Poland: Tragedy upon tragedy

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those who have not heard, Poland's Presidential plane crashed on Saturday morning, killing everyone on board. (CNN) (LATimes) There are conflicting numbers, but among those dead are 88 of Poland's leaders, including the president and his wife.

The plane was taking these people to Smolensk, in western Russia, to a ceremony for the Katyn massacre during WWII. The divide between Poland and Russia has only just begun to heal over this, and it may be that this tragedy helps the countries overcome the past. Regardless, it is a deep blow to Poland and nations around the world.

I admit I don't typically follow the news, but as a Polish American I have been reading many of the articles about the incident this weekend. I have been overwhelmed by the response of world leaders, including the country of Georgia. (I can not find the video of the President of Georgia's emotional speech again. If anyone has it, link please. It was up last night somewhere.)

Many countries have declared a day of mourning, and Poland has a week of mourning to help cope with this loss.

I know what a wonderfully supportive community AW is. I know eastern Europe is sometimes overlooked in the news, but now all eyes are on Poland. I ask two things of you, one or the other, or both.

Follow the news on this event and the aftermath. There has already been a great effect on the world and I'd like more people to be aware of what is happening (says the person who rarely follows the news).

Show support for Poland this week. If you can do so in your community, all the better. But if you wish to show your support in this online community, you might add a black ribbon to your avatar or put the Polish flag, eagle, or some other symbol in your av or sig.

Cheers,
Fenika (derived from Feniks, Polish for Phoenix, a fitting symbol for Poland's rise over tragedy).

FreeWhistler

Cookie monster
Registered
Reaction score
I was strangely crushed when I heard the news. Normally my Polish heritage doesn't have much of an effect on me. I was 12.5% Polish on Friday, but yesterday I became Polish 100%. Poland is in my prayers.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I'm not Polish, but was also affected by hearing this news. My thoughts are with the Polish people. As terrible as this tragedy is, perhaps it will result in Poland receiving further aid and support from other nations. I know the country has many problems, and I hope something good can ultimately come of this disaster.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you folks, and well said.

This made me tear up:
Back in Russia, relatives of those killed in the crash were arriving in Moscow to identify bodies. The Russian government, which had taken pains to avoid alienating Poland in its handling of the crash, announced that hotel rooms and grief counselors would be waiting for the bereaved Poles.
Source

Last edited:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
That's horrible! I can't believe all those people died. My love goes out to those poor people of Poland :(

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Very sorry to read this, Fenika. Prayers to everyone involved. May they R.I.P. and hope something good will come of the tragedy.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'm part Hunkie,
and
born a West Virginian,...

I'm all out of tears. =(

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Kelly, and to everyone else.

From the LA Times:
In downtown Moscow, hundreds of people took part in a Mass to honor those killed in the crash.

"Let's hope that the blood of Poland's president and other innocent victims of that flight will now bring our peoples close again," said Viktor Skvortsov, a 52-year-old Russian teacher who attended the Mass.

There has been talk of whether the crash would worsen the long-strained relations between the two countries. Moscow, in particular, has sounded distinctly nervous about appearing too opaque or callous in the investigation.

But in the streets of Warsaw, there was little evident animosity toward Russia. On the contrary -- many Poles said the Russian reaction to the crash had been compassionate and comforting.

When Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk finished praying at the crash site Saturday night, Putin hugged him, some mourners pointed out. Others said they approved of the emotional condolences offered by Russian officials.

"I think it had a great effect on Russians and their feelings toward us," said Kristina Kwiatek, a psychologist who joined the throngs placing flowers and lighting candles outside the presidential palace. "What happened touched the Russian hearts."

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I read the news online at work the other night, and was totally in shock.

The people of Poland have my prayers and the prayers of all in my church. For a nation to lose so many leaders at once is devastating. I'm glad the international community has pulled together to respond to this.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More :Hug2:

And more news clips:
Mikhail Gorbachev only admitted Soviet responsibility in 1990. President Kaczynski took a tough line towards Russia and its historical responsibilities. Perhaps that is why Moscow did not invite him to take part in the first joint commemoration, held by Mr Putin and Mr Tusk at the Katyn cemetery just three days before the crash.

That event was viewed by many in Poland as a significant step on the road to improved relations that Mr Tusk's government has been pursuing.

A decision was even made that the film Katyn, by Poland's celebrated director Andrzej Wajda, which documents the Soviet lie, should be shown by Russian state TV, not just a peripheral channel.

But Mr Kaczynski was prepared to publicly acknowledge Russia's recent attempts to heal the pain caused by Katyn.

"Katyn has been a painful wound in Polish history and has poisoned relations between Poles and Russians for many decades," Mr Kaczynski wrote in a speech he was to deliver at the anniversary memorial service. "We Poles appreciate Russia's activities in recent years," he wrote.

It is something of a paradox that this latest tragedy to befall the Polish nation may actually prove to help the process of reconciliation between the two nations.

There is hope.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From CNN:

The body of Poland's first lady, who was killed alongside her husband and nearly 100 other Polish leaders and dignitaries in an air crash in Russia, arrived in the country Tuesday morning as thousands waited to pay tribute.

Maria Kaczynska's body was scheduled to be taken on the same route as that of her husband, Polish President Lech Kaczynski, who was taken Sunday through the streets of central Warsaw to the presidential palace, officials said.

A short ceremony was scheduled Tuesday outside the palace, once the first lady's body arrived, officials said. Then the body was to be taken inside the palace where many of the mourners will be allowed in to view the coffin. A ceremony also was scheduled for later in the day during a special Parliament meeting.

As Poland began a week of mourning, tributes continued to be paid to 60-year-old Lech Kaczynski. A sea of candles continued to grow outside the Presidential Palace in Warsaw Monday as people lined up to sign books of condolence.

I haven't had much chance to read up last night or this morning due to work. If anyone else wants to post some quotes or news articles, please feel free.

I hope everyone in Poland and outside of Poland is recovering from this tragedy and moving forward steadily.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another update. I heard rumor of both earlier from my mom, and personally I'm glad to hear the news:

(Source)
US President Barack Obama will attend the funeral of his Polish counterpart Lech Kaczynski, killed in an air crash in western Russia on Saturday.

The presidents of Russia and France, Dmitry Medvedev and Nicolas Sarkozy, are also due to attend the funeral in the city of Krakow on Sunday.

Mr Kaczynski and his wife Maria will be buried in a crypt close to historic Polish leader Jozef Pilsudski.

Krakow's Archbishop, Stanislaw Dziwisz, announced that the funeral would begin at 1400 (1200 GMT) on Sunday in the city's medieval Wawel Cathedral, the main burial site of Polish monarchs since the 14th Century and more recent heroes including Pilsudski, who led Poland after independence from Russia in the early part of the last century.

The last Polish leader killed in office, Gen Wladyslaw Sikorski, who died in an air crash in 1943, is also interred there.

I know some are opposed to having the president being buried in Wawel (Vah-vel), and I know I do not know enough about the history surrounding the cathedral to properly judge, but I am still happy Kaczynski will be honored such.

And the fact that world leaders will attend the funeral and show their support for Poland and her people warms my heart.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is frightening how so many lives can be lost at once, whether human error or natural disaster :(