PDA

View Full Version : real life slit throat senaro..

amlptj
04-20-2010, 08:38 AM
now ive looked around for an answer but online is giving me different answers. I know movies arnt very accurate so i was wondering how long in real life would it take for a person to die if their throat is slit with a knife? Is it very painful? Can the person still speak? Do they sufficate or just bleed out?

Kitty Pryde
04-20-2010, 08:58 AM
There's a video on the internets of a hockey game in which a goalie had his carotid artery sliced open by an opposing player's skate. It's quite gory, but I believe a nurse jumped out of the stands and kept him alive until emergency services came? Anyway, the guy lived, barely. You might check out his story.

Is it very painful? Hmm...have you ever cut yourself slicing a bagel? I'm going to guess yeah.

DoomBunny
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Depends exactly what is severed. The jugular is a vein, so it's carrying de-oxygenated blood away from the brain. It's at a fair pressure, but not as much as some think. The carotid on the other hand is the artery carrying blood to the brain, and as such your brain would starve pretty quick. It's also at a higher pressure as it's closer to the heart. The catch is the carotid is deeper than the jugular, and hidden between muscles. Neither is going to kill you instantly to the best of my knowledge, although I'm just a casual student of anatomy and hardly an expert.

I would guess that if the trachea is severed speaking would be difficult, but I couldn't say whether suffocation would get you before blood loss. Tough call. ^^

I suspect shock would be more of an issue than pain, and most likely what incapacitates the victim long enough for them to die.

third person
04-21-2010, 05:57 AM
There's a video on the internets of a hockey game in which a goalie had his carotid artery sliced open by an opposing player's skate. It's quite gory, but I believe a nurse jumped out of the stands and kept him alive until emergency services came? Anyway, the guy lived, barely. You might check out his story.

Is it very painful? Hmm...have you ever cut yourself slicing a bagel? I'm going to guess yeah.

Adding to this, the guy's name is Clint Malarchuk.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-21-2010, 06:27 AM
now ive looked around for an answer but online is giving me different answers. I know movies arnt very accurate so i was wondering how long in real life would it take for a person to die if their throat is slit with a knife? Is it very painful? Can the person still speak? Do they sufficate or just bleed out?

It totally depends on what the cutting implement hits and how complete the slash is.

I have seen , in ERs, people who survived a cut throat because:

The attacker didn't slash more than the esophagus, managing to miss carotids and jugular. In this case, no talking because no air flow past vocal cords.

One patient could talk, but they held something across the hole.
Bystanders had the presence of mind to grab the gushing carotid artery (severed by flying glass) and hold it shut until EMTs got there
leading to this conversation:
"Get away from the wreck" ...

"I can't, I'm holding an artery shut." ...

"DAMMIT! I SAID MOVE AWAY FROM THE WRECK!!!" ...

"What part of I'M HOLDING A !@#$$@# ARTERY CLOSED did you fail to understand? I'll move when you replace my fingers with something that looks like a hemostat." ....

"oh ... hey, George, we need a hemostat here."

"Thanks. Give me the hemostat and I'll put it on the artery, OK"

"uh .... OK."

Slashee had the presence of mind to call 9-1-1 and apply firm pressure with some sort of pad of cloth until the EMTs got there.

Adding ... with one or both carotid areeries severed, it's fountains of blood and the victim dies within a couple of minutes.

Pain? With a sharp blade, they may not even feel it.

OneWriter
04-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Scary... Can I jump in and ask a related question: if the trachea is severed, wouldn't the victim die of suffocation?

GeorgeK
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Scary... Can I jump in and ask a related question: if the trachea is severed, wouldn't the victim die of suffocation?
No, it would in effect be the same as having a tracheostomy. The problem would be not drowning in blood that might be draining into the tracheostomy.

Kalyke
04-21-2010, 05:28 PM
It depends on whether the arteries are cut. The voice would depend on whether the voice box is damaged. People who have their throat slit do not always die. As far as how long? It takes as long to die as it takes the volume of a person's blood (about 4 quarts) to squirt through the hole made in their vein at a high rate of pressure. I've heard it is only a few minutes.

amlptj
04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone!!! This helped me finish my death scene!