What should I think about this? What would you do?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I have to make a decision quickly, by the end of the day, I'd really like some input on this.

I finally got an assignment to write about my son's band for a local glossy magazine. Keep in mind they were only going to pay me $75 for the 850-word story.

One of the conditions is they wanted to take photos of the 5 guys. They were only giving me 2 weeks as a time frame to turn in the article and get the photos shot. They said if they guys didn't have a gig in the next 2 weeks, they wanted me to arrange for them to all get together in one spot and their photographer would take pics.

The problem? These 5 guys have lives/jobs/different schedules. They only get together for rehearsals and gigs as they can. They can't seem to coordinate a time when they can all get together that coincides with the magazine. I suggested one show that is coming up this Saturday. The magazine: our photographer will be out of town that day. Can't do it.

The magazine editor sent me an email that blew my mind. It's worth the guys missing time out of work/being late to do this photo shoot. Huh? Their time is not as valuable as the magazine's/photographers.

I suggested using publicity pics of the band that they can supply. No, they don't want that; they want to shoot the photos.

So they're telling me I have til the end of the day to make it happen or forget about doing the article.

What do you people think about this?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I have to make a decision quickly, by the end of the day, I'd really like some input on this.

I finally got an assignment to write about my son's band for a local glossy magazine. Keep in mind they were only going to pay me $75 for the 850-word story.

One of the conditions is they wanted to take photos of the 5 guys. They were only giving me 2 weeks as a time frame to turn in the article and get the photos shot. They said if they guys didn't have a gig in the next 2 weeks, they wanted me to arrange for them to all get together in one spot and their photographer would take pics.

The problem? These 5 guys have lives/jobs/different schedules. They only get together for rehearsals and gigs as they can. They can't seem to coordinate a time when they can all get together that coincides with the magazine. I suggested one show that is coming up this Saturday. The magazine: our photographer will be out of town that day. Can't do it.

The magazine editor sent me an email that blew my mind. It's worth the guys missing time out of work/being late to do this photo shoot. Honestly, yeah, if they want the publicity, they have to make it work - that's the condition. Huh? Their time is not as valuable as the magazine's/photographers.

I suggested using publicity pics of the band that they can supply. No, they don't want that; they want to shoot the photos.

So they're telling me I have til the end of the day to make it happen or forget about doing the article.

What do you people think about this?

Honestly? They set a condition, from the beginning, and as I see it, you meet the condition or not, but they've been clear. And I don't know any non-famous band that would forgo good publicity with photos because they are busy.

So...seems to me there's really only one call - the guys make themselves available, or no article.

And while you may not like the conditions, you did know the condition from the get go, so I don't really see where there's any surprise.

Good luck.

~suki

FreeWhistler

Cookie monster
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with Suki. A lot of my work as a writer and photographer is with artists, and if they're serious, they always make time for me. As a musician myself, if I had a side job or a date with a hot girl I'd totally blow it off for the publicity opportunity. It's about where a person's priorities lie.

And frankly, it sounds rude, but a publisher's time is more valuable than any one else's. There's a lot that goes into producing a high end glossy magazine and there are a lot of deadlines that have to be met. They can bend up to a point but beyond that they have to cut their losses and make sure they put out a quality product on schedule.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you take some pictures? Or have a photographer friend do it for a few bucks? Is it specified that it has to be the magazine's photographer? I'm willing to bet that they will take a pic you provide rather than forgo the article.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you take some pictures? Or have a photographer friend do it for a few bucks? Is it specified that it has to be the magazine's photographer? I'm willing to bet that they will take a pic you provide rather than forgo the article.

Yes, it has to be their photographer. That's the problem.

This band has done publicity photos for past articles/their web site/their CD. Some very nice pictures; I've seen them.

My thought on all of this: I am a writer. If an editor gives me a deadline, I can meet it. But I do not have any control over other people's lives. The magazine says they are flexible. But what is flexible about telling people when the photographer is available and when you are supposed to show up? That is not being flexible. If people have lives and need to make a living(they don't make a living performing as a band), then you can't expect them to be able to drop everything and show up when it's convenient for YOU.

I once wrote an article for Woman's World. They wanted photos of me and my family to go with the article. This was a national magazine. I had them come to my house when it was convenient for my family. They had no problem with that.

My feeling now is that for a mere $75, it's not worth it. If one magazine has expressed interest, others might, too. If I can find a magazine that pays better that would be great.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Honestly? They set a condition, from the beginning, and as I see it, you meet the condition or not, but they've been clear. And I don't know any non-famous band that would forgo good publicity with photos because they are busy.

So...seems to me there's really only one call - the guys make themselves available, or no article.

And while you may not like the conditions, you did know the condition from the get go, so I don't really see where there's any surprise.

Good luck.

~suki

#1 - I don't think I'd do things with 'conditions'. Wouldn't make me comfortable.

BUT - This works in your favour...so I see conditions being acceptable here. You're helping your son.

#2 - I totally agree with Suki. It's publicity. They make the time. They make it happen.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Kathy, I hope it works out for you, but since you weren't overly pleased about the payment, maybe you should just forget about it and not stress. Stress isn't a good thing, I know too well.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Well if you only have until the end of today and the band members don't want to put in the effort to have their picture taken by the magazine photographer, I guess it won't happen. But that's the band's fault IMO, not yours or the magazine's.

If you were contacted by a glossy magazine to get your picture taken for an article about your new book, wouldn't you be interested in getting the promo?

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly? If I were you, I'd let the project drop. I'm guessing (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that since they're paying you $75 for an 850-word article, and since you've been published in big-name places like Woman's World, that the real benefit of this project would be the publicity for your son's band. The logistics issues here aren't your fault, and while it might be annoying, I think the magazine was well within their rights to request to have the photos taken by their photographer. If the guys can't organize themselves to be in one place for a few minutes for the photo shoot, sorry, but you simply don't have a story.

Good luck, and I hope it all works out one way or another.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Good advice by others. And yes, I'm a day late (and a dollar short).

I'm rather surprised the band isn't interested in free publicity enough to make time for the photographer. Also good idea to shop the article elsewhere.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who responded.

I am planning to pitch the article idea to a different magazine. Where there is interest in one place, there should be interest in another.