Status
Not open for further replies.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
The first thing I look at these days is the publisher. It's not 100% guaranteed to reflect the quality of the book, but I've been burned by paying $20+ for a paperback whose publisher is not known for screening for quality. Never again. Sorry. But maybe that's just me.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
I got a couple bags of books from a library book sale this summer and Fall of Hyperion was in it. I'm gonna have to buy the first one before I move on to the sequel, though. I think my number one score from that sale was a hardcover copy of The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

Right now I'm reading George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones and I'll probably be tiedup with its sequels until at least the end of the month. Not sci-fi, but a very cool fantasy book.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
Yes, very cool -- I'm at the end of A Game of Thrones now, but I plan to return to the sequels later, after I read some of the other books in my stack. Up next is Nancy Kress's Beggars in Spain which starts today.

Marcusthefish

Registered
Reaction score
The Hyperion books are awesome. I envy you who still have the experience in front of you. I didn't much like the follow-ups (Endymion and Rise of...) but Dan Simmons is still the man.

MTF

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Altho I'm not that into Sci Fi, I decided to try to rectify that a few years by first buying (FINALLY) I, Robot. I know it's a string of Asimov short stories, but I really enjoyed it.

Next, I got a book out of the library, by Nancy Kress, Probability: Moon. Once I got past the "scientifical" stuff, I enjoyed it. Didn't think I would, but I did. I should get back to the library soon to get the others in the series (there are 2 more I think). I think I might try her Beggars in Spain, too.

Another one: Tuf Voyaging, by George R. R. Martin (I was on a GRRM kick for awhile). Got it out of the library, as it wasn't available in the U.S. (Amazon.com) at the time. Quirky, offbeat character (and another one of those novels composed of a string of short stories), and just weird, funny situations/stories.

One last one, but I haven't read it yet: An Audience For Einstein, by Mark Wakely. It's garnered nothing but good reviews and it just sounds interesting to me:

Professor Percival Marlowe is a brilliant, elderly astrophysicist who's dying, his greatest achievement still unfinished and now beyond his diminished means. Doctor Carl Dorning, a neurosurgeon, finally discovers a secret method of transplanting memories from one person to another, thanks to Marlowe's millions. Miguel Sanchez, a homeless boy, agrees to become the recipient of Marlowe's knowledge and personality in this unorthodox experiment, enticed by Dorning's promises of intelligence, wealth and respect, but dangerously unaware that his own identity will be lost forever. What results is a seesaw battle for control of Miguel's body, as Marlowe learns to his dismay what his lifetime of arrogance and conceit has earned him. And when Marlowe stumbles upon the shocking procedure Dorning used in desperation to succeed, the professor does what he must to defeat Dorning and redeem himself at last.

That'll be my next book to read. :)

~Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.