PDA

View Full Version : YA agents

VictorianMess
04-14-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm at my wits ends. It seems no matter who I send my query to it always comes back as a no. Been looking for about a year now and starting to feel really down about the whole thing

I have let some people read my novel and they say it's good, has a good plot, good character development and so on. I think I've sent over 50 letters by now. All but MockNick said no. I said no to him.

It's a 200 page, 61,ooo supernatural YA. I thought supernaturals and YAs were big right now. Guess not.

Is e-publishing better? I really don't want to wait ten or so years to get published. Any ideas?

Kilawher
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
It might be your query letter that's the problem. Fortunately Query Letter Hell can help you with that (if you've got the stomach). Check out the Share Your Work forum - the password is vista :) And welcome to AW!

Smish
04-14-2010, 07:12 AM
I'm at my wits ends. It seems no matter who I send my query to it always comes back as a no. Been looking for about a year now and starting to feel really down about the whole thing

I have let some people read my novel and they say it's good, has a good plot, good character development and so on. I think I've sent over 50 letters by now. All but MockNick said no. I said no to him.

It's a 200 page, 61,ooo supernatural YA. I thought supernaturals and YAs were big right now. Guess not.

Is e-publishing better? I really don't want to wait ten or so years to get published. Any ideas?

If you're getting so many rejections based on a query alone, the query isn't working. That doesn't necessarily mean your book is awful.

We have a section at Absolute Write dedicated to query letters. It's called Query Letter Hell and is in the Share Your Work section.

Good luck!

Mystic Blossom
04-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Here's the unfortunate and harsh news: It can take way, way more than 50 rejections to get that yes, and it can indeed take 10 years to find a publisher. I've been writing since I was sixteen, for six years. I've amassed at least 100 rejections since then, and the only yesses have been from magazines.

A few people saying the work is "good," sadly, is not a guarantee of everything. Have more people read it. Keep moving. You can do this. You just need to know, if you don't already, that it absolutely takes the patience of a saint.

Don't just take another look at your book, either. Have you had your query letter critiqued? That's your foot in the door.

VictorianMess
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks. I know that just because a few people say its good doesn't mean it is and so on. I had changed my letter twice but I think I shall go post it and see if anyone can help me fix it. Thanks

inkspatters
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
First, odds are there's something wrong with that query. You've already been referred over to Query Letter Hell -- go. Seriously, that place saved my queries from being absolute messes.

Next, if you've been sending query letters with sample pages, then they may need to be looked at too. Find someone to read that novel who isn't a family member or friend or teen you know. Why? Because people who like you will LIE to you, or sometimes, even if they're honest they just don't know that much about writing. Post your first 1000 words or so in YA SYW. There're a helpful bunch of critters in there who will tell you whether you're on the right track or not.

Finally, start writing a new book. If the first one doesn't pan out you'll have something newer, and better, to query.

Good luck!

ETA: Glad to see you're going to post your query :D

kaitiepaige17
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Yep, like they said it's probably the query. Remember to keep it short and above all very interesting. Look at query letter hell!!! Helped me very much :)

MsJudy
04-15-2010, 06:23 AM
I've wanted to be a writer since I was six. I remember sitting on the couch listening to my dad read The Phantom Toolbooth and thinking, I want to do that someday. Put words today and have it be magic.

40 years later, I'm still working on it.

You don't want to wait 10 years to be published? Tough s***. It will take as long as it takes, and you may have to write a lot of books before one is good enough. Not just good, but good enough.

If you aren't willing to stick with it for as long as you need to, then...well, that's okay. Less competition for the rest of us!