PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Title!

icerose
04-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Do you ever have a title pop into your head and think "That's a great title!" but have absolutely nothing to go with it? That happens to me from time to time, and it happened to me today. I always put them in a file just in case I ever come up with a story to put with it or if it someday matches a story I'm already working on and they find each other and instantly want to make babies together.

It's frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. I love this title but dang it! I don't have anything to go with it.

alleycat
04-20-2010, 03:59 AM
Yep, all the time. I have a separate file called Title and Story Ideas; whenever anything from an interesting title to a full story premise pops into my head, I put it in the file (then I try to go back to whatever I'm suppose to be working on). It is literally about a hundred-page long.

LilliCray
04-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Yep. I get that ALL the time. Well, often, anyways. And I totally had an example until this thread loaded. >.< I hate when that happens...

Oh! I remember. This was in... a literary magazine class, I think. I misread something as Loving Fenrir, and decided that would make a great title for something someday.

Hmm... alleycat, you've got a good system goin' there. Centralized. My ideas are all written on random scraps of paper somewhere in my many piles of writing-related stuff. It's very inefficient. :D

Cassiopeia
04-20-2010, 04:16 AM
So what was the title, Icerose?

icerose
04-20-2010, 06:21 AM
"Bloodbath and Beyond" and "Lies, Murder, and Everything Else" are my biggest two right now.

Cassiopeia
04-20-2010, 08:52 AM
"Bloodbath and Beyond" and "Lies, Murder, and Everything Else" are my biggest two right now.Sweet! I especially like the first one.

I had one in my mind years ago but it's probably been use. "When Eden died."

icerose
04-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I really like the first one, it's what prompted this thread. I always research my titles once I fall in love with one to make sure it's not too close to anything else. Bloodbath and Beyond has been used once as a video game, but that's it. So I shouldn't have any problems if I can ever find a freakin' story to go with it.

thehairymob
04-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Sometimes but then when I write something I find I have to search to find the right title. At times I get them from my wife or kids but then at others the story just gives itself a title.

Phaeal
04-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, this happens to me, and I put the titles in the bunny hutch with their opposites, the ideas without titles. Sometimes they hook up and create something larger than either alone -- that happened to me recently, and what a delight!

Alwoody
04-21-2010, 12:13 AM
Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time coming up with a perfect title for my MS.

But, I get it, and I do have a file for ideas with no titles and titles with no ideas to go with them, albeit a small one.

dgiharris
04-21-2010, 12:32 AM
My English instructor's roommate in college wrote a creative paper with the title

Bimbos of the Deathstar

The then teacher told him that he simply had to write a book with that title, that no matter what, the book would sell.

Five years later, the friend did write a short 180 page book with that title and it sold.

I read the book, it was pretty good. It was about a murder at a sci-fi convention. Pretty damn funny

Mel...

icerose
04-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time coming up with a perfect title for my MS.

But, I get it, and I do have a file for ideas with no titles and titles with no ideas to go with them, albeit a small one.

Oh, I grapple with that plenty of times, in fact most of the time. It's what kills me when I get the perfect title (imo) and have nothing to go with it.

icerose
04-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Bimbos of the Deathstar. :ROFL: That's a good one.

scarletpeaches
04-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Happens all the time. I am, of course, The Title Ninja. I've got titles coming out the wazoo.

benbradley
04-21-2010, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I really like the first one, it's what prompted this thread. I always research my titles once I fall in love with one to make sure it's not too close to anything else. Bloodbath and Beyond has been used once as a video game, but that's it. So I shouldn't have any problems if I can ever find a freakin' story to go with it.
Where have you been shopping? I just SO can't help but think of "Bed, Bath and Beyond." :)

icerose
04-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Where have you been shopping? I just SO can't help but think of "Bed, Bath and Beyond." :)

It's really funny. When the title came to me I could hear this announcer in my head saying "Here at Bloodbath and Beyond, we cover all our customer needs."

It strikes me as a horror comedy title because of those very same similarities.

Cassiopeia
04-21-2010, 04:32 AM
It's really funny. When the title came to me I could hear this announcer in my head saying "Here at Bloodbath and Beyond, we cover all our customer needs."

It strikes me as a horror comedy title because of those very same similarities.I'm so glad you confessed to this.

Yes, you did confess. ;)

When I write query letters, I hear an announcer's voice. "When Eden Died...one day for the reckoning, one for salvation, which will be...the beginning....or the end? Out in theatres May 15th, 2010."

icerose
04-21-2010, 05:53 AM
I'm so glad you confessed to this.

Yes, you did confess. ;)

When I write query letters, I hear an announcer's voice. "When Eden Died...one day for the reckoning, one for salvation, which will be...the beginning....or the end? Out in theatres May 15th, 2010."

Yes, I have my own personal set of announcers who are slaves to my various books and movies. It's fantastic. :D

Cassiopeia
04-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Yes, I have my own personal set of announcers who are slaves to my various books and movies. It's fantastic. :DIndeed it is :)

If you've ever seen the movie "The Holiday"..mine has that same voice. Totally awesomeness.

Bartholomew
04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Bimbos of the Deathstar. :ROFL: That's a good one.

My English instructor's roommate in college wrote a creative paper with the title

Bimbos of the Deathstar

The then teacher told him that he simply had to write a book with that title, that no matter what, the book would sell.

Five years later, the friend did write a short 180 page book with that title and it sold.

I read the book, it was pretty good. It was about a murder at a sci-fi convention. Pretty damn funny

Mel...

I thought it was called Bimbos of the Death Sun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbos_of_the_Death_Sun

Same book, right?

shaldna
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM
I have real trouble with titles, so when a good one comes along I keep it on file too.

happywritermom
04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Titles kill me. I have a horrible time with them. I had the same trouble as a journalist. Every now and then, when I was the night crime reporter, I'd tried to help the editors if things were slow. Headlines were the one thing I just couldn't do.

dgiharris
04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I thought it was called Bimbos of the Death Sun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbos_of_the_Death_Sun

Same book, right?

:e2smack:

Yeah, its been over ten years since I read it.

Bimbos of the Death Sun.

Thanks for the correction

Mel...

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 07:37 PM
This happens to me consistently.

Over the decades, I've never found stories for these titles. Always seems like a shame to me, but my life isn't over.

Of course, if I should happen upon the untitled story of a friend and it fits one of these titles--they're gonna owe me at least a "Thanks!" mention when they get it published.

S.J.
04-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Yep, all the time. I have a separate file called Title and Story Ideas; whenever anything from an interesting title to a full story premise pops into my head, I put it in the file (then I try to go back to whatever I'm suppose to be working on). It is literally about a hundred-page long.

I have one of those files too, haha. It's imaginatively called 'Ideas'.

lucidzfl
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
"Bloodbath and Beyond" and "Lies, Murder, and Everything Else" are my biggest two right now.

holy christ. I would buy your first book, right this god damn second, cold, over the internet for that title.

If anything between the pages is as rad awesome as that, its gonna be a best seller!

icerose
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
holy christ. I would buy your first book, right this god damn second, cold, over the internet for that title.

If anything between the pages is as rad awesome as that, its gonna be a best seller!

That's what I thought when it popped in my head. It's why it's killing me that I don't have a story to go with it!