Your advice is appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have two screenplays that I personally feel are very strong, with great potential, but for which I have had no significant success finding representation. I rarely get past the query stage; usaully, I don't ever hear back. I'll give you a little idea about them, and perhaps, if anyone knows any agencies would look at these sorts of things, I'd be eternally grateful.

The first one is a supernatural bio-pic entitled, Aleister Crowley, about the legendary turn-of-the-last-century English occultist, mystic, mountaineer, drug-addict and rogue whose exploits scandalized Victorian society.

The second is a sci-fi/fantasy screenplay for animation, which could, in my own humble opinion become a major blockbuster.

Does anyone have any leads on agencies that might be interested in these types of projects. My Crowley screenplay has been in the hands of a major agency (who requested to read it) for four months, so, I'm thinking they aren't interested.

Thanks,

Diana

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
your opinion....

yes, your opinion is important. everybody thinks they have the next best thing but, to be brutally honest this is obviously not true. your idea must hit with many many people. you can utilize the free advice that is all over the screenwriting sites. you can post pages here and other places or your entire script on some sites. you can also pay for a script consultant to give you detailed and professional feedback. but, i suggest you do this after you've gotten all the free advice you can get. your choice. you must be thick skinned to go through that process.

what you've posted here is not enough information. it should be in either a logline or short or long synopsis form. if you think what you posted is a logline then you need to work on it a bit.

what you posted here has a few redflags: sci fi and animation (and your is both) by new writers is difficult b/c the cost of production is much more expensive. and the other is a period piece in the other direction. only a select handful of production companies will take period pieces too.

btw - if a company has been reading your script for 4 months then it could be a good sign. it could mean that they're passing it around from one reader to the next level up, and so on..... it could also mean that it's collecting dust or has been thrown in the trash. call them just to inquire about the status of it. they will tell you if they're still reading it or not. if they are then ask them when you should call back. and put that callback date on your calender.

Chesher Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshercat.com
Agencies/agents don't look for specific types of material - they look for stuff that they can sell and/or is so well-written it will garner meetings for the writer and result in assignment work.

You may want to research production companies for ones that have done similar projects and query them. Hollywood Creative Directories have books that list all the production companies, with what they've done.

You can find them here: http://www.hcdonline.com/

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i'm curious about what happens with the crowley thing. for a long time i thought nicolo paginini (been so long i forgot how to spell his name correctly) would make a great movie. 'cinderella man' is not set in the present day. (aye, i realize 'period piece' more refers to, say, a victorian setting in a populist view: does the definition exclude anything not in the present day? say, 'boogie nights.' is that a 'period piece'?) also, 'cold mountain' was an excellent movie. if we start with 'amadeus,' there have been plenty of movies set in the past which could be considered 'true' period pieces. plenty, if not most, have been based on real people, such as 'quills.' although their historical veracity is questionable (remember maximus riding a horse with stirrups?), these movies still get made as far as i see. but, still, i've read where getting them made is difficult.

'braveheart' a period piece? then you have to say 'troy' and 'alexander' are, too, no? maybe they're 'period pieces' when they fail, like 'restoration,' and action-adventure when they hit big like 'braveheart,' lol.

not to say they actually make these movies above any others or that often, but if it's well-written, i don't see why they wouldn't option it. my major concern would be how many other people wrote about crowley, too: he's *somewhat* an obscure figure, but not totally out there, either. i think he's a great character, so do you, apparently, so did ozzy osbourne when he sang about him, so did jimmy page when he bought his estate, and, i'm guessing, so has a few other screenwriters.

it raises the question in my mind about how long you should wait before inquiring about your script. four months long enough?

seems at least one major period piece gets released a year. i could make a fairly long list. most of them are dramas and what i take as a studio's 'prestige movie' released late in the year to make the oscars. not always, but sometimes. i think the notion of crowley has as good a chance as any other period piece. good luck and keep us informed as i'm curious what happens with it.

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Too many Scientologists in Hollywood to get the Crowley film ever made. They'd have to admit that a lot of the BS their cult follows came from when Hubbard spent time studying with Crowley (although, it is more likely that Hubbard read some of Crowley's books and then pestered him like a child, never actually gaining validation. Indeed, Crowley thought Hubbard was an idiot).

;)

(I'm kidding, of course.)

(Well, sort of)

Last edited:

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
period flicks

almost all period dramas are adaptations from novels

also if you have an a-list actor (or director like Spielberg and Sci Fi flicks) in your camp and championing your period drama then you can't lose - ie - Braveheart/Mel Gibson

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
Was there a question about

what makes it a period piece?

I'd like to take a stab at that.

Anything that is set in a time period when dated props would need to be used is a period peice.

With the way technology is changing so fast that gap is getting narrower and narrower by the day.

If your script takes place before cell phones, SUV's, and low rider jeans then it is a period peice.

The best thing for you to do Diana is research, research, research the type of people who have an interest in these types of stories.
Actors who maybe share your feelings for the history of it, or studios who are looking for these types of stories.
You could also enter them in contests and see if that takes you anywhere.

Keep on your agent, let them know you are really watching what happens to your scripts and determined to move them along. Don't be rude or a pain in the butt but ask every couple of weeks about them and their status.
This way it keeps YOU work in front of his/her mind.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. I really do appreciate it. It's likely that I will novelize my sci-fi animation screenplay, and attack the story from that direction. As far as Crowley goes, I'll keep at it. Here's a better description of the screenplay.

Aleister Crowley was guided by one simple credo: "Do What Thou Wilt shall be the Whole of the Law." The story of Crowley’s life unfolds as a young writer, Pamela Hawke, does research for a magazine profile story in 1940's London. Pamela systematically tracks down old friends and enemies of the man the British press called "The Wickedest Man in the World," and his life is portrayed through their recollections. From wealthy young student of the occult, to penniless drug-addicted old sorcerer and rogue, Crowley traveled the world in search of spiritual truth and physical ecstasy. His insatiable appetites and mystical ambitions led him from the Highlands of Scotland, to the Himalaya Mountains, to the Pyramids of Egypt, and cost him everything he ever loved. As Pamela’s researches progress, she is drawn deeper and deeper into Crowley’s dark occult world. The screenplay climaxes with Pamela’s meeting with "The Great Beast" himself (as Crowley liked to be known) in the last years of his life, and her seduction to his strange charisma.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
sounds interesting. and tough to write. at once it dredges up recollections of 'chaplin' and 'queen of the damned. it's easier to see why those movies were made. i mean, charlie chaplin, a legend, and seemingly a sure-fire hit based on popular novels written by another legendary person, anne rice.

i'd like to see the story, myself. along with the obvious drawbacks (or not so obvious, i guess) is trying to make crowley an endearing character, or at least one audiences will embrace. it may be difficult to show him in a good light. is that why you added the reporter, to counter-balance crowley's profane character? if so, i'm not suggesting that's poor writing, but in itself is fairly obvious and, personally, i'd handle with kid gloves as some characters can be 'mary sues' here. i otherwise love it when characters like this meet: i've written stuff like that, albeit generally in a horror genre and involving ghosts, lol. even then, it's not bad by any means, i don't want to mislead you, just that it tends to happen when your character is virtually a villian at least to some degree. if i recall, 'quills' was similar in that respect, too, the kate winslow character acting as the much needed relief from the MC's unsanity.

telling the tale from different points of view reminds me of 'immortal beloved,' the flick about beethoven. oh, don't get me wrong, i'm not implying yours isn't an original script in how the story is told, just that those are some movies that on the surface have the same storytelling methods you suggest and you might want to check 'em out if you haven't seen them already. to be honest, these movies tend to be a chore to watch, but if you're going to write in that vein, it's good to see where those movies went wrong and what worked, eh?

i am a little confused when you say pamela meets him at the climax, then say there's a seduction, which implies there's a lot more story to be told after the climax.

i really like the idea of crowley's story being told from different perspectives. the problem there, i think, might be getting permission from the families of all those people, all of whom will want to be paid, i'm sure. i don't know if it would help its saleability, but fictionalizing those characters may be something to consider? beyond that, there's some different arrangement methods you could use if you felt the need to explore them, which i'm sure you realize. i think it's good and bad to ignore an interview with crowley: it sounds like a fun challenge by including him in the present.

i don't know why some people think every historic person deserves their own movie. certainly, 'immortal beloved' had a brilliant premise, but following the supposedly historic record of the man i don't think served the movie as well as had it been fictionalized and freeing the story up to be, you know, entertaining. same thing with e. a. poe: brilliant writer, a morbid life story, sure, but is that enough to put people in a theatre? what' funny is when they abandon some historical veracity and *still* make it boring.

it sucks to say, but i'm afraid the audience is pretty limited for most of these stories. that's why i think crowley should be made, but made with a keen eye towards entertaining along with insight to the character, even if that insight is a bit guessed at for storytelling purposes. anyone ever see 'pollock'? me, neither. another bio that bit the dust.

these bios seem tough to make work unless you just say the hell with it and go the 'young guns' route (which actually contained quite a bit of historical accuracy in terms of the events that took place, even if those events were tarted up a bit, i.e. a lot). here, you're trying to tell fictional historically accurate bio. ah... hell, yeah, sounds good to me. :) don't write yourself into a corner and it should be a lot of fun to do. as you expressed the summary here, the climax is too vague to comment on really.

did ever crowley say 'do what thou wilt, so mete it be'? that's the quote i've used many a time. :)

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
Crowley seems like an interesting subject. It has controversy and potential for great drama. I would get Ozzy to do the score or at lest have the orchestrated score based on his song of the same name.

Also, it may be interesting to write about another dubious character, Anton LaVey. As the founder of the satanist church in the US and wrote the Satanic Bible, he could be an interesting story, with Rosemary's Baby (he made a guest shot as Satan in the film), the 60's drug culture, fame among the rich and famous (Jane Mansfield was a follower and rumored lover). But with Anton or Crowley it will be important how you portray them. Protagonist, Antagonist, misunderstood, evil. A slant in the wrong direction and you could turn off many people. Look at the Hitler films which portrayed him differently than we "expected." One was made by Germans and the other, although critically acclaim, bombed.

Paganini is interesting too. An Eddy Van Halen of his time. A friend of mine, Gary Miner, wrote a bio script on his life and it won at Slamdance and other comps a few years ago. However, no interest from producers and very few read requests. Your story may be better, but the subject matter is not one that is hot to trot for many producers.

The bottom line when it comes to period pieces, is love. A producer must love it, must love the concept/subject more than the story itself. Cinderella Man seems like an unlikely subject especially since they're more famous boxers out there, but Ron Howard loved the guy and as such loved the script and as such made the film.

Most bio pics come out of a biography or novel which someone read and fell in love with, bought the rights and went to town.

Getting someone to fall in love with your Crowley or Paganini will be the toughest nut to crack, regardless of how well or compelling your script is. Got to sell the man as well as your story.

Period pieces are a tough nut to crack.

The best period pieces in my book are timeless. If the "dressing" was taken out is would still work if set today. That I believe that is the formula for success when it comes to period pieces.

Good luck. I personally would like to see a Crowley film if presented as a man and used the "absolute power corrupts" analogy. Show his downfall or the events that led to his shift to the dark side-- so to speak. Kinda a Leaving Las Vegas for Occultists.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
'timeless', like the love theme in 'shakespeare in love'? problem here is there's seems little outlet for a love angle that's based on anything 'pure.'

like JC said, paganini is a great character. to make him a likeable character, one would have to seriously play fast and loose with how he probably really was.

write it up anyway. maybe someone will fall in love with it, you never know. really, what i think it amounts to with a lot of studios is the cost of the movie. just assuming there, don't take my word for it. 'period piece', at least to me, suggests a certain level of detail and, ah, extravagance of production. it also means 'drama' to me. old time cars and clothes are easier to make and/or get a hold of than building french carriages and detailed clothing of nobility, eh?

when they're done well, though, you've got an oscar contender. i think what JC said about making the story pertinent for modern audiences using the right themes (okay, i'm paraphrasing greatly) will be the important thing. take a chance, roll them bones. if you come up craps, oh well, odds are that's going to happen to the vast majority of us here anyway. i'd rather die having written a kick-asss script than my grandchildren opening up the trunk in the attic one day and reading 'hotdog III' and be like, 'what was grandpa smoking when he wrote this crap?'

or write that horror parody first. :) (oh, wait, that's my idea.)

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
good luck

i think the novelization of your sci fi animation story is the wrong way to go. you should turn it into comic book or atleast an animated novel (or is this what you meant?). it would be costly but, if it was published then you could easily find someone interested. many believe that if a publisher found it worthy of publication then they might take the risk of turning it into a movie.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again!

Crowley was such a hard character to grab hold of. He was a more decent human being when he was younger, but later on, he certainly couldn't be embraced as hero. That's why I use Pamela, a talented reporter, whose curiousity draws her deeper and deeper into Crowley's world. Her personal life starts to fall to pieces the further and further she delves into Crowley'. She's the true hero of the screenplay, and her descent into the darkness of occultism mirrors Crowley's fall into shadow. As far as using different POV's to tell Crowley's tale, I was inspired by Immortal Beloved, but more so by JFK, to be honest.

By coincidence the agency who had the script for four months got back to me yesterday..."despite the project's merits, we do not feel passionate enough about it to take on a new client..." Ah, but that's the biz...

Now, regarding my sci-fi/fantasy script, I had originally envisioned it as a novel, but for some reason when it came time to write it, it ended up as a screenplay. Although, I'm intrigued by the idea of a graphic novel, the screenplay is probably too family friendly to endure that sort of treatment. And, I don't know any artists. It'll probably end up as YA novel somewhere down the road.

Thanks again, anyone who replied. I really appreciate it.

Diana

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
here's $50,000 to produce that......

comic book/graphic novel
but you must enter and you must win ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Expo 4 Screenplay Competition
4-Day Extension
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]

[font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our new online application process created problems for a few writers, so we are extending the application deadline for everyone.

You have until the end of Friday, August 26, to enter the Expo 4 Screenplay Competition and compete for $80,000 in prizes plus an unprecedented $50,000 Comic Book and Graphic Novel Production deal with Dabel Brother Production (DB Pro).

Prizes include:
$16,000 Grand Prize
6 $1,600 Genre Prizes
2 Entries into Writers Boot Camp's $7,500 22-month Think Tank
$50,000-Production Deal with comic book studio Dabel Brothers Pro
Top 20 writers will receive thousands in prizes plus access to over 200 companies

And just because you didn't write a super hero script doesn't mean that you won't be competing for the DB Pro Prize, a $50,000-Production Deal. DB Pro will be considering scripts in the following genres: horror, sci- fi, action-adventure, thrillers, fantasy, animation and possibly dramas.

Entries must be postmarked or uploaded by Friday, 8/26.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
damn, that sucks about being rejected, sorry to hear that. but, it's not an indictment of you or your work, just that it might not fit into what they want right now. 'not passionate enough'... what does that mean? well, don't read too much into that.

i caught the last half of 'a tale of two cities,' the '35 movie with basil rathbone. it reminds me of what's key: great characters, great plots with lots of dramatic elements that are NOT soap opera-ish, universal themes (despite my adherance/practical aversion to 'themes' in fiction, i think that by virtue of having to tell a much more concise story, 'themes' are worth serious consideration. other things, too, all add to a depth that gives the story brilliance.

that's why i'm going to start keeping a notepad by my remotes (currently there are four remotes hidden in my couch cushions just to be able to watch a movie), and i'll write down mostly plots i think are great. then steal them. yes, i said steal. no sugar coating there, outright theft will be the only way because i'm just not that good of a writer. theft is the hallmark of most great writers, no? lol.

i hope you don't lose hope on the period piece. i can only imagine how one can feel their hopes are dashed on it if they thought the script was bandied about for four months. is it wrong to ask them politely what would make them passionate about it? i'd hate to see it fall by the wayside for lack of a certain 'oomph' factor that's easily corrected.

Chesher Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshercat.com
Diana Hignutt said:
By coincidence the agency who had the script for four months got back to me yesterday..."despite the project's merits, we do not feel passionate enough about it to take on a new client..." Ah, but that's the biz...

Diana

Forget about an agent for this project. Check the HCD for producers who have done this type of project and query them with your logline/short synopsis. Then you might get an option. You should also try to get in touch with directors (one's that can get a movie made) that would be interested in your subject matter. Too bad Jimmy Page isn't a director - although you might approach him as a producer.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
you never know, page may be keen on it. he'd probably even do the score. :) just don't plan on the score being complete when the movie is as he's been known to be a little lax in that regard. the problem with page would be he's so close to the subject matter he'd probably want to do the whole cheesy 'the song remains the same' treatment, all full of mystical crapola.

do you have your script posted anywhere? i'd be curious to look at it.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
preyer said:
you never know, page may be keen on it. he'd probably even do the score. :) just don't plan on the score being complete when the movie is as he's been known to be a little lax in that regard. the problem with page would be he's so close to the subject matter he'd probably want to do the whole cheesy 'the song remains the same' treatment, all full of mystical crapola.

do you have your script posted anywhere? i'd be curious to look at it.

Gosh, and I'm such a Zep fan too.

No, I haven't posted it the script anywhere. I guess I could do that, if I knew how or where to do that (I guess we have a place to do it here, huh). In the meantime, anyone can PM me with an email addy and I'll send it to you to look at, no prob.

Diana

Status
Not open for further replies.