How long should I wait?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Here's the deal: in early March, I had an email from a small American publisher who said they were interested in publishing one of my books. Since then, I've been contacting agents in the UK and a few in the States. I've had a few of the standard 'not taking on anyone' replies, a few 'no fantasy for us', and some haven't replied at all. One (in London) requested the whole MS after reading the first three chapters which is of course very cool although I was privately hoping for a little more interest than I got.

The thing is, I'm now thinking how long I should wait before figuring agents aren't interested either because it's a small publisher or because they don't like my stuff - and how long I should wait before I get back to the publisher to see if they have any updated news for me.

Any thoughts?

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
I wouldn't wait around for the agent, though I would conitue searching for one. I would want to know if the small publisher was still interested and if so see what the required from me to continue the process of gettting the book in print. Have you checked out the firm? Just a thought for it would be the first thing I would have done.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm still looking for agents mainly in the UK but am also thinking about getting back to the publisher. As far as I can see, they're legit but small.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
3 months is a pretty standard waiting period for an agent with a full, unless they gave a specific commitment to get back to you within a certain time.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Do you have the money to get an attorney versed in literary contracts? It might be that the US publisher is too small (is the advance and royalties worth it for the agent?) for an agent to want to rep you.

Money? What's that? :D

I have wondered if the money involved would be too small to interest an agent. It's only been five weeks for the agent who requested my MS and while I obviously didn't expect a particularly quick reply, I'm getting a little doubtful any agent would be/is interested.

Danthia

There's been a LOT going on in the publishing world lately, with Bologna Book Fair and all the hassles over the iPad/Amazon and ebook rights. Agents are very involved in those, so it would make sense if things are slower right now as far as submissions are concerned.