California's reaction to fuel cell research: "Yes!" then "No!" then "Oh, all right."

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
California's reaction to fuel cell research: "Yes!" then "No!" then "Oh, all right."

They kinda flip-flopped back and forth. The latest decision is "Yes."

We shall see.

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/09/reversal-on-fuel-cells-in-california/

My own feeling is that experimental reseach is good. But making the public pay for it is not. They should take that $43 million out of thier own R&D budget, not out of the pockets of the residents of the California region which they service.

April 9, 2010, 11:55 am <!-- date updated --><!-- <abbr class="updated" title="2010-04-09T15:39:02+00:00">— Updated: 3:39 pm</abbr> --><!-- Title -->
Reversal on Fuel Cells in California

<!-- Byline --><ADDRESS class="byline author vcard">By TODD WOODY</ADDRESS>

A month after an administrative law judge with the California Public Utilities Commission proposed denying a request from two big utilities to install fuel cells, regulators reversed course on Thursday and approved the projects.

The two utilities, Pacific Gas and Electric and Southern California Edison, had each proposed installing fuel cells that would generate three megawatts of electricity so they could study the impact of such technology on the power grid.

The administrative law judge, Dorothy J. Duda, [initially] found the $43 million cost of the projects, which would be financed by the utilities’ customers, to be excessive.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It is coming out of their R&D budget. Where do you think think the money in their R&D budget comes from?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Rate increases for the private sector electric utilities have to be approved by regulators in California. They are not allowed to do it without government approval.

I am actually kind of surprised at your response to this, to be honest. Fuel cells are a promising alternative technology to oil. As important as the peak oil issue is to you, I would think you would be a great champion of research into alternative energy sources.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm kinda leery of fuel cells because they are -- in test laboratories-- an energy sink hole that takes far more enegry to produce, charge, and maintain than the energy we get out of them. So, in a nutshell, we invest something like (let's say) 20 volts in producing one, we then expend 2 volts to try and charge one of those suckers full of a mere 10 volts, and then when we go to retrive that 10 volts a few hours or days or weeks later, we are only able to get 9.4 volts out of it (not the original 10 volts) because there is a net loss of voltage in the transfer of power from the cell into whatevr electrical appliance it is we're trying to power up.

But I am definitly in favor of research to see if we can try and either reduce that net loss, or else try to determine when a fuel cell is feasible and when it isn't. Fuel cells are ultimately only temorary holding devices which allow us to hang onto electicity that has already been produced but isn't needed just yet (in other words, it's a glorified battery). And as we all know, when batteries do nothing but sit around for prologed periods they always slowly lose bits of juice as time passes. Fuel cells do the same. There IS a benefit to our learning more and more about how to store electricy which has already been produced and merely needs to be stuck on a shelf for a while. But I do not see fuel cells as "an alternative energy source." They're nothing but a storage medium for energy that we already generated some place else.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Industries have to do R&D to make the improvements in cost and environmental impact that we, collectively, demand of them and demonize them for not acheiving whenever the power goes out, or someone is hurt, or a rare bird gets zapped by crossing lines. Personally I do not think fuel cells will be a large part of the answer, but it seems like an alternative that needs to be explored.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Rate increases for the private sector electric utilities have to be approved by regulators in California. They are not allowed to do it without government approval.

I am actually kind of surprised at your response to this, to be honest. Fuel cells are a promising alternative technology to oil. As important as the peak oil issue is to you, I would think you would be a great champion of research into alternative energy sources.
Well, I agree that the technology is promising (especially SOFC's), but they are maybe alternatives to oil, but not to fossil fuels in general. The regular ones are working on hydrogen which is derived the easiest from natural gas reforming. The SOFC's when fully developed will be able to work directly with natural gas or even gasoline. The big plus is that they are far more efficient, there are no bad by-products (if you discard CO2) because it is basically a catalytic process and not pure burning.