PDA

View Full Version : Wow...a rejection made me feel good?

ArcticFox
04-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I got an amazing personal rejection. I just wanted to share! This is what the editor had to say about my story:

"I enjoyed this story and thought William had some great character development. He had some real problems and was believable. God job on this. I also didn't expect (cut for spoilerage). Nice surprise there. Unfortunately, this story isn't what we're looking for. I wouldn't even label this horror fiction. This is more crime/noir caliber. Try submitting this to some crime magazines, and I think you'll have a good shot at getting in."

This was a professional level market too! He liked it! It just wasn't the right genre..oops..but wow between this and my first short story acceptance last week I am over the moon!

CheekyWench
04-16-2010, 09:01 PM
:hooray:
That's awesome. Love those feel good R's :D

CaroGirl
04-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Congratulations! That response is really encouraging!

Little1
04-16-2010, 09:03 PM
WOW! Thats awsome! ^_^

Phaeal
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Now THAT's a personalized rejection letter, and a very nice one, too!

Put that story back in the mail yesterday.

Mystic Blossom
04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Great job! Find some new markets and get to sending.

ArcticFox
04-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Yes it made me feel so good! Thank you all! I knew you guys would understand. So many times you sit and go: Why? But this just made my day! Thank you all and keep it up! This is to show persistance pays!

regdog
04-16-2010, 11:20 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/woot.gif

SWest
04-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Way to go! So super for someone to take the time to demonstrate that they did in fact read your sub, and then took the further time to recommend a market that might snap you up!

Let us know how this story ends... ;)

OctoberRain
04-17-2010, 02:26 AM
That has got to be the best rejection letter ever. Chalk this one up to a win! Way to go.

vsrenard
04-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Congratulations. You should definitely take that as encouragement!

gypsyscarlett
04-17-2010, 11:40 AM
That's great encouragement. :)

Now go send it to out to other magazines and good luck! :)

ArcticFox
05-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks, guys! I have submitted it to other places and I must say I went for the gusto! We'll see what happens!

Ugawa
05-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Congratz :D. Personal rejections can be cool.

And props for the never ending story avatar. Lol. I used to love that film when I was younger.

ArcticFox
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Ugawa ~ Thanks! Hey, I am 30 and I love that movie still. What do you mean when you were younger, hmmmm?

Julie Worth
05-10-2010, 10:30 PM
As I read it, I thought, he's just starting with the good, and then he'll deliver the bad. But the bad never came. So yeah, this is a great rejection.

ArcticFox
05-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Julie - I thought the same thing when I opened the e-mail LOL

ArcticFox
09-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Updated for all you wondering! I am still trying to find a home for this story I have gotten several other personalized responses. Here they are:

"Thank you for sending us "The Bill Collector." We have reviewed the
story and decided not to purchase it. The premise of the piece is
interesting, but I'm afraid the origins of Williams problems are a
little odd. I'm not sure why a bookie would extend someone such a
large line of credit with nothing to secure it, and I didn't
understand who the Bill collector was, or how he knew this particular
Bill."

and then...

"I didn't really understand the ending. Who was the Bill Collector? He must have been human, and what did he want with Bill? It was just too vague for me"

and the most recent...

"It's an effective slice of noir, but the style of it is too period for [redacted]. Classic noir language like "green" and such don't suit the style of the magazine. But we think publications like MYSTERY SCENE would really go for this sort of thing. There's a nice sense of increasing pace to the tale."

so four personal responses two saying it's vague and two saying it's good, but not right for them...I will find a place for this LOL! What do you guys think?

YukonMike
09-13-2010, 02:00 AM
There must be something to the story -- if it was crap you would be getting a lot of form rejections.

Daddyo
09-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Yeah, frame that rejection. Those don't come along too often.

ArcticFox
09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks, guys! I have hopes it will find a home.