More Tarot help

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who's visiting a Tarot reader to help her answer the question of whether she has any chances of reconciliation with her partner, who has just left. The woman lies a two-path spread and comes up with these cards:

Five of Pentacles
Tower (reversed)
Page of Cups (reversed)
The Hierophant
Three of Wands

I think I know the answer to the question by reading the individual meaning of the cards, but I was wondering if somebody can give me an overall impression of the reading and tell me whether the character should come out confused or with a pretty definite answer from the reading.

ETA: I'm aware that this changes based on the situation, the "feel" of the reader, etc. I'm looking for something general that gives me an approximate reading, so if somebody who knows Tarot reads the passage, she won't think "That's not what it means at all!"

Last edited:

wysewomon

Iconoclast
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know what deck you're using?

I'll get back to you on this when I'm more awake and have taken a look at my cards. For some reason, I'm having a hard time visualizing your spread off the top of my head.

WW

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
You had better post which spread you're using--there are several similar spreads with similar names. If it's what I think it is, I'd say the real question would be whether the reader would tell the subject what the spread means.

She's in a relationship with an immature and changeable man. They'll fight a lot, and end up in money trouble. Or, she can meet a smart and thoughtful guy and become rich.

That's awfully specific for tarot spreads, which tend to have a lot of random and unfathomable cards in there. If you believe the cards really are random and not magical, then the whole point is that they get you thinking in new directions. This spread seems to me very much to be a genuine magical object. Should magic be trusted? Or is it just random after all? Could the reader have stacked the deck somehow? What motive would the reader have for that?

A reader might not want to tell someone exactly what this means. After all, it's all but telling her that her current relationship is a disaster, and if the cards are just random, then the reader might pause before sharing.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!
Spread looks exactly like a letter Y (2 cards on each side --the bottom one curving inwards-- and one at the bottom touching both side cards). I've seen it called The Two Path Spread.

Using the Rider Waite Tarot.

I threw the cards (virtual cards, on a website) thinking of the character as a real person. The character is actually based on a couple I know, which fits the description of the cards to a T: She just broke up with a man she adored and with whom she had a lot of fights because he was immature and changeable (I love you, I don't know if I love you, I want to be with you, I want to be alone, I don't want I want... that kind of thing). So I'm really impressed that ChristineR actually nailed the situation perfectly (and I'm really impressed than an online deck of cards can be that good and specific).

In this specific situation, the reader WOULD tell the character everything she can see, no matter how hurtful, so it's ok to tell me how awful this reads. Is there anything else in there you can see?

ETA: I don't believe in randomness, so yeah, I'd say that I rather believe the cards are magic.

Last edited:

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
bump

Sorry. I'm itching to write the scene and would love more feedback on this. ChristineR? wysewomon?

Thanks!