New X-Com Game Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That's like Shakespeare agreeing to do an MTV reality show.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be estatic if it were the Bioshock crew working on the game, but this is the Bioshock 2 people. BIoshock 2 was...okay, but...it was no Bioshock 1!

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
They say they 'don't simply want to remake X-COM'. The obvious rebuttal is: Why the fuck not?
Because, y'know, what gamers really want from a game isn't the gameplay it's the franchise! Also, different is always better, like the new Windows 7 start menu.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
True, who am I to second-guess my corporate overlords? :D

Now I must make my daily sacrifices to the new W7 hotbar before Bill Gates sends the suits to my house again.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
They're just trying to make money off the name since game-wise, FPS's are the hottest commodity right now.

Going in with that attitude, I think it's obvious this game is gonna suck.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

As usual, Nerf Now has it on the nose.

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
I'll play it. Although I still have my copy of Interceptor, and as such am not to be trusted.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
The more I think about it, the less happy this makes me, and I was already unhappy about it. What made the game great was the tactics part.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love a kind of first person tactical game, a real hardcore Rainbow 7 meets aliens...or maybe something more like Space Hulk, the old DOS game?

That'd be a great first person "shooter" version of X-Com.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's been bandied about quite a bit in the last couple of days on a few gaming forums I frequent (*cough*catwaxing*cough*). Something in the Rainbow meets X-COM would be pretty spiff. Going down to the squad level where you're the guys being sent would be viable for the IP and not anger us hardcore nerds TOO much.

Still, for the old-school fix this seems to be what we need: http://www.xenonauts.com/

Scheduled release by Xmas 2010. We shall see.

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
What made the game great was the tactics part.

Did noone else like the strategic part? Tactical battles were fun but what I really loved was the research, the base building, management, training, and all the stuff that contributed to building and exploring the story. Noone else got a kick out of that difficullty/complexity curve? The feeling of scrambling to catch up with a superior enemy? And all that's still there - AFAIK anyway.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I did indeed enjoy that aspect. I felt that was one of the things missing from Apocalypse, in truth, though I enjoyed Apocalypse quite a bit.

In the end, we'll see what they do with it (because there's really no choice is there?), and it'll pass or fail. I just don't think slapping X-COM on the box is going to help them as much as they believe.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The thing that irritates me is that I'm sure they have a good idea for an FPS that can be a FINE and possibly even GREAT first person shooter that does its own thing, gets its own fans, and generally does what...

But by slapping X-Com on this, they're not only pissing off all the old fans, but they're going to mystify all the new people. I mean, what the hell!?

This makes NO sense! If you want to pander to old fans, make a game that is at least SOMEWHAT similar to the game they love. If you want to do something new, do something new!

WHAT THE ASS!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, even if it was about the money, how exactly are they going to increase their profits by pissing off thousands of fans and confusing anyone who has no idea what X-Com is? At best, they're not going to alter new people buying it while old people don't buy it...while at worst, new people are going to go "X-Com? That's that old game! We want NEW games!"

And then they will begin to riot and blood will flow in the streets for days on end.

That being the worst possible outcome.

Either way, its just a bad decision from an artistic and a buisness stand point.

At least, from my point of view.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Because people who don't know what X-COM refers to won't base their purchasing decisions on it. Of those who do know, some will buy the game out of curiosity to see if it's as good as UFO Defense. In other words, X-COM may not help, but it won't hurt. Branding is an old marketing trick, and I'm not aware of many cases in which it has backfired.

Status
Not open for further replies.