Latin

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble writing a couple lines in Latin, as I don't know the language, and I haven't been able to find anyone who does among my circle of friends. I don't trust computer translators to get the grammar right, so I was hoping I might find someone here who knows Latin reasonably well. The speaker in the story is supposed to be fluent, so I definitely want to get it right. Would any of you be willing/able to assist?

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I think there's a couple of people on here that do. You can pass the lines via pm me to me if you want. To be honest, it's always good to get two or three eyes on it to make sure it's right.

Although i know latin, though, it's very rare i use it in my writing. Are you writing a period novel?

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Post it, and include context, because there usually are several ways to say the same thing in Latin.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I was 3 credits shy of a masters in Latin when I left for med school. They changed the course schedule and it became an "either or", scenario. It's been a few decades, but post it. As has already been said, include context. It makes a difference.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your offers! The context is this:

A Roman man is dying and speaking what, at first, sounds like nonsense. He says something like, "Let this moon return home," or something similar. The exact wording is less important than what I need it to mean. One person, another native speaker, should be able to misinterpret it as delirium. He says the dying man thinks he can command the moon when to rise and set. A second person, not a native speaker, believes there's more to it and asks the dying man, "Where does the moon live?" or something like that (this is the second Latin line I need). It turns out, the old man is speaking in code, telling a boy whose given name means "born of the moon" to go back to his birthplace.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Domum redi, Luna = come (imperative) back home, Moon

would that work?

I think the other would be:

Ubi vivit Luna?

but please check.

ETA: OK, I wasn't sure if the verb vivir could be used in the sense of "live in a place", but I checked and found this from Cicero: In qua urbe vivimus? which means "in what city do we live?" so it should be fine.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Like I said it's been a few decades. The problem that I see off the bat is that English speakers without knowledge of certain other languages, including Latin, don't understand genders to nouns. They also don't understand the absense in Latin for the article, "the". It simply doesn't exist. A Boy is obviously masculine, wheras the moon is feminine. Hense, if he's addressing the boy, then "moon" should be put into the masculine. That perhaps is why the native speaker would be confused and assume that it was delrium. It also linguistically suggests the connection between the moon and the boy.

I suggest, but will defer to others with more recent schooling and larger dictionairies,

"Lunus ad domum referreas" or Moon (in the masculine) may you (or you may, or might you) return home.

or maybe, "Lunus itinerem ad domum facite," or Moon, make the journey home.

"Ubi Lunus vivit?" Where does Moon live?

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Like I said it's been a few decades. The problem that I see off the bat is that English speakers without knowledge of certain other languages, including Latin, don't understand genders to nouns. They also don't understand the absense in Latin for the article, "the". It simply doesn't exist. A Boy is obviously masculine, wheras the moon is feminine. Hense, if he's addressing the boy, then "moon" should be put into the masculine. That perhaps is why the native speaker would be confused and assume that it was delrium. It also linguistically suggests the connection between the moon and the boy.

I suggest, but will defer to others with more recent schooling and larger dictionairies,

"Lunus ad domum referreas" or Moon (in the masculine) may you (or you may, or might you) return home.

or maybe, "Lunus itinerem ad domum facite," or Moon, make the journey home.

"Ubi Lunus vivit?" Where does Moon live?

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you so much! You're right that I didn't even think of the masculine vs. feminine noun, and as someone who studied French (albeit ages ago) I ought to have remembered that.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm trying to remember, Facite is probably plural. Singular imperative might be "itinerem ad domum faci". Like I said it's been a few decades. I'll try to look it up, but I have to find the old grammar books first.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
why do you use Lunus? I have Luna, Lunae, first declination...

if they are going to say "lunus" as you suggest, then they won't be thinking of the Moon, they will be thinking of something else... But you are right in the sense that Luna, as a name, would be a feminine name; but the boy's name is "born of the moon", so the full name should be something like "natus ex luna" -- the masculine would be in "natus" because that's the part that refers to the boy; Luna is a feminine name and it should be used the right way if you are meaning the Earth's satellite, or at least that's what I thought the OP wanted the misunderstanding to be (between the dying man and the others).

And yes, domum redi means return home, the preposition (ad) can be omitted.
It's the most commonly used with that meaning, just google domum redit (present) or domum rediit (past).
The verb, redire, is irregular, and if you are looking for "may he return home", it should (please check!) be "domum redeat".

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
why do you use Lunus? I have Luna, Lunae, first declination...

But this is a proper name for a boy, not The moon as one would normally interpret it. Romans were rather particular about a lot of things and liked to change declensions when there were notable changes in expected genders. For example, one of Julius Caesar's official titles was "Queen of Bythinia" using regina instead of rex. In the cleaned up schoolboy's edition of Roman History we were told that it was simply a typo. When I got to grad school we got to see the more complete and not so clean versions of a lot of things. That's when we were told that, no, it wasn't a typo. It was that he had an affair with the king of Bythinia and liked to be on the receiving end. His troops thought it was so hilarious that they sent the title back to Rome and it stuck.

By using the second declension masculine, it would mark this as a proper name and add to the confusion that a native speaker would have, but someone with Latin as a second language might likely miss and therefore ask a concrete question to what the other Roman would regard as delirium.

Last edited:

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
but then it would no longer carry the meaning of born of the moon, nor would lunus mean the moon...

you can't just change gender and expect the word to have the same meaning, in fact, there are words that have different meanings in different genders, like animus (spirit) and anima (soul).

Last edited:

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I should be more specific--sorry. The scene I described takes place in a dream, which is being invaded and interpreted by the questioner/non-native speaker. The physical moon represents the boy in the dream (because of his name), which is why the dying man uses the word "moon" when he means to refer to the boy. He is not meant to be calling the boy by name, but definitely referring to him. It's supposed to be cryptic and weird, but carry meaning too. I may have made a bit of a problem for myself, though I hope that's not the case.

Last edited:

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
If you use the word natus then there won't be any confusion on the gender...
and it woudl be acceptable that a dying man omits the word natus and only says luna, triggering the misunderstanding.

If I understand your dilemma...

Spring

Little Miss Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
HI all -
I'll be on for longer tomorrow and will weigh in more then.
Some quick thoughts:
The command for return (I think the verb redire is fine) should be in the Jussive Subjunctive. Let him (the moon)...

And I'm not sure what I think of the masculine v feminine issue you're bringing up. Hmmm...There are a slew of masculine words--almost exclusively male jobs--which are designated in the first declension (a mostly feminine declension). Words like pirate, farmer, scribe, charioteer, etc. So I could see that there could indeed be this feminine name on a boy (Caligula? That's a feminine ending for that dude). I don't know.

Must run. I'll check in tomorrow with some Latin! :)

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
HI all -
Some quick thoughts:
The command for return (I think the verb redire is fine) should be in the Jussive Subjunctive. Let him (the moon)...

And I'm not sure what I think of the masculine v feminine issue you're bringing up. Hmmm...There are a slew of masculine words--almost exclusively male jobs--which are designated in the first declension (a mostly feminine declension). Words like pirate, farmer, scribe, charioteer, etc. So I could see that there could indeed be this feminine name on a boy (Caligula? That's a feminine ending for that dude). I don't know.

No, a command will use the imperative, as in my first translation: domum redi. However, depending on what the OP means, a subjunctive would be just fine -- though, they are both "exhortations", there's a fine shade between the two, and the imperative is usually stronger.

As for the name, you bring up an excellent point. In Italian we still have many masculine names that end in -a (Andrea, Nicola, etc). However, Caligula, like you point out, is masculine, while Luna is feminine. So, for example, you would say, Caligula albus est BUT Luna alba est, which is where the caveat arises.

If I understand the problem right though, the meaning of the boy's name is not just "Moon", it is "born of the moon", which could be something like Natus ex Luna and natus here would definitely be masculine. It could also be Filius Lunae as in son of the moon, where filius is again, masculine.

Last edited:

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
If I understand the problem right though, the meaning is not just "Moon", it is "born of the moon", which could be something like Natus ex Luna and Nat's here would definitely be masculine. It could also be Filius Lunae as in son of the moon, where filius is again, masculine.

In this case, I'm not sure saying "born of the moon" would work, as it is an actual, physical moon the interpreters are dealing with in the dream. Also, the misinterpretation that the dying man is delirious and thinks himself capable of commanding the moon when to set would not work with that wording. But your post is making me wonder whether it would be better to change "home" to "birthplace" in order to draw that connection a little better.

Last edited:

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
it's not fillies, it's FILIUS, I don't know why it came up that way in your quote...

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! :)

So then maybe you could use locus natalis for birthplace.
In your original query:
Locum tuum natalis redi == return to your place of birth.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
HI all -
Some quick thoughts:

True, although caligula was his nickname. His real name was Gaius. He got the nickname in Germany where his dad was stationed as the commanding general. He'd prance around in his little army uniform as a boy and the toops thought it was cute that this little tyke even had military boots or caliga, the diminutive of which was caligula. That said, it doesn't refute you at all since that too is a feminine first declension noun.

Spring

Little Miss Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Again, I would use the Jussive Subjunctive. It makes the most sense for what you're trying to say, in my humble opinion.

Redeat Luna domum.

The other sentence could read quite well as a previous poster stated: Ubi luna vivit? Or you could do: Ubi luna habitat? That means more like Where does the moon dwell. Not quite the same, but similar.

Good luck.
I'll let the others continue with the shades of gray and all the possibilities. Enjoy!

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
They are both correct, but if you use the imperative you are giving a "strict" command, as for example a dominus to his servant, he wouldn't use the subjunctive, he'd use the imperative; if however you want to be more formal and give an exhortation rather than a command, then you use the subjunctive. See the difference?

Last edited: