Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
Slap your moderator

for being neglectfull. (neglective. Neglecting. negletatious.)

An editor of a news publication doesn't want to see an press release that is basically an ad looking for some free press. Your story needs to be a STORY. What is the news item? What does it matter to the readers?
It needs to be timely. Not: six months ago my new book came out. You send out your press releases as soon as things happen. While it may seem like a lot to handle all at once, everyone needs the *ahem* free press. Not all publications will pick up on it. Some stick it in the interesting pile for filler. Make sure that you include some avenue for reader to follow up and connect in some way with you or your work. You will talk about your launch, reading, publication date, event, where to buy, blah blah.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ella said:
for being neglectfull. (neglective. Neglecting. negletatious.)

An editor of a news publication doesn't want to see an press release that is basically an ad looking for some free press. Your story needs to be a STORY. What is the news item? What does it matter to the readers?
It needs to be timely. Not: six months ago my new book came out. You send out your press releases as soon as things happen. While it may seem like a lot to handle all at once, everyone needs the *ahem* free press. Not all publications will pick up on it. Some stick it in the interesting pile for filler. Make sure that you include some avenue for reader to follow up and connect in some way with you or your work. You will talk about your launch, reading, publication date, event, where to buy, blah blah.

I agree with Ella--the challenge is to make your release part of a bigger news story, since most papers aren't interested in the launch of a new book (unless you're Stephen King). I would suggest writing down a list of timely topics in the news that you can connect to your book, and use that as your hook. In your release, keep relating back to your novel and how it relates to the topic at hand.

For example, when the movie, "Thirteen" came out last year (I think it was last year), our publicist pitched my book, Talking to Your Kids About Sex (which was at least a couple of years old at that point), with the headline, "How Parents Can Avoid the 'Thirteen' Syndrome." The release went on to connect the movie with the need for parents to keep the lines of communication open starting at an early age, blah blah blah. The release was quite successful, it ended up being covered in several papers and used as filler in a bunch of others.

Of course, you should send your release to all relevant publishing media as well as the dailies and regional papers, and also to any special markets that are appropriate (If your book is a novel about gardening, for example, pitch it to gardening and lifestyle mags. It's surprising what trade/consumer specialty publications will use for filler).

PM me if you need more info. Good luck!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've started writing the press release for my launch party, even though I don't have a date and definate time yet. I'm going to include snippets of reviews, once I get them. We've situated the release, I think, between the Harry Potter movie and the Narnia one. The book has bits in common with both. Plus, I'm a local person, and my local paper loves crap like that. LOL.

Thanks for the ideas!

ngoldman

Registered
Reaction score
Press Release Sites

Just to key you in, if you are not aware, there are several good press release sites where you can post your message.
eg. arrivenet.com, 24-7 press release.com and several others.
You may even wish to join authorsden.com

Good luck!
Norm
Editor
Bookpleasures.com

Status
Not open for further replies.