• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Sony e-reader 600 touch edition--good for writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Won the USF science fiction award ($200) and wanted to invest it toward the purchase of the sony e-reader touch edition. the 600 touch model seems about a price I can afford, and as a writer I noticed the stylus as well as the reading functions.

Anyone have one of these? Is it realistic to begin musings or short writings using either the stylus or touch-screen keyboard? Curious if it might double as a "notebook" when creativity strikes? Note down interesting conversations I've evesdropped, etc.?

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
I didn't realize they had any kind of text program. I know you can take notes associated with a book, but can you separately? If so, I think it would make a great notebook. I've written entire chapters on my iPod touch, so I would think it would be no problem on a bigger screen like the ereader has. (I'm writing this on my Droid cell phone.)

Deleted member 42

Is it realistic to begin musings or short writings using either the stylus or touch-screen keyboard? Curious if it might double as a "notebook" when creativity strikes? Note down interesting conversations I've evesdropped, etc.?

No, it's really not. Save a little and shop around for a netbook.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
See, the thing is I already have a laptop (full-sized). I think I might go for the Kindle 2, after seeing reviews on both.

Reaction score
I have both a netbook and the ereader Touch and while good for 'highlighting' sections of text, making brief notes and such, the Touch isn't good as a notebook at all. Think of it as a device for marking up completed manuscripts. That's what I use mine for - read throughs of works-in-progress.

If you're looking for something to actually compose on, get a netbook.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit disappointed to hear you can't type up full excerpts on e-readers; but I do use my laptop to write as well. I just dislike the glare in the sun so I can't really use it in daylight out by the lake or something.

I'm kind of sold on the lower price/higher variety of the Kindle 2 v. the Sony model, even though I've been a dedicated Sony customer since PS1 (my laptop is a Vaio). Bah. Oh well, I'll work it out ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.