[oops] freshly ground black people

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They should have just renamed it To Serve Man.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised this was said: "why anyone would be offended, we don't know," head of publishing Bob Sessions is quoted as saying by the Sydney newspaper."

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
The recipe reminds me of one my [carnivorous] son wrote in college, when he was asked to contribute to a vegan cookbook:

Vegetarian Teriyaki:

Step One: Take one vegetarian, sliced thin...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if it has a recipe for Moo Goo Guy in a Pan. Beans & Frank?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised this was said: "why anyone would be offended, we don't know," head of publishing Bob Sessions is quoted as saying by the Sydney newspaper."

That's the first thing that struck me. The typo itself is pretty funny. It wasn't inserted in a devious way by some moustache twirling racist. It was a computer error that ended up sounding ridiculous.

Buuuuuut, I can still see why it's offensive. Bob Sessions needs to check his sensitivity meter.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You have to think how that could have happened. I don't believe anyone intentionally typed people instead of pepper. Well, yeah, it could have happened that way, but I think more likely is pepper was originally mistyped as peppre or whatever - then someone running a spell checker caught it, wasn't paying attention to context, and picked the first suggestion for a correctly spelled word to replace it with, which happened to be people. And hey, it even gets by MS Word's grammar checker, as both pepper and people are nouns.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That's the first thing that struck me. The typo itself is pretty funny. It wasn't inserted in a devious way by some moustache twirling racist. It was a computer error that ended up sounding ridiculous.

Buuuuuut, I can still see why it's offensive. Bob Sessions needs to check his sensitivity meter.
And for every case like this that hits the news, there are thousands of such errors in publications that don't make the news because they couldn't be interpreted as racist or sexist or otherwise offensive.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
And for every case like this that hits the news, there are thousands of such errors in publications that don't make the news because they couldn't be interpreted as racist or sexist or otherwise offensive.

That's true...typos happen. This one just happened to be a bit more notable.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if it has a recipe for Moo Goo Guy in a Pan. Beans & Frank?

Ben and Frank

1631 "Wicked bible" had a typo:

Thou shalt commit adultery

woot.gif

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
He was presuming a level of intelligence and tolerance that will never, ever be achieved.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a proofreader, I'm laughing my butt off (although some glaring errors have made it past me, unfortunately)