Writing about writing

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I have quite a few ideas for articles about writing, but I've never been published and I have no credentials. Would this be any more of a barrier for writing articles about writing than it would be in another subject?

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. It's not easy either way.
As far as paying markets go, you might have to look around a bit more, maybe. I'd think that tying it in with NaNoWriMo could open the doors to some publications that don't have writing as their subject matter at all. But it's a while yet until November...

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... have been thinking of doing so, myself, if I can manage to settle on a topic ;-)
Having experience helps. And there are some topics you probably will be unlikely to be assigned to write on unless you have direct experience. But as long as you stick to the essentials I think you'll be okay. G'luck.
(I think Poets & Writers publishes freelance articles on writing.)

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the big magazines on writing, like Poets & Writers, are going to buy an article on writing from somebody who's never been published. As a reader, I would feel cheated. Maybe smaller publications.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
If you want to be perceived as a credible source you should wait until you have some published clips. Or, if you plan to interview some experts in the field (published writers, editors, writing professors) and use their quotes, that would fill the need for viable sources. Good luck.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
At least begin blogging about writing to gain a following. IF you gain a following.

There are so many blogs, websites, and articles on writing that unless you have something that is going to turn heads...it isn't worth it. Sorry if I am raining on the parade here- but there are people who have been published that many of us wouldn't read advice from.

Why? Because a lot of crap makes it to print or web.

I've been writing for several years, under my own name and ghosting. I've taught writers from this forum about SEO, content, and even given hints on how to write better fiction. But because I am not a big name, no one would have read my articles on writing- until now. These days I'm an editor with a new press and some writers would tune in just to find out what I wanted from them. NOT how I got there. Writers write according to their own voice. That's where people forget that it doesn't matter what you tell a writer, their success lies in their voice.

Look at YOUR interests outside of writing and find yourself a niche. Write what you love and write it well. Get published with that, then decide if you still want to talk to writers. We're a picky bunch.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what you write, and how you write it. One of the most successful writing books of all time is "Writing Down the Bone" by Nataluie Goldberg. At the time she sold it, she hadn't published much of anything, and still hasn't had much success at all, outside of an increasing number of how-to books.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I like reading about writing and I would love to read your work on the subject.I also know there are some very successful books on writing.But, I believe you may struggle to find anybody who will buy your articles.I think the number one top tip for article writers is, research you market.Unfortunately the marker for you is quite small and has a large and more experienced supply.

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of established, published writers write about writing. On their blogs, in magazines, on the web... the market is sort of glutted, and if you want to make money at it, you really do need the experience. Try twisting your ideas about writing to appeal to other markets. For example, an article about how to stay disciplined at your desk could be twisted to how to stay disciplined while training for a marathon for a running magazine.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I have quite a few ideas for articles about writing, but I've never been published and I have no credentials. Would this be any more of a barrier for writing articles about writing than it would be in another subject?
If you wrote an article about fly fishing, I would (as an editor) expect you to have gone out at least once and given it a try.

If you wrote about cooking, I would expect you to have made that recipe.

If you have a travel piece, I would expect you to have visited the area.

Non-fiction demands hands-on experience.

Fiction does not. (I do a lot of research and fake the rest!)

Yesterday I was contacted by someone from a major news organization who wanted to do a TV report on me walking around a city and pointing out the places that appear in one of my book series. I let her know I'd been in that city twice and made the rest up with help from the library and Google maps.

As a fiction writer I can get away with it. (Apparently rather well, too!)

As a fact reporter, she could not, so I had to say no. Though I'd have loved to do such a thing, I wouldn't lie to her.

An article on writing will hold more weight when you have sold something. You can take your chance and hope the article is good enough to sell, but expect the editor to look you up to see what else you've sold, fiction or non-fiction. If it's a choice between you (with no creds) and another writer (who sold a short stringer piece to his local paper) the other guy will probably get the sale.

Consider that your first bucket of cold reality. Write something and sell it, then write about how to write.

# # #

About ten years ago a couple of high energy gals came to my writing group. It was a small group, five out of six were pro published; they were friends with the hostess and had wrangled an invitation.

They'd found a small publisher (no advance, pay in royalties) for their how-to book on writing. They'd put work into it, gotten a professional edit, and hoped that the published pros in the group might trib a nice cover quote.

I flipped through the galley. My first question was the same as you'd get from any editor: "What else have you sold?"

There was so much spin tossed in that room it could have been a yo-yo convention.

After a bit--me repeating the same question, first in disbelief, then in growing annoyance--they finally admitted they hadn't sold anything, finished anything else, or gotten so much as a letter to the editor published. This was their first effort.

I then asked: "What's wrong with that picture? Is your publisher aware you've got absolutely no practical experience at writing, and yet you're attempting to sell a book about how to write?"

More spin. Their book was aimed at beginners in writing. Really early beginners. It had info on how to set up a work space, how to organize your day, music and books for inspiration, and what kinds of food to nibble to keep the brain going.

Oooooo-kay. The cover copy indicated there was information on the submission process (a few lines inside rather than a chapter) and what to look for in an agent (get an honest one!), which I consider far more important than how to manage Post It notes and snacks. Their lack of experience prompted, "How can you in good conscience sell this to the public when you've never sold a word in the professional market?

No real reply. It was painful to watch.

My point taken, I said I could not, in good conscience, do a cover quote. If they came back in a year with *some* kind of pro sales under their belt and showed me a draft that included what they'd learned from the experience, then I would certainly reconsider. Otherwise they were a couple of virgins selling a how-to sex manual at the Mustang Ranch. (Not unheard of, but I'm sure such books are there as a joke.)

Later I saw them at a convention selling a book, but it wasn't THAT book. They compiled a list of hundreds of titles broken down by genre, author, author pen names, and general themes. In their original book, this section had only been a few pages long; this version was over 100 pages. The research was excellent, culled from their personal collections and that of their many friends.

They'd turned lemons into lemonade by writing about something they knew, printing it at Kinkos. It made a big difference, and I even bought a copy.

Oh, the original book deal fell through. Seems their publisher was just as much an amateur as they and went out of business. I was not at all surprised.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm barely published, but two of my publications are about writing. One is a poem, the other a personal essay. A personal essay is non fiction, but no one can deny it's veracity or my expertise in the subject. In fact, I've sold it twice. Once was to Christian Communicator, a paying market (though minimal). The poem is in the May/June Writer's Journal - paid submission, not contest. I'm working my way up to articles with these publications once they know my work better. Relationships can trump writing credits, but not easily. Perhaps you can turn your article ideas into essays.

-Debbie

UrbanMuse

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susan-johnston.com
I'd suggest getting some other credits first. However, one thing that could help you break into writing-related publications with few or no credits is if you have a really interesting, fresh idea and you're able to interview more established writers on the topic. That way, you're citing them as the experts and you're compiling their information into a nice, cohesive article. And you can learn a LOT from interviewing writers about their craft.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I think it depends on what you're trying to write. Are you writing a how-to piece advising other writers on achieving something that you haven't yet achieved? In that case, I'd hold off until you have some experience. But if you're writing about personal experience or things that you've had problems with (procrastination, writer's block, etc), then why not?

Personally, I'm always interested in reading about writers' techniques, methods, and experiences, no matter whether they're new or experienced. But I'd feel a lot less comfortable taking advice from someone who hasn't been there and done that.

Last edited: