A Decision Regarding my Querying

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
So I've come to a decision. I don't what sort of decision it is, but I'm going to ramble on for a bit.

This may not be a hundred percent true, but I think I've reached the point where I'm not afraid to send out queries. Before, I used to be afraid. There were a thousand things to consider before the send button was pressed. What if the agents name was spelled wrong? What if I had written Mr instead of Ms or vice versa? What if there was a typo in my query? What if there was grammatical error? What if the spacing between the salutation, the body, and the closing was off and not symmetrical?

By now, you probably realize that I'm suffering from OCD. And it's probably true, though I've never taken the time (or the money) to get it diagnosed.

And with every rejection that you receive, it feels like one of your lifelines is being cut off. And this was why I liked to remain within the pre-query limbo. Because at that stage, there is always that small glimmer of hope regarding every agent.

So now that I've basically described what every writer goes through, I would like to say that this time around, I'm going to give it my all. I'm going to query query query until there aren't anymore agents to query. Then I'm going query query query until there aren't anymore small publishers to query. And finally I'm going to query query query until there aren't any e-publishers to query.

After that I'm moving on.

This is the first post, but, if I feel like my resove is wavering, I will post here again.

Thank you for reading :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
What really helps is starting another book. Even better than the one you're querying. Because by the time you run out of agents to query, you've gotten so attached to the next one that it doesn't even matter if this one isn't getting anywhere. You know that the new one will have a better chance...and Hope is still alive!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Good decision. It's the same one I've made. Except since new agents and publishers are always appearing, I'll never retire the MSS until the whole publishing world gives up in despair and PUBLISHES ME already.

;)

Reaction score
Yay you!

Also - keep writing. Keep working on your next project. Never stand still.

And I can guarantee your next book is always better than the one you're subbing.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
What really helps is starting another book. Even better than the one you're querying. Because by the time you run out of agents to query, you've gotten so attached to the next one that it doesn't even matter if this one isn't getting anywhere. You know that the new one will have a better chance...and Hope is still alive!

This is exactly what happened to me. I care about my new book way more than my first one.

And good luck, creamofmushroom!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score

I see your point. I have the first draft for a story that I wrote three years ago and which I haven't touched since then. So maybe it's time to open up that file and read through it.
Also, nice to see you again!

Good for you!

Good decision. It's the same one I've made. Except since new agents and publishers are always appearing, I'll never retire the MSS until the whole publishing world gives up in despair and PUBLISHES ME already.

;)

I know what you mean. I have the Guide to Lit agents permanently open as a window, and I refresh it everyday.

Yay you!

Also - keep writing. Keep working on your next project. Never stand still.

And I can guarantee your next book is always better than the one you're subbing.

Thanks. And keep us updated about what happens with your book. I'm not a daily visitor at AW, but I try to catch up.

This is exactly what happened to me. I care about my new book way more than my first one.

And good luck, creamofmushroom!

Thanks.

Good luck :Sun:
Thank you.

So, again, thanks for the replies everyone. And now that I've officially said this (instead of repeating it in the back of my mind, and then procrastinating every chance I get), I actually have that little kick to get going. Yay!