PDA

View Full Version : Blue Leaf Publications

Broadswordbabe
04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Does anyone have any information and/or opinions on this small press? (Sorry if they're already discussed here, couldn't find a thread). Can't find anything in Preditors and Editors, I think they may be very new.

http://www.blueleafpub.com/home.htm

Richard Falk
04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
It's a straightforward POD, without marketing or distribution support. Their business model is not dissimilar to PublishAmerica's, although they are much more honest about what they do and their contract term is shorter (two years). Really, I don't see many advantages compared to self-publishing through Lulu.

DreamWeaver
04-22-2010, 06:27 PM
The blurbs in their catalog section have several instances of improperly used commas, plus some spectacularly long sentences. Not a crime, but not a good sign for expecting them to have top-notch editors. Proceed carefully.

Broadswordbabe
04-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Thank you!

brainstorm77
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
From the looks of the website and the comments here, you could do better on your own through LuLu or Createspace. They only have their books listed on their website or Amazon. So who knows they're even there?

Note:They may charge a kill fee if you want out.

eward
01-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm confused - have they changed their model since this thread was posted? Now, they're being described as "a royalty-paying small press" and they take queries. Am I missing something?

ETA: I think I'm understanding what people are saying - it's not really worth it since it's so small?

CaoPaux
01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
It's all well and good to offer royalties, but one needs to make sales in order to receive them. If an e/POD house has no marketing, promotion, and/or distribution, it won't generate sales for measurable royalties. (And 30% of net for ebooks and 10% of net for print isn't a good rate, regardless.)

CaoPaux
12-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Updating link: http://www.blueleafpub.com/

triceretops
11-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Full request after having read the first four chapters. And that was after six days. So, pretty quick in reading/responding. They're publishing slots are low and they seem to favor a few selected genres, specifying their like for shape-shifters. Small advance. I would like to see royalties on cover, though.

tri

Broadswordbabe
11-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi Triceratops
I'd suggest caution, I've PM'd you.

shaldna
11-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I have to say, I'm impressed with the general quality of the covers - they look good.

Also, the fact that they have very specific genre interests is also a good thing. They only want vampires, zombies and shapeshifters. Many small presses suffer because they try to do too much in too many genres.

One to watch, for sure.

CaoPaux
11-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Royalty rates are now:
45% to 60% of the Net, print and electronic sales
Rate will depend on quality/condition of work

triceretops
11-08-2013, 03:48 AM
I forgot to add this it was a rejection on the full.

tri

CaoPaux
03-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Last book pubbed '13. Per her personal site (http://www.dehanna.com/), owner is on sabbatical for health issues.