• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

thoughts in past tense or present?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)

I'm rewriting my entire ms in past tense, and as I do so I've stumbled across a problem.

I have a few places where I draw attention to a particular thought by italicizing it. I know that is pretty common. My ms is in first person, so in a way all of it is the mc's thoughts. But there are a few places where I just think it adds to the feel to make a particular thought stand out. Here is an example-

The office aide carried a single red rose to my desk. Who was it from? Please, don’t let it be from Dad!

So my question is- should italicized thoughts be in past or present tense? On the one hand, the entire ms is in past tense so I think the thoughts should be too. On the other hand, italicizing certain thoughts makes them seem special- more in the present than all the other thoughts. In that case, it would read-

The office aide carried a single red rose to my desk. Who is it from? Please, don’t let it be from Dad!

See how the feel of the thought changes? I have italicized thoughts sprinkled throughout my ms. Perhaps one thought every twenty pages or so. Would it be okay to switch to present tense in just those thoughts. Or should I stay consistent and keep everything past tense.

Thanks for all your help! I apologize if this seems like a dumb question- I'm still growing as a writer and I'm sure I'll have a lot more dumb questions before I'm done. :)

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts--
First person is kind of, sort of, one person’s thoughts for a whole story. Therefore, when I see something like that is italicized I react to it like dialog in the MC’s head. So present tense.

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Southpaw. I like how you worded that- dialogue in the mc's head. So, they are telling (or thinking) the story in past tense but then at that moment they pause and have a present tense thought?

Danthia

I use first person present tense italics for those kinds of thoughts. I even do that when my POV is third person. I like the sense of intimacy it creates.

So, this...

The office aide carried a single red rose to my desk. Who is it from? Please, don’t let it be from Dad

Though I'd probably just use "please don't let it be from Dad" because the "who is it from" is implied. That's the one thing you need to watch out for, because it's really easy to overdo it with first person narrators questioning the obvious. Sometimes it's fine and works, other times it feels clunky.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Always in present. The only time I'd use past is if I'm paraphrasing a thought.

Edit: And I rarely, if ever, paraphrase a thought.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The office aide carried a single red rose to my desk. Who was it from? Please, don’t let it be from Dad!

This is during the process of switching everything from present to past tense -yes?

May just be me, but I find the 'please...' thought jarring. Why have a specific thought at all?

Just another method...

The office aide placed a single red rose on my desk. I hesitated to pick up the accompanying card, hoping it wasn't from Dad. ...or however.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Danthia, Dr. Gonzo, and Bufty.

It is helpful to know how other people handle these situations.

Bufty- I've thought about that. When I wrote it in present tense, I had certain thoughts in italics to make them pop out more. It seemed to work then. But now, I'm not so sure.

I keep trying to pin down my reasoning in making these thoughts italicized. I think I'm overthinking it. Basically, most of the story is told in a story format- using generic words. Every once in a while, though, I throw in an italicized thought to emphasize the MC's voice. I guess when I finally get done a beta or editor will tell me if it doesn't work (if I leave the thoughts in there until then).

Thanks again for your help!

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
The MC's voice shouldn't just be thrown in occasionally in italics- you've got an entire narrative to show their voice! I'd get rid of the 'Who is it from?' as well.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Danthia, Dr. Gonzo, and Bufty.

It is helpful to know how other people handle these situations.

Bufty- I've thought about that. When I wrote it in present tense, I had certain thoughts in italics to make them pop out more. It seemed to work then. But now, I'm not so sure.

I keep trying to pin down my reasoning in making these thoughts italicized. I think I'm overthinking it. Basically, most of the story is told in a story format- using generic words. Every once in a while, though, I throw in an italicized thought to emphasize the MC's voice. I guess when I finally get done a beta or editor will tell me if it doesn't work (if I leave the thoughts in there until then).

Thanks again for your help!

No problem at all. I've even read a couple of novels where thoughts aren't in italics. The only reason I knew they were thoughts was because of the jump from past to present tense and that they fitted with the what the character was experiencing at the time. One novel comes to mind: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Danthia

This is during the process of switching everything from present to past tense -yes?

May just be me, but I find the 'please...' thought jarring. Why have a specific thought at all?

Just another method...

The office aide placed a single red rose on my desk. I hesitated to pick up the accompanying card, hoping it wasn't from Dad. ...or however.

Good luck.

For what it's worth, I like the "please" type thoughts because it feels more shown to me. "hoping it wasn't from Dad" feels more told to me. The narrator is telling you she's hoping, not showing you by what she thinks.

To the OP... Both work, and I do use them both, but one feels more immediate to me and the other more descriptive. It really depends on what you want to accomplish. If it fits your style and you like it, use it. If not, don't. Nothing says you need to do it any one way.

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
The MC's voice shouldn't just be thrown in occasionally in italics- you've got an entire narrative to show their voice! I'd get rid of the 'Who is it from?' as well.

Hi Lady Ice. I must have worded my post wrong earlier. I didn't mean for it to come across that I only worry about voice every once in awhile. I just think some thoughts are important and should stand out. I think they emphasize the voice.

Here is an example I found in a best-selling book:
Just a dream, I told myself. It was only a dream. I took a deep breath and then jumped again...

That is from New Moon. Granted, I scanned the rest of the book and didn't see many other places where she italicized thoughts. And when she did, she usually added the tags- I thought or I told myself.

I'm still trying to figure out which way works for me. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. :)

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I like the "please" type thoughts because it feels more shown to me. "hoping it wasn't from Dad" feels more told to me. The narrator is telling you she's hoping, not showing you by what she thinks.

To the OP... Both work, and I do use them both, but one feels more immediate to me and the other more descriptive. It really depends on what you want to accomplish. If it fits your style and you like it, use it. If not, don't. Nothing says you need to do it any one way.

Thanks Danthia. :) "Feels more immediate"- yes I agree. I appreciate your help.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely present. Otherwise it would be like me speaking in past tense to myself.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The tale is all in past tense.

The answer to a question like this is solely the writer's call but posing the question in the first place suggests doubt as to its present effectiveness.

Others may like it, but it strikes me as gimmicky - and perhaps over-explaining - to suddenly shoot in a present tense thought.

Showing versus telling isn't a concern here so long as the information is conveyed without disturbing flow or the reader's involvement in the unfolding tale.

If the nature of the relationship with the father and any necessary information/connection re the delivery of the rose is already known to the reader, one could give the reader credit for using his own imagination as to the character's reaction in the situation, and for being able to put two and two together.

Good luck, whichever course you follow.

Last edited:

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
The tale is all in past tense.

The answer to a question like this is solely the writer's call but posing the question in the first place suggests doubt as to its present effectiveness.

I was having doubts. I knew I wasn't handling this consistently throughout my ms. So I thought I'd ask this questions so I could clarify in my head and come up with a common approach that I could use throughout my writing.

Others may like it, but it strikes me as gimmicky - and perhaps over-explaining - to suddenly shoot in a present tense thought.

That was what I was worried about.

If the nature of the relationship with the father and any necessary information/connection re the delivery of the rose is already known to the reader, one could give the reader credit for using his own imagination as to the character's reaction in the situation, and for being able to put two and two together.

I know this specifically relates to that one quote, and not to the question at hand, but I'm confused about what you mean. Could you explain a little better. Why do you think the reader should know she thinks that without the thought being put in there? Perhaps it would help if you knew that she hadn't had any contact with her father and wasn't even thinking about him before the rose was brought in. But it was her birthday and the rose triggered her worry that her father would try to contact her. Does that make the thoughts seem more natural?

Good luck, whichever course you follow.

Thank you, I appreciate your help. :)

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lady Ice. I must have worded my post wrong earlier. I didn't mean for it to come across that I only worry about voice every once in awhile. I just think some thoughts are important and should stand out. I think they emphasize the voice.

Here is an example I found in a best-selling book:
Just a dream, I told myself. It was only a dream. I took a deep breath and then jumped again...

That is from New Moon. Granted, I scanned the rest of the book and didn't see many other places where she italicized thoughts. And when she did, she usually added the tags- I thought or I told myself.

I'm still trying to figure out which way works for me. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. :)

That doesn't show us Bella's voice, really. If it was something like Dang it, you crazy girl. It's just a dream, that would show voice (yeah, it's an exaggerated voice there but still...). Any person on the planet could say 'It was only a dream'.

It's not that necessary to do a thought in your example:

The office aide carried a single red rose to my desk. I prayed for it not to be from Dad.

Because your character is telling the story, their voice is already there. You can show it in how the narrator chooses to tell us things.

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
That doesn't show us Bella's voice, really. If it was something like Dang it, you crazy girl. It's just a dream, that would show voice (yeah, it's an exaggerated voice there but still...). Any person on the planet could say 'It was only a dream'.

It's not that necessary to do a thought in your example:

The office aide carried a single red rose to my desk. I prayed for it not to be from Dad.

Because your character is telling the story, their voice is already there. You can show it in how the narrator chooses to tell us things.

You're right, anyone could say those words Stephenie Meyer italicized. Thanks for pointing that out. :) Perhaps I had looked at it wrong when I focused on italics emphasizing voice. Perhaps, instead, italics seem to make the moment more real.

You, and everyone, has helped me clarify my thinking on this. I originally asked if the thoughts should be in present or past, not considering that having italicized thoughts at all would seem strange to some. Now I'm focusing on each of my italicized thoughts and deciding whether they benefit from the italics or not.

Thanks for all the help!

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Present tense IMO. But be sure to make it very clear that you're switching from narrative to internal dialogue (i.e. thoughts :)).

The italics is part of that for sure, but I suggest putting the thought in its own paragraph (like real dialogue). The way it read, I didn't realise at first that we were switching and I found it a bit jarring.

Bufty's solution is good too - you could mix and match the direct thoughts and her 'indirect speech' suggestion. Sharing thoughts is good, but can get a bit wearying after a while if there's too much of it.

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely present. Otherwise it would be like me speaking in past tense to myself.

I forgot to tell you thanks earlier. I do appreciate your feedback. :)

Thought dialogue is like the person talking to themself, so present

Thanks veinglory. I'm beginning to understand this better now. :)

Present tense IMO. But be sure to make it very clear that you're switching from narrative to internal dialogue (i.e. thoughts :)).

The italics is part of that for sure, but I suggest putting the thought in its own paragraph (like real dialogue). The way it read, I didn't realise at first that we were switching and I found it a bit jarring.

Bufty's solution is good too - you could mix and match the direct thoughts and her 'indirect speech' suggestion. Sharing thoughts is good, but can get a bit wearying after a while if there's too much of it.

Thank you Tracy. And thanks for using the term 'internal dialogue'. I am very new to creative writing. I'm still learning terminology that so many other people already know. I know what I mean, but that doesn't help if no one else does. ;-)

Thanks again for all the help, everyone. I love how very supportive the people on this site are. Even when people disagree, they do so for the purpose of helping each other grow as writers. Now I'm sounding all gushy so I should use that energy to work on one of the emotional scenes in my ms. :)

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Story-maker. Only answering because you asked.

All I meant was that if, from what the reader already knew, the reaction triggered by the sight of the rose was predictable then it doesn't need to be explained because the reaction is expected and understood.

Incidentally, in passing -if she wasn't even thinking about the father there should be a link between the stimulus of the rose being placed upon the desk, and the reaction of her thought. Something about the rose being placed on the desk has to trigger the thought about the father and that triggering link is missing at present for me in the out-of-context excerpt. That's one of the main reasons the expressed thought jars a tad for me.

[Bufty]I know this specifically relates to that one quote, and not to the question at hand, but I'm confused about what you mean. Could you explain a little better. Why do you think the reader should know she thinks that without the thought being put in there? Perhaps it would help if you knew that she hadn't had any contact with her father and wasn't even thinking about him before the rose was brought in. But it was her birthday and the rose triggered her worry that her father would try to contact her. Does that make the thoughts seem more natural?

Thank you, I appreciate your help. :)

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds a bit sinister- would she immediately associate a single red rose, a romantic symbol, with her father? 'A single red rose' suggests romance.

Story-maker

done rewriting!
Registered
Reaction score
Please remember I'm new and don't always word things in the best way- which is why I haven't ventured into query hell yet. But I'll try to explain the plot a bit to point out (in my mind at least) why this wouldn't be such an odd thought for her to have.

The MC's father left her and her mother on an abusive night to go live with his mistress. He called the MC a tramp on that night. She thinks about that constantly as she is starting to form relationships. Two chapters before the rose, her father tracked her down at a basketball game. Their reunion didn't go well. Then in the next chapter he sued for custody. Now to the rose- it was her birthday. She'd already received a present from her boyfriend. So when the rose showed up it was unexpected and so she thought about her dad. It ends up being from a boy who will complicate her life in the future.

Thoughts about her father are always in the background for this character. Romance is in the foreground, but the ms doesn't end until the father and daughter reconcile.

I hope that made sense. I really do appreciate your help. I will definitely keep your comments in mind.

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. And for symbolism fanatics/novices, the rose would be a perfect symbol to persue with if you so wish. So basically are you saying with the rose that the MC associates it with the sort of affairs that her father had, and instead of having a positive connotation as it would for most people, for the MC it's negative because her perception of romance has been skewed by her father?

Status
Not open for further replies.