what does your business card say?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm slipping my toes into the freelance waters. I was previously with broadcast tv news and then corporate video. Many, many years ago I wrote a couple of articles for a regional mag but haven't done any other freelance since. And I got out of writing for about 12 years and am just getting back in.

I've moved to 2 other states since I last worked in media, so I've lost my network and am trying to develop it again.

I want to write content for websites, print for regional mags/weekly newspapers, and videos. I'm going to pursue it seriously (while still keeping my day job and writing fictions too). Last fall I wrote a video script for a local group and have just been hired to write a second.

I plan to market myself more, so I need business cards to hand out to prospective clients. My husband is self employed and active in two chambers of commerce so he could also hand out cards for me.

I'm thinking about one with a simple, elegant pen design that would say:

My Name
writer
online, print, video
email address

I don't like giving out my phone number to just anyone ... I would write it on the card if I really wanted someone to have it.

What do you think? Do you have business cards, and if so, what do they say? Thanks for your help.

Deleted member 42

Web Site; you need to have a place to host clips, etc.

Don't go hire a Web site person. Think about reserving a domain, either your legal name or a business name (or both), but you can start simply with a free WordPress/Blogger or Google page.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I have a wordpress account ... but haven't used it for business yet. Just for personal blog. I'm set up for a business blog too, with a different name.

Should I go ahead and put the business one on the card, even though I haven't actually got anything to put on the blog yet?

I could put on my old credits, from years ago - videos I shot/edited, small writing projects, but it doesn't look that impressive since nothing's recent.

FreeWhistler

Cookie monster
Registered
Reaction score
The information side of my business card is plain and has the following information:

-Name
-Job title
-Business email address
-Cell phone / Land line / If I had a fax # I'd include that as well
-Website (in my case a blog)

Basically, I try to make it really easy for any prospective clients or sources to find out who I am, what I do and how to get in touch with me. Some people have their mailing address on their business card as well. I don't, but if I did, for privacy and to keep home and work separate I'd open a PO box and put that on my card. Personally, I also appreciate creativity in a card. I think it says something about the person or business behind it, especially if they designed it themself. So I have a shiny modern graphic on the reverse side of my card. I don't really have a formal logo, but I guess the image on the back is as close to a logo as ever I'll have.

DanielleMcGaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mcgaw-freelancers.com
Mine has:

My name
Title
Phone
Website
Tagline

and a small graphic in the left-hand corner.

I'd say get something up on that business site asap and put the site on your card. Absolutely use the material you have. You don't have to say when you did it if you don't want to but you did it so why shouldn't you use it? No one will care how long ago it was. If you could do it then you can do it now, right?

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Mine has:

Name
Title
Phone
Email
Websites (portfolio and The Freshman Writer)

incognitopress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elisaromero.com
For title, mine say "Writer, Editor" because I do editing on the side.
I also teach ESL, but I have a different set of cards for that.

I have MyName, Title, cell-phone#, email address, blog address, website

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Mine says freelance writer, but I'm getting ready to order new ones and I was thinking of adding something else. I agree that you need a website. I would say buy your name as a domain, and then direct it to the wordpress site. That way later on you can build your own site but don't have to worry about changing the info on the cards.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have one, but if I did it would say Leave.
Me.
Alone.

(maybe I'll get one...)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You are all saying you have your phone # on the card, so I guess I should too. I had a problem with my husband giving my cell phone # to a new acquaintance who then hounded me to buy stuff from her, so I'm hesitant on giving it out. Would writing it on cards as I give them out be too weird?

NKOK, I bought my real name, pseudonym, and business name a few months ago. I'd bought my daughter's name for her (she's an artist) and then thought I should have mine too. The pseudonym is for fiction. I'll direct the business name to the WP blog. Easier to use the blog template than try my very limited HTML skills at putting up a decent web page. (and I hope you're feeling better. I visited your queries blog and it says you're very ill.)

incognitopress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elisaromero.com
Would writing it on cards as I give them out be too weird?
No, not necessarily. You could have been in-between numbers....it's fine if you're giving it out to one person at a time, but it's a hassle if you're at a conference or a cocktail mix, having to fish around for a pen every time you give a card out....

no matter what, a cell number is still better privacy-wise than putting your real home number down. If somebody bothers you, you can also "block" them.
But having business cards, even without a phone # is still better than no business cards at all.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have my phone number in my card. Never really needed it, and in the few cases I did, I just wrote it down with a pen.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
For simplity, mine has (nicely printed in raised lettering, with a box around it all):

Name
Research - Writing
Editing - Consulting
email address
business website
phone number (which is a voice mail box only)​

I've used that for years, figuring it would cover most contingencies. Practically the only business I get is from personal contact anyway. When appropriate, I write my home number on the card.

I've changed my business name and business emphases over the years, but the listed items still cover the essentials. My self-intro line is, "I do research, writing, editing, and consulting. Consulting on what, you ask? Research ... writing ... editing."

--Ken

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Mine says:

Name
Tagline
Web site
Mailing address (I use a PO box)
Phone #
Fax #

And I also have an eye-catching stock photo on there that I use as my logo. I've chosen not to put "writer" or "freelance writer" on there at all because of the misconceptions I've encountered when using those titles. My tagline and logo photo are slightly vague and unusual enough that when I hand out my card, people frequently ask me to tell them more about what I do.

If it makes you uncomfortable putting your phone number on the card, then don't do it. And no, I don't think it would be weird to write it on there with a pen if you explain to the person you're giving the card to that you don't give your phone number to everyone. Another idea for you--I bought a Magic Jack and use that as my business line. It's cheap, works well, and keeps my business contacts from having too much of my personal contact info.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I have never printed a phone number on my card and it hasn't been a problem. It I need to I'll add it in writing. I think it's fine to keep your phone number to yourself and give it out only as you see fit.