Fuck.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/108/1083689p1.html

Izz
04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Damn.

whistlelock
04-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Well, that sucks.

Oh well. Hopefully they'll actually put some effort into the story.

brokenfingers
04-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Wow. That's like Shakespeare agreeing to do an MTV reality show.

Zoombie
04-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I'd be estatic if it were the Bioshock crew working on the game, but this is the Bioshock 2 people. BIoshock 2 was...okay, but...it was no Bioshock 1!

efkelley
04-15-2010, 02:07 AM
They say they 'don't simply want to remake X-COM'. The obvious rebuttal is: Why the fuck not?

Morons.

In other news, try this for your X-COM fix: http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/

Lhun
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
They say they 'don't simply want to remake X-COM'. The obvious rebuttal is: Why the fuck not?Because, y'know, what gamers really want from a game isn't the gameplay it's the franchise! Also, different is always better, like the new Windows 7 start menu.

efkelley
04-16-2010, 12:35 AM
True, who am I to second-guess my corporate overlords? :D

Now I must make my daily sacrifices to the new W7 hotbar before Bill Gates sends the suits to my house again.

brokenfingers
04-16-2010, 12:45 AM
They're just trying to make money off the name since game-wise, FPS's are the hottest commodity right now.

Going in with that attitude, I think it's obvious this game is gonna suck.

SPMiller
04-16-2010, 01:14 AM
An FPS? Oh, no.

Bioshock succeeded because it was a straight remake of SS2.

Zoombie
04-16-2010, 04:38 AM
http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/image/283

As usual, Nerf Now has it on the nose.

efkelley
04-16-2010, 04:45 AM
As usual, Nerf Now has it on the nose.

Uhh... Zoomers? That's not his nose... :ROFL:

whistlelock
04-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Either way, the got it square on.

DoomBunny
04-16-2010, 04:39 PM
I'll play it. Although I still have my copy of Interceptor, and as such am not to be trusted.

SPMiller
04-17-2010, 04:43 AM
The more I think about it, the less happy this makes me, and I was already unhappy about it. What made the game great was the tactics part.

Zoombie
04-17-2010, 04:45 AM
I'd love a kind of first person tactical game, a real hardcore Rainbow 7 meets aliens...or maybe something more like Space Hulk, the old DOS game?

That'd be a great first person "shooter" version of X-Com.

efkelley
04-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that's been bandied about quite a bit in the last couple of days on a few gaming forums I frequent (*cough*catwaxing*cough*). Something in the Rainbow meets X-COM would be pretty spiff. Going down to the squad level where you're the guys being sent would be viable for the IP and not anger us hardcore nerds TOO much.

Still, for the old-school fix this seems to be what we need: http://www.xenonauts.com/

Scheduled release by Xmas 2010. We shall see.

Zoombie
04-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you indi-developers!

DoomBunny
04-17-2010, 03:51 PM
What made the game great was the tactics part.

Did noone else like the strategic part? Tactical battles were fun but what I really loved was the research, the base building, management, training, and all the stuff that contributed to building and exploring the story. Noone else got a kick out of that difficullty/complexity curve? The feeling of scrambling to catch up with a superior enemy? And all that's still there - AFAIK anyway.

efkelley
04-18-2010, 03:10 AM
I did indeed enjoy that aspect. I felt that was one of the things missing from Apocalypse, in truth, though I enjoyed Apocalypse quite a bit.

In the end, we'll see what they do with it (because there's really no choice is there?), and it'll pass or fail. I just don't think slapping X-COM on the box is going to help them as much as they believe.

Zoombie
04-18-2010, 07:42 AM
The thing that irritates me is that I'm sure they have a good idea for an FPS that can be a FINE and possibly even GREAT first person shooter that does its own thing, gets its own fans, and generally does what...

But by slapping X-Com on this, they're not only pissing off all the old fans, but they're going to mystify all the new people. I mean, what the hell!?

This makes NO sense! If you want to pander to old fans, make a game that is at least SOMEWHAT similar to the game they love. If you want to do something new, do something new!

WHAT THE ASS!

SPMiller
04-18-2010, 07:49 AM
It's all about money. Everything always is.

Zoombie
04-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Well, even if it was about the money, how exactly are they going to increase their profits by pissing off thousands of fans and confusing anyone who has no idea what X-Com is? At best, they're not going to alter new people buying it while old people don't buy it...while at worst, new people are going to go "X-Com? That's that old game! We want NEW games!"

And then they will begin to riot and blood will flow in the streets for days on end.

That being the worst possible outcome.

Either way, its just a bad decision from an artistic and a buisness stand point.

At least, from my point of view.

SPMiller
04-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Because people who don't know what X-COM refers to won't base their purchasing decisions on it. Of those who do know, some will buy the game out of curiosity to see if it's as good as UFO Defense. In other words, X-COM may not help, but it won't hurt. Branding is an old marketing trick, and I'm not aware of many cases in which it has backfired.

Zoombie
04-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Well, I refuse to buy it unless it's any good.

DoomBunny
04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
I found out today that 2K Marin isn't just 2K Marin - 2K Australia, for some strange reason, has been renamed 2K Marin Australian Branch. No, really. And they're doing this one.

The point is, these are not the Bioshock guys, (although they did some work on both 1 and 2) but they are the Tribes: Vengeance guys. Some of them are also friends of mine. :D

No call yet on whether or not Ken Levine (System Shock 1/2, assorted Thief games, T: V, Bioshock 1) is writing, but if he is this should be schweet.

Zoombie
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
I actually kind of liked the central idea of a spoiled princess forced into a new and dangerous kind of life. But then it did a time cut forward and it lost me.

I don't like time cuts that get me away from characters I like to characters I don't care about and don't know.

It irritates me!

Also, I got UFO Extraterrestrial: Gold and I'm not very happy with it...

DoomBunny
04-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it did jump around some. :D I remember talking to an artist friend working on T: V, apparently the story updates were somewhat... vexing.

Zoombie
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Gargh. If I had been writing it, I'd have stuck with the first story and told it sequentially, because it was...shockingly engaging. Fish out of water stories, plus main characters that start out as spoiled brats and end up as...real people are really compelling for me.

Also, more games need rocket packs built into their power armor.

The only modern games I can think of that have rocket packs in the armor is Dark Void - which was mediocre - and Global Agenda - which has that really irritating 'pew pew pew' effect.

What is the 'pew pew pew' effect?

It is when you have an energy weapon and give it a crappy sound effect. Bullets tend to have better sound effects, though we can have crappy sound effects for them as well, but it is more irritating to me when we're dealing with energy weapons.

We all know that bullets have weight and do damage. But when a ball of green lightning hits something, it just...kinda hits it. We need a sound effect and a visual effect to show us and demonstrate to us the power of this attack. A whimpy pew pew and a small flash of light makes it feel disconnected and weak, and thus removes the impact of...the impact.

A good example of an energy weapon would be the underslung sphere launcher on the Combine assault rifle from Half-Life 2. A bad example would be the whimpy piffle piffle of a Covenent plasma assault rifle.

Devs! Story and sound are the bastard black sheep of all video games. Please start paying more attention to them!

DoomBunny
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Rocket packs are cool. I remember getting up at six in the morning to play the original Tribes online. 32-player multiplayer... mmm.

The rest of the T: V story was pretty impressive if you could sit through the jumps. It has some neat homages to the old Earthsiege games with which they share a universe.

We're in agreement on all your weapon points. I love the classic Doom BFG fx, nice and meaty. Also, anything in System Shock 2 - if you like atmospheric sound, play it. Hybrid muttering still creeps me out.

If the father of X-Com's bastard lovechild turns out to be even remotely Shock-y, I won't be able to shut up about it. Mmm, Shock-y.

Zoombie
06-11-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNlC19Vcvrw&feature=player_embedded

Executive one: Durrr, lets make bioshock 2
Executive 2: Durrr, but we don'ts own the rights to that...

Mara
06-11-2010, 11:54 PM
I missed this thread the first time around, but on the original topic of X-Com FPS:

*facepalm*

Maybe Doom IV will be a turn-based strategy game.

cethklein
06-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Looks like they're going to ruin antoher game like they did with the new Wing Commander and they're going to do with that new Ulrima game. And EA wonders how they got such a nasty reputation in the gaming industry. When you turn out pounds of shovelware and slap the names of once famous franchises on it, it's a double whammy that will only blow up in their faces.