PDA

View Full Version : Synopsis length and questions

mjj
04-21-2010, 06:17 AM
I've had a request for a partial along with a "3-5 page synopsis". Does this mean single spaced pages? I have a 1 page single spaced synopsis already but I'll have to go to a new level of detail and probably start all over to get 3-5 pages single spaced.

For such a long synopsis, should I still focus on the main plot and not cover any sub plots?

Also this is the first novel in a trilogy I am working on the second book of the series now. I don't usually mention this in my query and keep the shorter synopsis sticking to the first book's plot, because the first book stands alone too... but there are elements being built towards the arch-plot, should I reveal some of these in this longer synopsis or would that just confuse things?

cate townsend
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
3-5 pages, double-spaced. I'm not sure about the series thing; if you don't mention it in your query, it's probably best to not mention in your synopsis, since you're only querying the first book and not the entire series at once. Others who have written/writing series will chime in with better advice. Good luck, and welcome to AW!

Danthia
04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
I've had a request for a partial along with a "3-5 page synopsis". Does this mean single spaced pages? I have a 1 page single spaced synopsis already but I'll have to go to a new level of detail and probably start all over to get 3-5 pages single spaced.
Double space for that length. Usually anything over three pages switches to double for easier reading.

For such a long synopsis, should I still focus on the main plot and not cover any sub plots?
You can add in the subplots at that length if you'd like. Maybe pick one or two of the most important ones.

Also this is the first novel in a trilogy I am working on the second book of the series now. I don't usually mention this in my query and keep the shorter synopsis sticking to the first book's plot, because the first book stands alone too... but there are elements being built towards the arch-plot, should I reveal some of these in this longer synopsis or would that just confuse things?
I probably wouldn't add any plot points that were series arcing, as they wouldn't be resolved by the end of the synopsis and might look like you forgot about them. Show the stand alone plot. The goal of a synopsis is to A) show you can plot, and B) show that you have a coherent story that gets from point a to point b the way a novel should. (varies per genre)

mjj
04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Jamesaritchie
04-22-2010, 07:44 PM
It means space it however you like. The only reason anything is ever double spaced is because there's a possibility it's going to be edited. Synopses are never edited.