PDA

View Full Version : Breaking and Entering

Calliopenjo
04-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Hi there,

The character is sixteen years old, and was arrested for breaking and entering. No intent to burglarize, murder, or mame. First offense. The state is Massachusetts.

I read on the internet that first offense breaking and entering without intent is a minimum of six months.

I need to know if this is true. If not, what would be the minimum sentence?

Any help would be appreciated.

jclarkdawe
04-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Sixteen is a juvenile in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. He'd be in juvie court. Adult minimum sentences do not apply.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

suki
04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
And even if he were an adult, with no priors, no one hurt, etc., it would likely plea bargain down to a lesser charge.

~suki

Calliopenjo
04-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks guys. :Hug2:

jclarkdawe
04-22-2010, 05:58 PM
And note that legally, Massachusetts is a Commonwealth (as are Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Virginia). If you want to blow your credibility quickly, refer to the courts there as the Superior Court of the State of Massachusetts.

And further note, juvie cases are heard in the district or municipal courts, not superior court, even for what would be felonies. Juvenile courts have their own terms. For example, a juvenile does not plead "guilty" or "not guilty," he or she pleads "true" or "not true."

If you are writing at all about what goes on in juvie court, contract the clerk's office and see if you can sit in on one. It can be very different from adult court. Under certain conditions, people are allowed to be spectators in juvie hearing. Explaining that you are a writer, and want to get it right, and understand that anything specifically involving the juveniles will never, ever be mentioned. Period. My wife doesn't even know who my juvenile clients are or were, never mind what they were charged with.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Calliopenjo
04-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks Jim, :Hug2: