at any given time, but if your query isn't right, do you really want to wipe out a hundred potential agents in one lunatic eruption?

Oi.

sunna
04-23-2010, 05:38 PM
:eek:

Man, that's a whole lotta crazy happening there.

Bubastes
04-23-2010, 05:39 PM
So, think she'll join AW?

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Good God.

Querying is frustrating as hell. I have almost 150 rejections under my belt from agents. It's part of the game. Sooner or later, someone will bite. I'll keep writing better stuff, keep polishing my queries (and blackmailing scarletpeaches into writing them for me), and keep submitting.

But starting a blog like that? No, I think not. Putting a bullet through my left foot would be more conducive to furthering my career.As long as you keep furnishing me with filth, I am more than willing.

Entertainment is one thing. Posting actual names and calling them out for being "shady", "a bitch", "liars", etc...that's just professional suicide.

I should totally be packing for my trip right now, but I can't stop reading this blog...We both know someone who disses agents on her blog (or at least did in one of her previous blogs). The same person who was rejected at a job interview and very proudly blogged about running into this person and shouting "Wanker!" at them from a distance.

This is the same attitude, writ large. And...:eek:

I think someone should sic scarletpeaches on her...Regarding the previous section of this post - we both know people like this don't listen.

You can't reason with unreason.
Seriously? That's mental. I'm all for lobbing a half to a baker's dozen at any given time, but if your query isn't right, do you really want to wipe out a hundred potential agents in one lunatic eruption?

Oi.To be momentarily serious - yeah, I know;) - in the UK, agents generally look for snail mail. I'll send out two or three at a time, then later in the week another two or three. So batches of five for me, at around about £3 return each.

For email queries, I stick to epubs, so send one query per book, to one publisher at a time. Despite their 'six weeks or so' warnings, in the main I get a reply (usually a favourable one) within a few days.

Phaeal
04-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I bet Nathan Bransford is breathing a sigh of relief that she misspelled his name, so no one will know he's stuck-up. ;) LOL, plus Janet Reid is a bitch, but Jen lists Reid's blog in her "follows" list.

She even puts down the agents who've requested her work. Will someone please call the waaahmbulance for her? She's obviously turned her OnStar off.

Seriously, though. Just another casualty of the Age of Entitlement.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 06:00 PM
This is so far beyond WTF I'm inclined to believe it's a monumental piss-take. It's gotta be, right?

Chris P
04-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Either a piss-take or she's one of those people who aren't happy unless she has a villain to blame for everything. You could give such people everything they want on a silver platter and they'd claim we kept the platinum platters for ourselves.

Phaeal
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think so. I think the blogger might try to retreat behind the mantle of insincerity, but her entries have the wail of true frustrated entitlement about them.

Bubastes
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Her comments on other sites reflect the same entitlement attitude, so I suspect she's real.

CheyElizabeth
04-23-2010, 06:18 PM
HOLY FREAKING CRAP. I can't believe my eyes.

Wow. Just, wow. I'm now leaving AW for a while to read all of this wacko's entries.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I would love to read her comments on other sites.

She reminds me of a few people I know, both online and in real life. I'd love to lock them in a room together and witness the fallout.

Perks
04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Ha! Mr. Haskins has spied upon us and now it's on AuthorScoop (http://authorscoop.com/2010/04/23/discussion-of-the-day-dirty-literary-laundry/).

ChaosTitan
04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
I saw this via a Twitter link the other day and was wondering when it would become a thread here on AW.

I have no words.

dolores haze
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Oh, dear. I am so hoping that this is a hoax.

Dammit - why can't I just point fingers and laugh? Why do I have to feel sorry for that silly girl and her writing career, ruined before it has even started? Bleeding frickin' heart that I am. Someone please slap some sense into me.

Namatu
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Seriously? That's mental. I'm all for lobbing a half to a baker's dozen at any given time, but if your query isn't right, do you really want to wipe out a hundred potential agents in one lunatic eruption?But there are hundreds more! It seems unlikely she's restricting herself to agents who rep her genre.

Amazing.

Dolores, consider yourself slapped. ;) A little common sense could eliminated the whole train wreck.

Parametric
04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Oh, dear. I am so hoping that this is a hoax.

Dammit - why can't I just point fingers and laugh? Why do I have to feel sorry for that silly girl and her writing career, ruined before it has even started? Bleeding frickin' heart that I am. Someone please slap some sense into me.

If it helps, the commenters during her first months of blogging offered excellent advice - writers' sites, critique groups, query workshops, etc. She blew them off.

houndrat
04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Guys,I think it's a total hoax. Not only that, but visiting the site crashed my internet-every time I try to open up a website, it leads me to antispyware protection.

I think this thread should be titled "how to crash kill your computer."

(I'm on desktop until hubs gets home, sigh.....)

Cassiopeia
04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Dear Rejection Queen,

Let me introduce you to my friend The Journal. This is where you bitch and moan about stuff that will only get you in trouble if you say it in public. Go ahead and write that your boss is an asshole, your mother in law is fat, your landlord is a good-for-nothing cheap bastard and you can't wait to get away from him--and of course include your tirade about how stupid and evil literary agents are and how they wouldn't know a masterpiece if it fell from the sky and bonked them on the head. Obviously, they're just too stupid to "get" you, the losers.

You write all that, then you lock it with your little dollar store lock and stash it away in your underwear drawer.

This will save you a lot of heartache in life.

Sincerely,
HelloKiddo*standing ovation* well played. :)

I should totally be packing for my trip right now, but I can't stop reading this blog...not only is it professional suicide, it's defamation of character and its in public view.

If she's got your attention I think she's got what she wanted. :)

Red-Green
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM
And The Stupid™ isn't just limited to her writing career. Just reading about her encounters with her roommate is a little window into the world of someone so willfully ignorant as to take on a roommate without understanding the legal ramifications of it.

Perks
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Guys,I think it's a total hoax. Not only that, but visiting the site crashed my internet-every time I try to open up a website, it leads me to antispyware protection.

Really? That's weird. I've looked at the site a few times and I'm not having any problems.

Eep! Anyone else?

Cassiopeia
04-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Really? That's weird. I've looked at the site a few times and I'm not having any problems.

Eep! Anyone else?Nope not a single problem here.

firedrake
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM

(I'm on desktop until hubs gets home, sigh.....)

I'm thinking the same thing. McAfee nailed a Trojan on my laptop this morning.

sunna
04-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Eep! Anyone else?

Yep, I got hit with one too, though nothing that redirects.

I don't think it's a hoax, though. It's been around too long.

DeskBoundTeaDrinker
04-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Having read the most recent post, I'm just really intrigued by the trend of "paranomoral" fiction. Vamps with no morals? Trampy vamps?

Bubastes
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Having read the most recent post, I'm just really intrigued by the trend of "paranomoral" fiction. Vamps with no morals? Trampy vamps?

Edward having sex before marriage?

Bookdragonette
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Vamps with no morals? Trampy vamps? Isn't that vampires as should be?

Miss Plum
04-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Oh dear me, that's SUCH a trainwreck that I just might buy her book when it comes out.

houndrat
04-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Yep, I got hit with one too, though nothing that redirects.

I don't think it's a hoax, though. It's been around too long.

My anti-virus stuff is probably woefullly out-of-date, so I imagine that's why. ARGH.

And, lol...I guess I'm naive believing no one could really be that stupid? Don't you all think it's all for show, to get clicks? Who spells the F word wrong????

Parametric
04-23-2010, 07:22 PM
And, lol...I guess I'm naive believing no one could really be that stupid? Don't you all think it's all for show, to get clicks? Who spells the F word wrong????

I've met tons of people like her. There are even some kicking around this site - most of them on my ignore list, I'm happy to say.

Cyia
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I ran Malware Bytes on my system just to make sure and it didn't catch anything.

MrKennedy
04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Wow...I've been frustrated by rejection, but she needs to be honest with herself: If agents couldn't pick good books, there would be no good books out. I'm sure she thinks that her book is the best that the written word can be, but...and yes, there is some shlock out there, but when you're constantly rejected (like I was with my first novel), it's either your query letter, your ms, or maybe your attitude.

She needs to keep that in mind...

houndrat
04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
That's so weird, Cyia. I wonder what happened to mine? Maybe I'll send link to hubs and see what he can figure out. So weird..and annoying--I HATE THE DESKTOP!

:D

kaitie
04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
As soon as I saw the phrase "I'm a soon to be published author," my first thought was PA, too.

I can't believe anyone is idiotic enough to do this. Well, yeah, actually I can.

icerose
04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I just don't even get the completely nasty attitude that writer has.

Miss Plum
04-23-2010, 07:55 PM
As if her misspellings and rants aren't sufficient indication of her writing skills, she gives us these gems:

This editor guy really opened my eyes to things I was so blind too. I never really knew that shortening sentences could really clean up my writing. For some reason, I've always had it in my head that longer sentences made writing more elegant. I guess I was wrong.and:

One of the editors pointed out something crucial. After 3 years of working on this book I never seemed to get that I was adding an unnecessary "s" to my character's last name??? For example, I was writing, "Winters" instead of "Winter."....ex. John Winter not John Winters...ugh!!!! I can't believe I oversaw that.

hester
04-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Edited to remove post-felt sorta bad.

Marian Perera
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
AVG didn't give me any warnings about the site. I hope it's safe, because I can't look away from the spectacle.

djf881
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
There's no career there to suicide. Her writing is clearly horrible.

Christine N.
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
And either she's really clever or just not paying attention - her Goodreads account is linked to the blog, under the same name.

So either it really is a fake name or...not.

dgrintalis
04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
It's sad that despite the fact that so many people have left comments telling her that she's shooting herself in the foot with her posts, she continues to do so. What a train wreck.

Sara Lou
04-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Who is PA?

Cyia
04-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Who is PA?

Publish America.

willietheshakes
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
It's sad that despite the fact that so many people have left comments telling her that she's shooting herself in the foot with her posts, she continues to do so. What a train wreck.

It's the attention thing. You see it in (misbehaving) kids and attention-whores of all ages: ALL attention is rewarding, and if you can't get good attention, you'll act out to get bad attention.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
It's sad that despite the fact that so many people have left comments telling her that she's shooting herself in the foot with her posts, she continues to do so. What a train wreck.Chin up. With any 'luck' she'll try to turn her trainwreck of a blog into an "everyone's against me" memoir.

joeyc
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
AVG didn't give me any warnings about the site. I hope it's safe, because I can't look away from the spectacle.

My antivirus and spyware said nothing, either. But I'm running scans now just in case.

Kitty27
04-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Er,ahem.

Oh my damn.

Aubie
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
One Word.

Lunatic

artemis31386
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
So, think she'll join AW?
I think she could learn a few things from AW authors. But honestly, I don't think she's mature enough for this industry. If she throws a hissy fit of this level, she needs to rethink her career choices.

Rejection is hard, but its a part of life.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Nothing happened to me going on that site.

DeadlyAccurate
04-23-2010, 09:15 PM
It's a Blogger site. Would it even be possible for 3rd party malware to come from it?

Tasmin21
04-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Is she allowing ads on it? Could have come from one of the ads, and that's why it's not popping for everyone, 'cause the ad has cycled out.

polleekin
04-23-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking the same thing. McAfee nailed a Trojan on my laptop this morning.

Ugh, wish I'd read these posts before clicking over to the blog, I got hit with something, too. Since I haven't been to many sites today (email, AW), seems likely it came from that.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Er,ahem.

Oh my damn.Vampire authors = batshit.

You and I have a lot to live up to, my friend.

Kitty27
04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I admire the patient and obviously kind people who are trying so hard to help her.

She's obviously gone cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

Kitty27
04-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Vampire authors = batshit.

You and I have a lot to live up to, my friend.

Judging by this poor soul, we will have to abandon our normal crazy and go bungee jumping with no cord.

When we are published and dominating things, we will throw the biggest bat fuck mad fit the internet has EVER seen,Scarlet.

Marian Perera
04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I can't shake the impression that there's something... calculated about the blog.

Whether it's the pictures, the cartoons about publishing or the quotes in the titles of the posts - they're a contrast to the writing, which is often crude and slapdash. Maybe deliberately so?

Or maybe I just can't believe anyone is so clueless about the consequences of doing this.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Judging by this poor soul, we will have to abandon our normal crazy and go bungee jumping with no cord.

When we are published and dominating things, we will throw the biggest bat fuck mad fit the internet has EVER seen,Scarlet.You deserve an award for that.

I say we go tag-team loony-tunes on Amazon, Facebook, Blogger and AW in a co-ordinated internet blitzkrieg of unhinged bungee-jumping-off-Sanity-Bridge-with-no-cord career suicide.

KTC
04-23-2010, 09:38 PM
I too like Cocoa Puffs.

gothicangel
04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Do you think if she's being published by PA, is she saying that in the query?

That would probably answer the quick response form letters.

Cyia
04-23-2010, 09:46 PM
You deserve an award for that.

I say we go tag-team loony-tunes on Amazon, Facebook, Blogger and AW in a co-ordinated internet blitzkrieg of unhinged bungee-jumping-off-Sanity-Bridge-with-no-cord career suicide.

No Twitter?

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Damn. Forgot about that.

Okay, add Twitter to the 'batshit checklist'.

Terie
04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
According to this in her archive (http://rejectionqueen.blogspot.com/2009/06/self-publishingis-it-really-worth-it.html), her publisher is Grand Central Publishing, which is 100% legit. Which increases the bafflement. Though if her sense of entitlement comes across in her query, that might be the problem.

Still, the bottom line is that selling a book to a publisher, even a good one, is no guarantee of getting an agent or selling your next book.

Cassiopeia
04-23-2010, 09:49 PM
someone said chocolate, I know they did

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 09:50 PM
My Editor-in-Chief told me this afternoon that me and sanity aren't exactly close pals, so...

I guess I must be loveably batshit. :D

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 10:07 PM
My Editor-in-Chief told me this afternoon that me and sanity aren't exactly close pals, so...

I guess I must be loveably batshit. :D

It's a good thing she had me as a warmup. Something to prepare her for your brand of batshittery.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes. She suggested that SOMEONE had dropped hints as to the precarious nature of my hold on reality...http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpg

KTC
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
i hold reality all the time.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
She's getting some interesting comments.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
i hold reality all the time.Do you cry when it fights back?

Greg Wilson
04-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I can't shake the impression that there's something... calculated about the blog.

Whether it's the pictures, the cartoons about publishing or the quotes in the titles of the posts - they're a contrast to the writing, which is often crude and slapdash. Maybe deliberately so?

Or maybe I just can't believe anyone is so clueless about the consequences of doing this.

Agreed. This seems like an obvious joke to me (she/he even refers to the site as "entertainment" in one of the comments).

Greg

thethinker42
04-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes. She suggested that SOMEONE had dropped hints as to the precarious nature of my hold on reality...http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpghttp://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Hitler.jpg

All I said was that you are my writing partner. Hmm...I guess I see your point.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Agreed. This seems like an obvious joke to me (she/he even refers to the site as "entertainment" in one of the comments).

Greg

Pretty sick joke.

Perks
04-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Hope each agent she slams has a really good sense of humor.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
All I said was that you are my writing partner. Hmm...I guess I see your point.Imagine how insane I'll be when I publish something vampiric.

Mental bloodsuckerage is all the rage now, you know. All the cool kids are going whoops-where's-my-strait-jacket online.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Hope each agent she slams has a really good sense of humor.

They'd have too. I don't find it humorous.

Cassiopeia
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
They'd have too. I don't find it humorous.That and a very forgiving nature.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 10:48 PM
That and a very forgiving nature.

Chances are the ones who are being blasted have been sent links.

Cassiopeia
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Chances are the ones who are being blasted have been sent links.Which makes you wonder, what the blogger is up to. Surely they know the philosophy that once you burn a bridge, it takes a lot more effort to rebuild it than to have repaired the old one.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Chances are, she thinks her real identity will never be found out.

scarletpeaches
04-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Which makes you wonder, what the blogger is up to. Surely they know the philosophy that once you burn a bridge, it takes a lot more effort to rebuild it than to have repaired the old one.Or, y'know...write another, better book...

JanDarby
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't find it humorous

That's the thing I find most peculiar. I mean, if you're going to do something like this for the entertainment value and ongoing attention, then it should be ENTERTAINING. Not just in a one-day-wonder train-wreck kind of a way, but in a clever or funny or insightful kind of way that would make people want to come back to see who'll be (insightfully or amusingly) skewered next.

Sure, I went and read a few entries (not the whole thing, so maybe there's more interesting stuff that I missed), but do I have any interest in going back on another day? Nope.

JD

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I skimmed through it. What I got was how much her life sucked and all the rejections she's getting.

CaroGirl
04-23-2010, 11:05 PM
i hold reality all the time.
Oh, is that her name?

Miss Plum
04-23-2010, 11:06 PM
According to this in her archive (http://rejectionqueen.blogspot.com/2009/06/self-publishingis-it-really-worth-it.html), her publisher is Grand Central Publishing, which is 100% legit. Which increases the bafflement.

Hmmm. She also says, "I haven't heard anything from the publisher lately other than the 6-8 months process."

That was on June 10, 2009.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Maybe it fell through?

Terie
04-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Hmmm. She also says, "I haven't heard anything from the publisher lately other than the 6-8 months process."

That was on June 10, 2009.

In March of this year, she mentions the book coming out 'next month'. Using Amazon's advanced search, I checked all of Grand Central's books coming out in April, May, and June. I checked both male and female names I didn't recognize, looking for debut novels. But the only two that looked like debuts to me are for people living on the East Coast, and she mentions living in Southern California.

I duz not haz Teh Google-Fu.

(Can you tell that I'm supposed to be writing? Why else would I spend waste my time doing something so silly?!)

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Do you need an agent to submit to Grand Central?

Bubastes
04-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Yes, you need an agent. From their website (http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/customer_faqs.aspx#2-6):

Publishers in the Hachette Book Group (including Grand Central Publishing, Business Plus, FaithWords, Center Street, Mystery, Orbit, Little, Brown and Company, Back Bay Books, Bulfinch, Springboard Press, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers) are not able to consider unsolicited manuscript submissions and unsolicited queries. Many major publishers have a similar policy. Unsolicited manuscripts, submissions and queries will not be answered and the publisher will have the right to destroy any unsolicited material or mail without returning to the sender.

If you are interested in having a manuscript considered for publication, we recommend that you first enlist the services of an established literary agent. Many literary agencies can be located in Bowker's Literary MarketPlace (commonly known as the "LMP"), an annual reference publication which can be found in most major libraries. These literary agencies, in turn, have guidelines for submitting manuscripts. You can find out more about the LMP at Literary MarketPlace.

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 11:24 PM
From their website (http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/publishing_grand-central-publishing.aspx):

So, she appears not to have an agent. How would she get accepted by them? Isn't the whole point of the blog being how she's always rejected by agents?

Soccer Mom
04-23-2010, 11:27 PM

Yes.

From their website (http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/customer_faqs.aspx#2-6):

<H3>Manuscript Submissions and Unsolicited Queries

Publishers in the Hachette Book Group *snip* are not able to consider unsolicited manuscript submissions and unsolicited queries. Many major publishers have a similar policy. Unsolicited manuscripts, submissions and queries will not be answered and the publisher will have the right to destroy any unsolicited material or mail without returning to the sender.

If you are interested in having a manuscript considered for publication, we recommend that you first enlist the services of an established literary agent. Many literary agencies can be located in Bowker's Literary MarketPlace (commonly known as the "LMP"), an annual reference publication which can be found in most major libraries. These literary agencies, in turn, have guidelines for submitting manuscripts. You can find out more about the LMP at Literary MarketPlace (http://www.literarymarketplace.com/).
</H3>

Soccer Mom
04-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Heh, cross-posted with Bubastes. I think she's just an attention-seeking troll.

Bubastes
04-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Heh, cross-posted with Bubastes. I think she's just an attention-seeking troll.

u guyz on AW r a bunch of jelus loosers who dun apprshiate mah jeenyus.

Soccer Mom
04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
u guyz on AW r a bunch of jelus loosers who dun apprshiate mah jeenyus.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

waylander
04-23-2010, 11:47 PM
I simply do not believe that if she has a deal with Grand Central, she is getting form rejections from agents.
I find it easy to believe that she is a mad as a fruitbat

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I simply do not believe that if she has a deal with Grand Central, she is getting form rejections from agents.
I find it easy to believe that she is a mad as a fruitbat:D

Jamesaritchie
04-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Her attitude is the least of her problems. She can't write, she can't spell, she uses lousy construction, etc. A terrible attitude isn't going to hurt her. Even with a great attitude, her lack of talent and skill would stop her dead.

Cassiopeia
04-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Or, y'know...write another, better book...
for her that would be a betterER book.

Her attitude is the least of her problems. She can't write, she can't spell, she uses lousy construction, etc. A terrible attitude isn't going to hurt her. Even with a great attitude, her lack of talent and skill would stop her dead.um..yup.

vnNichols
04-24-2010, 01:18 AM

It's not that hard to figure out who she is.

I found the blog last night via twitter, and couldn't look away from the trainwreck. Rubbernecker points for me.

And, if I think I was able to figure out who she was, I garanTEE the agenting community knows.

KTC
04-24-2010, 01:27 AM
I find it easy to believe that she is a mad as a fruitbat

I can tolerate a lot of things, but let's not be mean to fruitbats! Comparing her to a fruitbat is doing an injustice to the fruitbat.

Christine N.
04-24-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm still not buying the Grand Central Publishing deal. She's complained they suck, been fighting with them over errors in her book (which I cannot imagine would be an issue; if she found errors, GCP would be happy to correct them).

Same deal with spelling her name wrong on the cover.

Then she says the cover art is nothing like what they discussed, and she's fighting with them over it. Uh, you don't DO that with major publishers. They do cover art, you look at it, they print it. No discussion.

And finally there's the '6-8 month turnaround'. This seems dubious to me. I know Little Brown authors, and other major publisher authors, and A YEAR is super speedy to them, usually closer to 14-18 months and up.

It doesn't seem plausible.

Cassiopeia
04-24-2010, 02:00 AM
I think we need to remember that she's one card shy of a full deck and lives in La-La Land. You know, where the wannabes go?

Oh, yeah, did I tell you I live there?

*nods*

Permanently. :)

Parametric
04-24-2010, 02:02 AM
I wondered if there was another Grand Central. Scammers often mimic the names of reputable agents and publishers to confuse the unwary.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Is she related to Lady Sillybilly Potatohead?

Christine N.
04-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Exactly. Even with my limited Google-fu skills, I even found the blog (http://mindymorgan.blogspot.com/)and Facebook page of her friend. It would be quite easy to figure out who it is with a little more digging.

And not to pick on her friend (who is also being published, I'm thinking by the same publisher), but she is almost equally as gormless about publishing. She sent a copy of her manuscript to herself to 'establish copyright'. Registered mail.

A little googling would have told her Poor Man's Copyright is a myth, and you don't even register copyright until it's published, and it's the publisher's job. She also seemed to go back and forth with several rounds of revisions before being offered a contract. That sounds hinky to me - she also doesn't seem to have an agent - with such a large publisher. You would think agents would be throwing themselves at a woman like that maybe?

But at least she's not bashing agents. She seems like a nice lady.

Adam
04-24-2010, 02:27 AM
And the Literary Darwin Award goes to...

Shadow_Ferret
04-24-2010, 02:34 AM
That blog is awesome! That's how I feel after every rejection I get. I just have the sense not to say it outloud. She's my new hero.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 02:39 AM
I can honestly say I don't feel like that after a rejection - and if I did, you're damn right I wouldn't say it anywhere near my blog.

Cyia
04-24-2010, 02:43 AM
When I checked the blog the first time, I think there were less than 20 comments. Now there's over 50, so she's gaining speed toward being "Trainwreck of the week". Next stop Fandom Wank and possibly an offer to buy her blog for publication...

Giant Baby
04-24-2010, 02:48 AM
And not to pick on her friend (who is also being published, I'm thinking by the same publisher), but she is almost equally as gormless about publishing. She sent a copy of her manuscript to herself to 'establish copyright'. Registered mail.

A little googling would have told her Poor Man's Copyright is a myth, and you don't even register copyright until it's published, and it's the publisher's job. She also seemed to go back and forth with several rounds of revisions before being offered a contract. That sounds hinky to me - she also doesn't seem to have an agent - with such a large publisher. You would think agents would be throwing themselves at a woman like that maybe?

But at least she's not bashing agents. She seems like a nice lady.

Maybe we could focus on your last 2 sentences where the friend is concerned?

Monkey
04-24-2010, 03:35 AM
She worries that an agent whom she sent the "whole synopsis" will steal her book idea, and says that she isn't excited about sending out a requested full, because she "know(s) what the outcome will be."

She talks about her novel coming out "next month" in March, but in April, she says she's editing her first book and working on her second.

I guess it's a good look at what writing is like for the willfully uninformed. The name calling is shocking, certainly. Other than that, meh.

vnNichols
04-24-2010, 04:01 AM
She worries that an agent whom she sent the "whole synopsis" will steal her book idea, and says that she isn't excited about sending out a requested full, because she "know(s) what the outcome will be."

She talks about her novel coming out "next month" in March, but in April, she says she's editing her first book and working on her second.

I guess it's a good look at what writing is like for the willfully uninformed. The name calling is shocking, certainly. Other than that, meh.

In the entry where the first book was supposedly accepted, she said she thought that books came out a month after they were contracted.

And, apparently, if she's ever famous she plans on stalking Chris Isaak.

It's uh... interesting.

Kitty27
04-24-2010, 04:13 AM
You deserve an award for that.

You got me,sister.

I've been crazy for years!

M.R.J. Le Blanc
04-24-2010, 04:27 AM
A writer who commits career suicide before her career even starts just means it's one less writer I have to compete with :Shrug:

Christine N.
04-24-2010, 04:34 AM
Maybe we could focus on your last 2 sentences where the friend is concerned?

I agree; not trying to pick on the poor woman who happens to be a friend of this whackjob. At leat the crazy hasn't rubbed off on her.

I'm just concerned at what she believes as far as publishing is concerned. In this case gormless probably should have been replaced with woefully misinformed. I'm hoping this nice lady isn't taken for a ride.

It all adds up to my wondering at this publisher. I can't believe GCP would send back a ms for mulitple revisions without a contract or agent. I'm not positive they are publishing both Whackjob and her friend's books.

vnNichols
04-24-2010, 04:42 AM
Uh oh. Someone just anonymously posted her info.

It was PA.

Cyia
04-24-2010, 05:05 AM
If nothing else, that last post should give her authonomy book a boost.

And, ick - no wonder she hates her cover. They gave her the oft-used "red drop cloth" cover that's a frequent flier in the PA's stock image thread in B&BC.

Soccer Mom
04-24-2010, 06:19 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone outed her.

She can't be as clueless as she acts. If she'd read even half the blogs she lists she would have a basic understanding of publishing. She knows PA is bad. That's why she is telling everyone it's Grand Central. But for her family and friends she can pretend to be published author.

It's sad.

HelloKiddo
04-24-2010, 07:54 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone outed her.

She can't be as clueless as she acts. If she'd read even half the blogs she lists she would have a basic understanding of publishing. She knows PA is bad. That's why she is telling everyone it's Grand Central. But for her family and friends she can pretend to be published author.

It's sad.

I agree with everything you said.

I read a bit of the excerpt the snitch posted a link to and it's not the worst thing I've ever read. Not bad for a beginner, but not good enough for a major publisher (I don't think).

I feel bad for her about being outed, but I suppose she had it coming. She posted other people's names, info and private letters without their permission.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I love that "Whuteva! Ah do whut ah want!" made it into the comments.

And someone said they wouldn't give her tree fiddy for her novel.

Neither of those were from me, but I so, so wish they were! :D

Gravity
04-24-2010, 08:23 AM
I think the poor girl simply needs some pudding. Some nice warm chocolate pudding would turn her from a snarly old grumpy-puss into a perky, can-do lady.

Especially if it was laced with enough methamphetamine to buzz the entire Tampa Bay Buccaneers second-string squad...

blacbird
04-24-2010, 08:37 AM
There was never a "career".

I can empathize.

caw

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah but you're just a miserable sod, not a complete bats-in-the-belfry-wheel's-spinning-but-the-hamster's-dead fruitloop-a-go-go at St Winifred's Home for the Mentally Bewildered case.

HelloKiddo
04-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah but you're just a miserable sod, not a complete bats-in-the-belfry-wheel's-spinning-but-the-hamster's-dead fruitloop-a-go-go at St Winifred's Home for the Mentally Bewildered case.

See, if her blogs were as entertaining as your post she wouldn't be published by PA. She'd be published by a real publisher, like you are.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 08:49 AM
I love you.

Kaiser-Kun
04-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Holy Fuk! I was scared for a moment. I thought I knew this girl.

It got worse.

...I thought she was my ex. :eek:

Yay! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=799e7RFesrI)

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice try, assmunch.

*does not click*

Cassiopeia
04-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Nice try, assmunch.

*does not click*It was quite cute actually. too bad you miss out. :)

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Oh, believe you me...I know. Either I'm psychic or Kaiser-Kun has hit me by rep, PM and VM before and I've learned my lesson. ;)

HelloKiddo
04-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Holy Fuk! I was scared for a moment. I thought I knew this girl.

It got worse.

...I thought she was my ex. :eek:

I'm not gonna lie, I'd be laughing at you pretty hard if that were the case.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I'd be blaming him for driving her batshit. He looks like the kinda guy who's to blame for some pretty serious mental disorders.

Kaiser-Kun
04-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm not gonna lie, I'd be laughing at you pretty hard if that were the case.

Well, it'd explain her rejection issues. If you know what I mean.

Cassiopeia
04-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Well, it'd explain her rejection issues. If you know what I mean.

On a different note, I want that puppy you have in your avatar. What kind is it?

HelloKiddo
04-24-2010, 09:08 AM
It's sitting on top of his head and appears to be asleep. I had a dog like that once. You could put him in a dress and sit him upright in a chair and he'd just fall asleep like that, however you positioned him. He was a pretty funny dog.

Kaiser-Kun
04-24-2010, 09:08 AM
It's a beagle, AKA Lamest dog ever. It has no fangs, or claws, or anything to scare other people. But attitude.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/Kaiser-Kun/HPIM1213.jpg

CheekyWench
04-24-2010, 09:10 AM
It's a beagle, AKA Lamest dog ever. It has no fangs, or claws, or anything to scare other people. But attitude.

He looks like he's saying, "you people make my ass twitch."

Cassiopeia
04-24-2010, 09:10 AM

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/Kaiser-Kun/HPIM1213.jpgI want one. I thought it was a beagle. What an adorable baby.

blacbird
04-24-2010, 09:16 AM

Well, maybe.

But I'm working on it. I still have aspirations, ya know.

caw

Kaiser-Kun
04-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I want one. I thought it was a beagle. What an adorable baby.

Huggable, yes, but she's kind of a bitch.

Hehe. Bitch. 'Cuz she's a dog. And female. Got it?

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I hope she pissed on your head.

Kaiser-Kun
04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I hope she pissed on your head.

As I said, the girl in question is not my ex-

Oh! The dog. No, neither.

HelloKiddo
04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
As I said, the girl in question is not my ex-

That would also have been funny, but the pictures would probably be less adorable.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
That would also have been funny, but the pictures would probably be less adorable.Especially if she had proper diarrhoea instead of just verbal.

Cassiopeia
04-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Huggable, yes, but she's kind of a bitch.

Hehe. Bitch. 'Cuz she's a dog. And female. Got it?but i don't get the no fangs or claws..do beagles come that way?

HelloKiddo
04-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Especially if she had proper diarrhoea instead of just verbal.

This post can be marked as the exact point at which this discussion went from wrong to so very very wrong.

colealpaugh
04-24-2010, 09:57 AM
My kid taught hers (http://www.colealpaugh.com/tyBagel.jpg) to yodel people to death. A beagle owner knows all about the power of the yodel.:Wha:

Terie
04-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Maybe it's a good idea to capture the comment outing the truth. If I'm wrong, mods, please delete this post.

Jennifer Elizabeth Edlund

Her "Grand Central" book is actually GUNNING DOWN ROMANCE-- "published" by PublishAmerica.

http://www.publishamerica.net/product89020.html

And I totally feel bad for her. On fer Facebook page, she claimed a 15,000 copy print run. PublishAmerica probably took her for a fortune in editing fees, etc. And then when they finally sent her copies to review, she sees that it's riddled with errors etc. Which probably explains why now it's drastically marked down from $27.95 to $4.99

The novel that she's currently querying is BLACK FLOWERS

https://www.authonomy.com/ReadBook.aspx?bookid=19152&chapterid=187321#chapter

I've only scanned it, but what I saw was not bad. Maybe undistinguished. But if the story moves, it might be good genre fiction.

Still, I feel bad for her. She probably was taken in by the PublishAmerica people, thinking it was a reputable publishing company like, say Hachette/Grand Central.

And gosh, now she realizes that the query letters she's been sending out with PublishAmerica credit might be one of the things that are driving agents away from her. Yes, maybe she's guilty of not doing due diligence, but Ain't America a wonderful place?

Here's hoping her luck turns.

Miss Plum
04-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Nice detective work, Terie.

Terie
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Nice detective work, Terie.

It wasn't me. I just copied a comment from the blog. My detective work was an epic fail! :D

Paul
04-24-2010, 12:19 PM
"I met a new, sweet, sweet guy and we are going on another date tomorrow night :) Things seems to be looking up..."
from the blog.

wonder how that went...?

OctoberRain
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Gee. It took me about 5 seconds to look her up on both Facebook and Twitter. Her email address for both accounts matches the one she posted in the comments section of one of her blog posts.

A blog like this, you think she would have tried a whole lot harder to be anonymous.

Christine N.
04-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Further down in the comments is another link (http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5145497&id=111726901994) to a cover on her FB, which is different, and which has GCP as publisher on the back.

I'm no expert, but it looks like a photoshop job to me - the GCP logo is almost cut off, the font is weird, and in the "Barcode Here" place is says it was made with Cover Creator. I don't think I've ever seen an actual GCP cover that I recall, but this looks like amateur hour. Definitely not professional stuff.

Someone doesn't want anyone to know she's with PA - but then how will she promote the book??

Dear Dog.

ETA: It's definitely her, because the email on her FB profile matches the one she left in a comment for someone on the blog. Well, I guess the party's over for the Rejection Queen. Like none of those agents whose names were mentioned (because all agents have Google alerts and already KNOW what's been said about them) could figure out who she is.

And now, with a PA book? Combined with the attitude, she's pretty much done.

Wayne K
04-24-2010, 02:50 PM
# 2-Nathan Brandsford thinks he's god's gift to the literary world.

How the hell does someone hate Nathan Bransford? This woman is a dolt.

Maybe I'm the idiot, but I think he's as close as you can get. He's a friend of AW, he has all those contests and his blog. He gets people interested in writing.

Do I even have to mention how good looking he is? :D

I think RQ is going to be blogging about rejection for a very long time.

Wayne K
04-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Further down in the comments is another link (http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5145497&id=111726901994) to a cover on her FB, which is different, and which has GCP as publisher on the back.

I'm no expert, but it looks like a photoshop job to me - the GCP logo is almost cut off, the font is weird, and in the "Barcode Here" place is says it was made with Cover Creator. I don't think I've ever seen an actual GCP cover that I recall, but this looks like amateur hour. Definitely not professional stuff.

Someone doesn't want anyone to know she's with PA - but then how will she promote the book??

Dear Dog.

ETA: It's definitely her, because the email on her FB profile matches the one she left in a comment for someone on the blog. Well, I guess the party's over for the Rejection Queen. Like none of those agents whose names were mentioned (because all agents have Google alerts and already KNOW what's been said about them) could figure out who she is.

And now, with a PA book? Combined with the attitude, she's pretty much done.
Bolding mine

Maybe I'm the idiot, but I think he's as close as you can get. He's a friend of AW, he has all those contests and his blog. He gets people interested in writing.

I think RQ is going to be blogging about rejection for a very long time.
Did I mention how fair and good and intelligent he is?

:D

tanglewoodtracey
04-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Wow. I had never heard of her blog but I read several of the entries and I'm quite surprised by her venting.

Oh, and I wonder if her books suck.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
You guys, I think Wayne has him a ickle Nathan-crush. :D

Marian Perera
04-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Here's a link (http://www.publishamerica.net/product89020.html) to her PA book.

You can see that it shares a "reddish swirl" cover with no fewer than six other PA books (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4797786&postcount=334).

The covers on her Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jennifer-Edlund/111726901994) seem Photoshopped - they're not great, but they're much better than the Red Swirl. Still, the fonts used with them make it near-impossible to read the author's name and title unless you get up close.

Bubastes
04-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm starting to feel sorry for her. With all of the lies she's created about her book, what's will she do now that she's outed?

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Movie deal?

Terie
04-24-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm starting to feel sorry for her. With all of the lies she's created about her book, what's will she do now that she's outed?

Live with the consequences like actual adults have to, perhaps? Did you see the stuff she said about her family? Ouch.

Mr Flibble
04-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Bloody hell. And I thought I was nuts.

Bookdragonette
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I got contact embarrassment from the things she said about her former roommate.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I have no sympathy for her. She brought all this on herself. Sorry for her? Fuck, no. You made your bed, love. Lie in it.

Terie
04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
I have no sympathy for her. She brought all this on herself. Sorry for her? Fuck, no. You made your bed, love. Lie in it.

I'm sorry, but didn't you mean 'fuk, no'? ;)

scarletpeaches
04-24-2010, 05:56 PM
*shakes fist at Terie*

GAH!

Bubastes
04-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Judging by these (http://www.amazon.com/Get-Real-Donald-E-Westlake/dp/0446566632/ref=sr_1_85?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272117556&sr=1-85) few (http://www.amazon.com/Naamahs-Kushiel-Legacy-Jacqueline-Carey/dp/0446198048/ref=sr_1_87?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272117556&sr=1-87) examples (http://www.amazon.com/Drowning-People-Richard-Mason/dp/0446582867/ref=sr_1_92?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272117556&sr=1-92) (using the "Look Inside" feature), GCP doesn't even put its logo on the back cover.

ebenstone
04-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I was completely riveted by her stuff, which I discovered this morning. I've spent entirely too much time on her blog. What's scary is that I think she represents the majority of people out there in their understanding of the publishing industry. I've had several people ask me if I want "so & so" to look at my book because they are "published." (Sometimes meaning they took their "book" to Kinkos and had it bound.) I usually politely refuse.

I think people like her are the norm and it's a reflection of our society in a lot of ways (look at American Idol, hell look at this weekend's NFL draft for people that over value their talents). People don't believe in "paying dues" or "learning craft" any more.

And remember how mad people got at "QueryFail" last year?

Anyway, I'm rambling...my daughter's diaper needs to be changed!

Toothpaste
04-24-2010, 07:05 PM
What I don't understand is why she isn't deleting the comments in her blog that out her. That's what makes me wonder either about her mental stability or the veracity of her blog.

Btw: can someone point me towards the BookEnds post where she commented? I can't seem to find it.

Parametric
04-24-2010, 07:09 PM
What I don't understand is why she isn't deleting the comments in her blog that out her. That's what makes me wonder either about her mental stability or the veracity of her blog.

Btw: can someone point me towards the BookEnds post where she commented? I can't seem to find it.

Second from bottom. (https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=23051453&postID=1872176736924216195)

Cassiopeia
04-24-2010, 07:16 PM

I think RQ is going to be blogging about rejection for a very long time.QFT.

I have a crush on him too. ;)

Marian Perera
04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
A post from September 2008 (http://rejectionqueen.blogspot.com/2008/09/write-from-soul-not-from-some-notion.html):

I am no longer posting anymore pictures of myself on my blog and will not be using my real name. I guess itís a possibility that someone important could catch wind of my blog and smear my name around town and if that happened I would be screwed.

You think?

First of all, everyone needs to know that the reason I post these agencies up my blog is solely for the purpose of looking out for my fellow writers. I want my people to know which agencies are full of it, and the ones who are a waste of time. Of course, if I receive something positive from an agency I will mention that too. Basically, I am just trying to save writers the heartache and disappointed I have endured over the last three years.

Aww. She did it for us!

I feel so loved.

Cyia
04-24-2010, 08:07 PM
First of all, everyone needs to know that the reason I post these agencies up my blog is solely for the purpose of looking out for my fellow writers. I want my people to know which agencies are full of it, and the ones who are a waste of time. Of course, if I receive something positive from an agency I will mention that too. Basically, I am just trying to save writers the heartache and disappointed I have endured over the last three years.

Aww. She did it for us!

I feel so loved.

I know! Because anyone who rejected her can't possibly be legit or show interest in a different project! Wow, what a time saver.

Matera the Mad
04-25-2010, 05:47 AM
I wonder why K-Meleon (with adapted FFox ad-block) is my main browser :D

Sanity check fail:
I also write this blog to vent. Sometimes I feel like writing these agencies back and saying, “F-YOU”, but hey, that would get me nowhere and look pretty bad, so I do it here instead, ha ha.

Oh dear me, that's SUCH a trainwreck that I just might buy her book when it comes out.You'd have to buy it, it would never be considered worth pirating. :tongue

So, think she'll join AW?It would be an amusing, if brief, moment. A minor specimen for flounce-collectors. *Mod wipes goo off shoe* event. Sad.

I read this whole thread instead of doing something useful. *rolls eyes expressively*

friendlyhobo
04-25-2010, 06:52 AM
I'm just thinking how weird it is, on some site in internet land, there is a thread devoted to her and how ridiculous she is (so ridiculous) and she has no idea.
I'm sort of tempted to go on her blog and you know, give her a link. Just for the fireworks. Imagine the colors...
Then again, who wants AW to get THAT particular stink on them? That chick is a special kind of stink. The crazy kind that clearly holds a grudge, that is.

Bubastes
04-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Eh, we've had fireworks in the past with other nutcases who managed to find us. It's mildly entertaining, but not worth the bother.

DeadlyAccurate
04-25-2010, 07:02 AM
I'm just thinking how weird it is, on some site in internet land, there is a thread devoted to her and how ridiculous she is (so ridiculous) and she has no idea.
I'm sort of tempted to go on her blog and you know, give her a link. Just for the fireworks. Imagine the colors...
Then again, who wants AW to get THAT particular stink on them? That chick is a special kind of stink. The crazy kind that clearly holds a grudge, that is.

Someone in her blog comments linked to this thread, so she knows it's here if she's reading them.

Margarita Skies
04-25-2010, 07:03 AM
I don't regret spending time reading this thread instead of working on my current WIP, which is only half finished. Oh, well, I will work on it tomorrow. It was interesting to read what y'all think of this...um...should I say...nutcase? I mean I think she should be grateful. Sometimes, when agents are not interested in a writer's work they don't even spend a few minutes of their time writing and sending a rejection letter. They just act like they never received material from this writer. The fact that an agent cared enough to set aside a few minutes of his or her time to write a rejection letter, I repeat, she should be thankful for that. But then again, this woman is not even worth anyone's time. She didn't even stop and think before ruining the reputations of these agents. What an evil woman. If she wanted to talk trash about them to make her feel better, she should've at least done it offline, but no, she had to blog it...how selfish can you be? I hope I'm wrong, but I can see the lawsuits for libel coming.

Bubastes
04-25-2010, 07:16 AM
IMO, she didn't ruin the reputations of any agents. She's simply not that important. I doubt Nathan Bransford or Janet Reid are losing sleep over what she wrote about them. I suspect that she barely registers as background noise to them, if that.

thothguard51
04-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Wait a minute, she has a book that is getting published? By whom?

incognitopress
04-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks to the OP for this thread...I've lost more than an hour reading through that blog, looking her up on Facebook and reading the first couple pages of her book. But after laughing at the shock value of some of those entries, I just feel sorry for her. It's sad, really. She must be so full of anger, it can't be doing her any good. Perhaps self-publishing will give her some closure and she can get on with her life.

Terie
04-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Wait a minute, she has a book that is getting published? By whom?

PublishAmerica. Surprised?

Jenifer
04-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I... hm. I feel fan-tabulous about life right now. *big ol' cheesy pat on back* It's not great, but I suspect living under a bridge over a stagnant creek might be preferable to living in that head every day.

kaitie
04-25-2010, 10:19 AM
I've got Ad-block as well, and I haven't been hit with anything. I also block the AW ads (I still get to see the purdy book at the top of the page, though), so if it's coming through an ad, that explains why I haven't gotten it yet.

Anyway, this thread has been more entertaining that reading the blog itself. I truly can't believe that she's intended it as a joke.

I almost feel sorry for her. Almost. And I'm really good at feeling bad for people. But when someone does something this stupid/rude/childish, and thinks that they can do it without consequence...well, I'm happy to let life teach them a lesson or two without feeling bad about it. Maybe she'll actually learn something from this.

Axler
04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
She ought to base a novel on the premise of the blog and see if she could sell that. It's probably more entertaining than the book she's shopping around.

Monkey
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I came back just to see what came of this train wreck...

Man, I feel sorry for this girl. She knew PA was bad news--had to, if she read even a few of the blogs she links to, and must have, if she went through such efforts to hide who her "publisher" was.

But she did it anyway. She was angry, frustrated, and hurt--feelings that pretty much all of us have experienced at one time or another in this business. She openly claims to be a writer, and says that it was her chosen career, so I imagine she was getting a lot of outside pressure, too...well meaning family and friends who asked, at least occasionally, "So what have you written lately?" or "When's your book coming out?". I guess she just snapped.

Part of me is sad to see her called "nutjob" and such on this thread, because it pretty much guarantees that if she ever comes here, she'll do an auto-flounce. Writing is obviously something she really wants to do, and deeply cares about--and the fact that she's publically and sensationally scuttled her chances is probably punishment enough for the awful blog posts.

She's young. Maybe she'll start appologizing, drop PA, learn more about her craft, and start working harder. Maybe, in a year or two, people will believe her when she says, "I said a lot of stupid, unprofessional things when I was just starting out, but I'm really sorry, and I've grown up now."

It's possible. Maybe not likely, but possible.

I wish her the best, and hope that if she does come here, she'll stick around and learn something. But I'm not holding my breath.

And honestly, I can't say that I disagree with the comments on the thread so far...and I REALLY can't say that I didn't get a good laugh from a few of them. But after 10 pages of this, pity is winning out, big time.

shadowwalker
04-25-2010, 11:59 PM
There are people who want to be "writers" (want the fame and the praise) and there are people who want to write (willing to do and go through the hard stuff to maybe get the fame). I think she might tend toward the former. There are also people who prefer to be victims - no matter what they do, if it doesn't work out, it's not just someone else's fault - it's because that someone else is stupid or nasty or out to get them.

christwriter
04-26-2010, 01:36 AM
I discovered this blog last night via a completely unrelated blog troll. And while I don't feel this girl is ENTIRELY nuts (too coherent) I do think she's more than a little histrionic. She has discovered the world does not revolve around her, she has decided to reject this harsh fact, and the blog is her way of keeping reality out.

The current second entry makes me want to shake her until her teeth fall out. I can get professional jealousy, and God knows, I've had extremely bad bouts of depression when reality gets to me. I just take my meds and move on.

I also don't get two different high traffic areas reading about me, though. Maybe she really likes the attention.

Soccer Mom
04-26-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm going to lock this just so I can seperate out the virus/trojan/techie issues from this discussion.

ETA: And now we are unlocked. I moved all the other discussion to the tech forum. Lets be a little careful with the name calling. You don't want the bunny to disapprove.

Kitty27
04-26-2010, 02:10 AM
My kid taught hers (http://www.colealpaugh.com/tyBagel.jpg) to yodel people to death. A beagle owner knows all about the power of the yodel.:Wha:

Frightful beast!

My neighbor has one and the hound of Satan knows exactly when I am about to fall asleep.

This chick reminds me of that crazy woman who hates/stalks Nora Roberts.

Good grief,the poor woman is unhinged and not in the good way. Perhaps,she needs to take a break from writing,go on a vacation or something and chill. Then come back,recharged and refreshed. Being that angry is not good for the psyche or spirit.

Terie
04-26-2010, 08:43 AM
She's apparently come back from her trip (mentioned in the Authonomy comments) and taken down the last couple of posts, including the one that made the blog go viral. The fact that she's kept the blog up anyway shows an intriguing failure to learn a lesson. (To the OP: it might be a good idea to edit the first post in this thread so that newcomers don't get confused.)

Christine N.
04-26-2010, 03:10 PM
someone also commented that deleting it wouldn't help her now. There's this great thing called 'cache', and I'm sure by now all the mentioned parties have seen the entry (through Google Alerts), discovered her identity, and committed her name to memory.

Damage has been done.

Marian Perera
04-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, it's way too late. Plus there's the whole GCP/PA cover-up, unless she plans to delete those posts and take down her Facebook page as well.

Terie
04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
She can submit under another name, but she might not realise (yet!) that she can't sign a contract using anything but her legal name. I guess she's in the middle of learning a painful lesson about just how anonymous the internet isn't when you do something really REALLY, er, unwise. And it's not like people hadn't been cautioning her to stop ever since she started.

Cyia
04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
someone also commented that deleting it wouldn't help her now. There's this great thing called 'cache', and I'm sure by now all the mentioned parties have seen the entry (through Google Alerts), discovered her identity, and committed her name to memory.

Damage has been done.

Cached version (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:546MrGe6GRkJ:rejectionqueen.blogspo t.com/2010/04/death-to-publishing-world.html+Tales+from+a+rejection+queen,+viral&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

Looks like it caught quite a few comments, too. Including the ones outing her book as a GCP fake/PA book.

jerry phoenix
04-26-2010, 04:00 PM
all right. enough. leave the poor woman alone now.

Phaeal
04-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Yesterday I saw a new book at Borders that would make nice supplementary reading to this thread:

The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement, Jean M. Twenge, Ph.D. & W. Keith Campbell, Ph.D.

Looks tasty. I'll be getting it when the paycheck rolls in.

Julie Worth
04-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Has anyone seen this:

Not good at all.

She's a lightweight compared to Gerard Jones, and Jones got an agent eventually, and a publisher. So it's not necessarily fatal. And if you can be amusing about it, which Jones was in a curmudgeonly way, it might even be helpful. Edit: As for her writing, she doesn't have the basics down, so she's off-base in flaming the agent responses. The're actually being kind in sending her form rejections.

Julie Worth
04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
So someone told me to look at the cached version of the blogspot, before she cleaned it up, and I have to say, I loved it! That was some real honesty, and probably reflected what a good percentage of rejected writers think from time to time.

aruna
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
If you're reading this, Jenny, lurk for a while, learn what you can, sign up under a different name, ask questions, write a new book, start all over again. There is hope for everyone!

Cyia
04-26-2010, 08:23 PM
She's still in denial.
She's "never heard of" PA, and if they've got her book, they stole it!!! She's so angry!
She didn't read a single one of those posts because her friend warned her off. Everyone who posted is just a jealous hater.

(So, basically, her fingers are firmly planted in her ears.)

aruna
04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh well. We tried.