Are trade magazines still a freelancer's 'best kept secret'?

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
I stop by this section every now and then, and I've noticed it's a lot slower than some of the other categories.

Is that an indication that writing for trades isn't as lucrative as it was once considered or just a sign that most writers still don't jump at the chance to have something appear in 'Portable Restroom Operator" or something similar?

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing. When searching amongst the links listed for trade magazines, I find that more and more of them are missing. Perhaps the trade market is another casualty of hard economic times?

Personally, I think a paycheck is a paycheck whether it comes from "Portable Restroom Operator" or something more glamorous. ;)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I used to do a fair bit of this for different places, but I know those markets completely dried up for me. Either the publication folded completely or they switched to in-house writing.

In a lot of cases, trade zines are simply closing up shop, sometimes with little warning even to their full-time employees. In the case of one nursing/health care trade publication I know of, several of the employees simply got pink slips (out of the blue) at the same time they shifted to entirely in-house articles.

Last edited:

Featurewriter

hoarse whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bymichaelriley.com
Sad, but these days all to often true. Two major factors: 1) Ad revenues are off so much that associations have little choice. And 2) The Internet--which is a good thing in the long-run, but we're roughing it out during the demise of print media in the trade markets.

Think typewriters vs. computers; eight track tapes vs. MP3 downloads.

But then again, content is still needed. So, the more flexible you are, the better positioned you'll be for what remains, and what's on the way ...........

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
I kind of figured the Internet was behind it all. Stupid Internet :tongue Oh, wait! The 'net lets me talk to all of you; guess it's not that bad after all.

Still, it's sad to see mags just disappear because of technology. Fortunately, the online world opens up new avenues for writing, too.

Thanks for the input :)

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write for a video game magazine site (similar but not the same) and it's all for experience and credit.

People are willing to do the work for free and for promo materials, so they don't have to pay you.

If you want to write for Traveling With Pets, they'll find people who are willing to do it for little to no money so if you look at the sub guidelines they might not be worth your time and you won't submit...

ALSO, if I think about where I get my info on stats and analysis and surveys, most of it comes from individual experts with blogs, Q&A boards, and sites like wisegeek, the sites maintained by product makers (SPSS tips, Office tips) and some Company sites that get you interested by offering useful info to prove their ability (an expert blog).

Trade publications pile up at my house until the subscription runs out and I rarely even flip through them.

Another good source is the Sexy version of trade publications. So while i could care less about the American Evaluation Association's publication, except for getting myself in there on day and waving it around, I'm actively reading and interested in Good Magazine (http://www.good.is/) because it's not only relevant, but also fresh and interesting...

So, I say, look for work where you'd look for information, because those are the sources that aren't drying up. (probably)

(my 29 cents)

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I am of the impression that the editors of these august publications that survive want your content for even less recompense than before ie. budgets are 'very tight' or simply pay you nothing at all.

Yes, content is king, but (much) print is dead.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There are still a bazillion paying trade magazines out there, and not enough writers to go around. The problem isn't so much with the magazines, as it is so many writers thinking the Internet is the way to go.

This is actually good news for those with the knowledge and ability to write for print trades.

Featurewriter

hoarse whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bymichaelriley.com
Yup. "Knowledge and ability" being key.

My comment above about the Internet is simply a nod to the evolving medium and its impact on methods of publishing. The quality of the product, in any form, remains a driving factor.

Deleted member 42

There are still a bazillion paying trade magazines out there, and not enough writers to go around. The problem isn't so much with the magazines, as it is so many writers thinking the Internet is the way to go.

This is actually good news for those with the knowledge and ability to write for print trades.

James this is contrary to what I'm seeing in my own fields--higher ed and technical trades--as well as to what I'm reading in Media Bistro and elsewhere.

Would you care to list names? Where have you sold lately?

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
James this is contrary to what I'm seeing in my own fields--higher ed and technical trades--as well as to what I'm reading in Media Bistro and elsewhere.

Would you care to list names? Where have you sold lately?

I will add that in relation to Med's observation, it is my impression that this occurrence had begun before the GFC, & merely hastened at the time it began.

denenewrites

Registered
Reaction score
I built my business writing for trades when I started back in 2005/2006. I did notice a huge difference when I did a big LOI campaign trying to gain new trade clients in 2009 though. While I did pick up a few new clients, the number of "we're not hiring new writers" responses was very discouraging at that time.

These days I write for several pubs that bring me work so I'm not pitching nearly as much. The nice part about trades is that if you can get in and they like your work, they'll pitch *you*! I have considered doing a marketing test just to see how many new trade clients I can pick up. I'll report back if I decide to do that. May be an interesting case study!