Mentioning that you've contacted an agent before

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I was just wondering what people's thoughts were.

I've submitted to a particular agent within the past year--it was probably seven or eight months ago. She passed on the project (though she did ask for a partial).

Now I have a new MS and project. When querying this agent (she's a very good prospect for my genre, historical), should I mention that I've contacted her before about a different project? Or should I just submit the new one without mentioning the old one that she passed on?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, it would depend on the response to the old one. I don't really know what others would say to this, or the rule (if there is one), but if it was a form rejection or something that wasn't particularly enthusiastic, or definitely if it was outright negative, I wouldn't mention it at all. If she actually seemed interested but passed anyway and gave something other than a generic compliment, I'd mention it.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Alright. I thought I probably shouldn't. I just didn't want to come off as disingenuous if she remembered the last project. Though I know full well how unlikely THAT is, having worked at a literary agency. The number of submissions is overwhelming!

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, unless you have a rapport with her or are submitting a revised version of a project you've queried her before (which I know you're not), there's no reason to mention you've submitted before.

Good luck!