My landlord is insane

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm posting this because there's no-one else home for me to talk to. Today I've gone from almost calling the fire department to seriously considering calling the police because of my fucking landlord. He hired people to come into the basement of my building and remove a huge boiler (an operation which shakes the entire building and literally sounds like a semi ran through one of the walls) without telling any of the tenants what was going to happen! I was woken up by what felt and sounded like an explosion. The landlord damn well knows I work nights and damn well knew I would be home, but didn't think it warranted a 30-second phone call to let me know what would happen so I would not think the building was blowing up!

Of course, once I figured out what was going on, I called my landlord and asked him why the hell he didn't tell me. Then, instead of apologizing, he takes a total attitude and snidely says "Why the hell would I tell you?" Of course, I explained that it almost resulted in an unwarranted 911 call (and could've given my mother a heart-attack if she'd been home!). He kept up with the attitude, so I finally told him he could go fuck himself and hung up.

Then it should've been over. But it wasn't. Two hours later he shows up at my house! He pretended to have paperwork to drop off (yeah, right, ever heard of this thing called mail?), but it was obvious all he wanted was to confront me in person because he just couldn't believe anyone, especially a woman *gasp*, would have the nerve to tell him to fuck himself. Of course, this resulted in an exchange that involved me saying the words "If you think you can intimidate me you've got another thing coming" and ended with me telling him he could go fuck himself all over again before slamming the door in his face (and throwing the deadbolt because this guy is crazy!)

So, in summary, I called my landlord with a legitimate complaint, and the whole thing ended with him driving an entire hour to my house to harass me because I wouldn't cowtow to his 'authority' and keep quietly in my place.

Oh, and one extra-special gem from our 'conversation'. When I said I nearly called the fire-department because I thought the building was exploding he said 'why would you call the fire department instead of me?'. *head desk*

It's seriously scary to think that someone crazy and immature enough to drive an entire hour to finish an argument has the keys to my apartment, particularly when I'm here alone all day every weekday. I'm not kidding about calling the police if he comes around here again.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go to his house with one of those beasties you've got in your sig and leave it in his bed.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go to his house with one of those beasties you've got in your sig and leave it in his bed.
Ha. If the playing field were level, and I had keys to his house like he does mine, I'd probably do something worse than that. :evil

The situation is just escalating further. Now he's on the phone with another member of my family trying to fuck with our rental agreement. And I'm starting to reconsider calling the police and reporting him.

Reaction score
Why thank you. :D (I think...)

Me and my friend the barman's comb would love to come out to play.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...The situation is just escalating further. Now he's on the phone with another member of my family trying to fuck with our rental agreement.
Screw him. Unless you violate the terms of the lease somehow, and I doubt telling him off is a provision, he can't do squat and will just have to wait until the lease ends if he wishes to rent the property to someone else.

Keep standing your ground, and don't let him push you around. If he harasses or threatens you in any way, have him arrested. Or better yet, hit him across the face with a baseball bat and claim afterward that you were protecting yourself.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You had me at, "I work nights." :(

I think there needs to be a law that allows night workers who continually have their sleep interrupted to exact revenge without fear of repercussion. For example, I think you should be allowed to go to his home at 3 a.m. and light of strings of M-80's in his front yard. If he has a car alarm, that should be activated too (but wait until about 4 a.m., so he's settled back in after the fireworks). Then around 6 a.m. call his house (from a pay phone) then apologize for calling a wrong number. Do this at least 4-5 times in a row and act all giggly and drunk. Of course, you could always pretend you just butt dialed him too.

I bet after a couple weeks of this he'd be more respectful of other peoples sleep schedules.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have my sympathy. I used to have a landlord who would come over unannounced. One time, he rang the outside doorbell, but I ignored it, because I had just gotten out of the shower, was walking around naked, and wasn't expecting anyone. Next thing I knew, the jerk is coming into my apartment without even knocking. And then he stared at me and said, "People shouldn't be naked at 3 in the afternoon." Apparently, I should have been dressed at all times in my own home.

I installed a chain on all the doors...

Good luck! And be sure to document any issues you have with him. And always get receipts or pay the rent by check. Cover all your bases. :D

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the landlord-tennant laws are like where you live, but you might want to check them out.

Smish, especially--where I live (Ontario) a landlord must give 24 hours notice of entry unless it's an emergency.

Personally, I'd be looking for another place to live, if you can. Life's too short to deal with idiots like that. I'd go with setting off the guy's car alarm, but that would disturb his innocent neighbors as well.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Screw him. Unless you violate the terms of the lease somehow, and I doubt telling him off is a provision, he can't do squat and will just have to wait until the lease ends if he wishes to rent the property to someone else.

Keep standing your ground, and don't let him push you around. If he harasses or threatens you in any way, have him arrested. Or better yet, hit him across the face with a baseball bat and claim afterward that you were protecting yourself.
Unfortunately we just went onto a month-to-month lease. :( He can pretty much do whatever he wants. Fighting him in court would be pointless, because it's not like I really want to stay here if he's going to act that way, you know? I have no idea why he would want us out, since we always pay our rent early, maintain stuff that's not even our responsibility, and get along great with the rest of the tenants. But apparently he does. :Shrug:

You better believe that I won't back down. ;) I'm stubborn and aggressive to a fault. I was so angry at the time that I didn't even realize how much he was threatening me until later (after my OP). He did it in a super-creepy way too. Not really shouting, but very cold and suggestive. His last words were "It's my building and I'll do whatever I want in it". I think I was too surprised to really understand the implications.

And it won't be a baseball bat, it'll be a pistol. That's not a joke or bravado. I wish it was (not that I'm not glad I have a gun, but, contrary to what some of my 'friends' seem to think, I do NOT want to have to use it).

You had me at, "I work nights." :(

I think there needs to be a law that allows night workers who continually have their sleep interrupted to exact revenge without fear of repercussion. For example, I think you should be allowed to go to his home at 3 a.m. and light of strings of M-80's in his front yard. If he has a car alarm, that should be activated too (but wait until about 4 a.m., so he's settled back in after the fireworks). Then around 6 a.m. call his house (from a pay phone) then apologize for calling a wrong number. Do this at least 4-5 times in a row and act all giggly and drunk. Of course, you could always pretend you just butt dialed him too.

I bet after a couple weeks of this he'd be more respectful of other peoples sleep schedules.
I usually don't have too much trouble because I'm a REALLY deep sleeper (I had to buy a special alarm clock because normal ones won't wake me up). But this was beyond loud. It was literally the loudest sound I have ever heard inside a building (excluding an indoor firing range and a metal-working factory).

You have my sympathy. I used to have a landlord who would come over unannounced. One time, he rang the outside doorbell, but I ignored it, because I had just gotten out of the shower, was walking around naked, and wasn't expecting anyone. Next thing I knew, the jerk is coming into my apartment without even knocking. And then he stared at me and said, "People shouldn't be naked at 3 in the afternoon." Apparently, I should have been dressed at all times in my own home.

I installed a chain on all the doors...

Good luck! And be sure to document any issues you have with him. And always get receipts or pay the rent by check. Cover all your bases. :D
Wow, Smish, that's really creepy, and horrible. Just . . . ick. At least I was threatened with my clothes on.

We always pay the rent by check. I never trusted the landlord, but there's a difference between thinking he's a dishonest jerk and mentally unbalanced and potentially violent, KWIM?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oy, I am SO sorry you're dealing with such a creep! Time to look for a new apartment, I think.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd move if I had such issues with a landlord.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the landlord-tennant laws are like where you live, but you might want to check them out.

Smish, especially--where I live (Ontario) a landlord must give 24 hours notice of entry unless it's an emergency.

Personally, I'd be looking for another place to live, if you can. Life's too short to deal with idiots like that. I'd go with setting off the guy's car alarm, but that would disturb his innocent neighbors as well.
We have the same law about entry here in the states (at least in Pennsylvania). That's making the huge assumption the landlord is going to obey the law, however.

I really love where I live (except the landlord obviously), but you're all right about it not being worth it.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Some places have special boards (? sorry, unsure of teh verbage!) to deal with jerkoff landlords. - and he has to follow the law - if he doesn't, you call the cops! Even if going to court isn't worth it, call the cops on him every chance you get, if he behaves inappropriately, dangerously, or does illegal stuff!!

And yeah, I'd get the hell out.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the past before I bought my house, I did have issues with two landlords. On both occasions I moved out. One was a complete ass, he had issue with having to fix stuff and usually put it off until I threatened to report him to the buildings owner. The other I caught peeping in my windows one day.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I talked to my mom and we're probably going to look at a couple places tomorrow.

And my dad thinks it's my fault. But that's a whole other thread.

And people have the nerve to wonder WHY I spend all my time on the computer, talking to no-one except the people on my forums and my imaginary friends (my characters ;) ). Gee, such a mystery.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
((((((((HUGS)))))) Chasing. Wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I do hope it works out for you and you find a more peaceful place to live. Much good luck.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
So is mine. Should never have married her.
soon as the divorce papers come through...

well, soon as i find something rent controlled.
no point in being silly