Donkeys or oxen?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm depicting a trade caravan traveling a good distance on some rugged roads with carts loaded with coals. The kind of carts the driver sits in rather than walk beside the animal (don't know the name for those).
I've never worked with animals. Should I use a pair of donkeys or oxen for a task like this? How durable is either animal, and what kind of care would they need during the trip?

I don't need intricate technical details; The trip only lasts for a few chapters and focuses on the characters rather than the animals. But I do want to get the broad strokes right.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Where? That is what country? Area of said country? I ask because that could have a bearing on the animal used - is there water/grazing for the animals? Donkeys are smaller and would (I think) eat and drink less. Size of animal - oxen could possible pull greater loads? Donkeys are smaller - and wouldn't donkeys have panniers? That is baskets attached rather than using them as haulage animals?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My impression (and I could be totally wrong) is that oxen are slower but have more endurance. Also, because oxen give milk and can be butchered for meat more readily than can donkeys (usually only in emergencies) poorer families would be more likely to have oxen. Based on the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, I think oxen were more common in the settling of the American West than were donkeys.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Contact the Howell Living History Farm here in the US (www.howellfarm.org). Not only do they use both oxen and draught horses as they did for farming at the turn of the 20th Century, they teach people how to use them for farming. So they can probably answer your questions regarding care, use, handling, and equipment used with them.

Donkeys, on the other hand - can't help you there.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Where? That is what country? Area of said country? I ask because that could have a bearing on the animal used - is there water/grazing for the animals?

It's a fantasy world. A northern Europe-esque climate. And yes, there is water and grazing for the animals for most of the way, but they have to pass through a fairly dry area for a few days.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If they will be pulling wagons for long distances then oxen would be the best choice.

Chris is right about them being good for meat, if you want to stew it, but don't expect castrated male cattle to give any milk.

eurodan49

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on location and historical time. When? 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th century? Northern Europe? The Scandinavians didn’t use donkeys. The Poles used both. The Baltic States used more oxen, same the Prussians and Germans. Donkeys were used more in southern Europe: Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Hungry, and what’s known as the former Yugoslavia. Horses were few and used primarily by nobility. A team of 2-4 donkeys would not be able to pull a coal laden cart; they would use oxen for that. Donkeys were used in the hills and mountains (carrying small loads in panniers).

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Oxen would be better for long hauling of large loads. Donkeys are actually rather small creatures, comparatively. (though, if you're talking a larger team of animals, ie: 6 or 8, you have more leeway)

If you're determined to use a donkey-esque animal, you might consider a mule instead (a horse/donkey crossbreed). They tend to be larger and stronger.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on location and historical time. When? 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th century? Northern Europe?

I said northern Europe-esque. And I'm thinking roughly 13th century equivalent.

A team of 2-4 donkeys would not be able to pull a coal laden cart; they would use oxen for that. Donkeys were used in the hills and mountains (carrying small loads in panniers).
Oxen would be better for long hauling of large loads. Donkeys are actually rather small creatures, comparatively. (though, if you're talking a larger team of animals, ie: 6 or 8, you have more leeway)

Well, that's what I needed to know. I'll get starting on making the changes. Would two oxen be enough for one coal-laden cart?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Donkeys are much better over rough terrain. How well maintained are your roads?

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I would ask about the climate and terrain.

Donkeys are well equipped for arid climate and rocky, uneven, while oxen are better suited for temperate zones and flat terrain.

Perhaps instead of donkeys, you mean mules, which were the pulling animal of choice in most cases, being faster than oxen, stronger than donkeys, and cheaper than horses.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But if the roads are really rotten, carts are going to be cumbersome regardless of what's pulling them. You'd be better off with a pack train of donkeys, or, better yet, mules.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
As stated, donkeys are rather small animals, and usually when used with a cart are used singularly. A pair is occasionally used, but not as commonly. The carts are rather small, and the maximum weight is not high. The driver walks beside, as the driver adds weight that reduces the payload ability. I'm not aware of donkeys being used for long, multi-day hauls.

Mules can be much larger than donkeys and would be the preferred choice for larger loads and longer distances. Mules work better in teams than donkeys. The largest mules can weigh in excess of 1200 pounds and rival draft horses in pulling power. Mules used to be bred in a wide variety of sizes to meet the market needs. Mules tend to walk faster than donkeys.

Horses are larger than mules, and ultimately, have more power. However, mules tend to have more endurance than horses and can go on longer. Mules also need less food than horses. Mules at high levels of use needed a bit of grain, with horses needing a fair amount of grain.

Oxen are comparable in pulling power to mules and horses, but are slower. They tend to be single gaited, and you pretty much go whatever speed the oxen want to travel. However, they keep on going. Their hooves also tend to grip better than horses. Oxen can survive on graze, spending the evening grazing and the daytime chewing their cud.

Oxen are more rugged than mules, which are more rugged than horses. Oxen are also easier to maintain. Oxen were the preferred choice in the American West for transportation, but I don't know the numbers. Mules were preferred over horses for pulling, but frowned upon for riding.

Cross-country travel was mostly done with the driver walking. A person weighing 150 pounds isn't an insignificant weight. The picture of a team of horses pulling a family across the prairie is a joke. The family walked most of the time and horses weren't used.

Oxen and mules in the same wagon train don't tend to work well. The mules walk a lot faster.

Daily care would be brushing and feeding. Horses and mules would need their shoes maintained, although mules especially, depending upon the terrain, might not need shoes. Water is a major requirement in some areas. When deserts are crossed, frequently the last few miles were done at a gallop, as the water-starved animals raced to the water source.

For rugged roads, I'd probable go with solid-wheeled carts, as they suffer less breakage then spokes. The wheels, however, do add weight to the detriment of payload. Extra wheels are a requirement, and although an axle can be easily made from a tree, I'd probably carry a spare. Jacking a wagon can be done by inserting a pole under the wagon and everybody lifts. Then rocks are inserted to hold the wagon in place.

The choice between mule or oxen is less clear-cut, but I'd think I'd prefer go with oxen. Much more reliable over the long haul.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
donkey are good over rough terrain, but they are small, and light. oxen are slower, but stronger and have less feet problem over long distances.