The Perfect Title!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever have a title pop into your head and think "That's a great title!" but have absolutely nothing to go with it? That happens to me from time to time, and it happened to me today. I always put them in a file just in case I ever come up with a story to put with it or if it someday matches a story I'm already working on and they find each other and instantly want to make babies together.

It's frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. I love this title but dang it! I don't have anything to go with it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, all the time. I have a separate file called Title and Story Ideas; whenever anything from an interesting title to a full story premise pops into my head, I put it in the file (then I try to go back to whatever I'm suppose to be working on). It is literally about a hundred-page long.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Yep. I get that ALL the time. Well, often, anyways. And I totally had an example until this thread loaded. >.< I hate when that happens...

Oh! I remember. This was in... a literary magazine class, I think. I misread something as Loving Fenrir, and decided that would make a great title for something someday.

Hmm... alleycat, you've got a good system goin' there. Centralized. My ideas are all written on random scraps of paper somewhere in my many piles of writing-related stuff. It's very inefficient. :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
"Bloodbath and Beyond" and "Lies, Murder, and Everything Else" are my biggest two right now.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like the first one, it's what prompted this thread. I always research my titles once I fall in love with one to make sure it's not too close to anything else. Bloodbath and Beyond has been used once as a video game, but that's it. So I shouldn't have any problems if I can ever find a freakin' story to go with it.

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Sometimes but then when I write something I find I have to search to find the right title. At times I get them from my wife or kids but then at others the story just gives itself a title.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this happens to me, and I put the titles in the bunny hutch with their opposites, the ideas without titles. Sometimes they hook up and create something larger than either alone -- that happened to me recently, and what a delight!

Alwoody

Back for another round
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time coming up with a perfect title for my MS.

But, I get it, and I do have a file for ideas with no titles and titles with no ideas to go with them, albeit a small one.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
My English instructor's roommate in college wrote a creative paper with the title

Bimbos of the Deathstar

The then teacher told him that he simply had to write a book with that title, that no matter what, the book would sell.

Five years later, the friend did write a short 180 page book with that title and it sold.

I read the book, it was pretty good. It was about a murder at a sci-fi convention. Pretty damn funny

Mel...

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time coming up with a perfect title for my MS.

But, I get it, and I do have a file for ideas with no titles and titles with no ideas to go with them, albeit a small one.

Oh, I grapple with that plenty of times, in fact most of the time. It's what kills me when I get the perfect title (imo) and have nothing to go with it.

Reaction score
Happens all the time. I am, of course, The Title Ninja. I've got titles coming out the wazoo.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like the first one, it's what prompted this thread. I always research my titles once I fall in love with one to make sure it's not too close to anything else. Bloodbath and Beyond has been used once as a video game, but that's it. So I shouldn't have any problems if I can ever find a freakin' story to go with it.
Where have you been shopping? I just SO can't help but think of "Bed, Bath and Beyond." :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Where have you been shopping? I just SO can't help but think of "Bed, Bath and Beyond." :)

It's really funny. When the title came to me I could hear this announcer in my head saying "Here at Bloodbath and Beyond, we cover all our customer needs."

It strikes me as a horror comedy title because of those very same similarities.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
It's really funny. When the title came to me I could hear this announcer in my head saying "Here at Bloodbath and Beyond, we cover all our customer needs."

It strikes me as a horror comedy title because of those very same similarities.
I'm so glad you confessed to this.

Yes, you did confess. ;)

When I write query letters, I hear an announcer's voice. "When Eden Died...one day for the reckoning, one for salvation, which will be...the beginning....or the end? Out in theatres May 15th, 2010."

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you confessed to this.

Yes, you did confess. ;)

When I write query letters, I hear an announcer's voice. "When Eden Died...one day for the reckoning, one for salvation, which will be...the beginning....or the end? Out in theatres May 15th, 2010."

Yes, I have my own personal set of announcers who are slaves to my various books and movies. It's fantastic. :D

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Bimbos of the Deathstar. :ROFL: That's a good one.

My English instructor's roommate in college wrote a creative paper with the title

Bimbos of the Deathstar

The then teacher told him that he simply had to write a book with that title, that no matter what, the book would sell.

Five years later, the friend did write a short 180 page book with that title and it sold.

I read the book, it was pretty good. It was about a murder at a sci-fi convention. Pretty damn funny

Mel...

I thought it was called Bimbos of the Death Sun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbos_of_the_Death_Sun

Same book, right?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I have real trouble with titles, so when a good one comes along I keep it on file too.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Titles kill me. I have a horrible time with them. I had the same trouble as a journalist. Every now and then, when I was the night crime reporter, I'd tried to help the editors if things were slow. Headlines were the one thing I just couldn't do.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This happens to me consistently.

Over the decades, I've never found stories for these titles. Always seems like a shame to me, but my life isn't over.

Of course, if I should happen upon the untitled story of a friend and it fits one of these titles--they're gonna owe me at least a "Thanks!" mention when they get it published.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, all the time. I have a separate file called Title and Story Ideas; whenever anything from an interesting title to a full story premise pops into my head, I put it in the file (then I try to go back to whatever I'm suppose to be working on). It is literally about a hundred-page long.

I have one of those files too, haha. It's imaginatively called 'Ideas'.

Status
Not open for further replies.