Are freelance writers expected to do too much?

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Reading through the job listings for freelance writers on Craigslist and other similar sites, I'm always amazed by the amount of ads that say something to the effect of "Looking for someone to build and write my Web site." As freelance writers, most of us are not professional Web designers, and most Web designers I know are not professional writers. However, many of our potential clients out there either don't know that, or don't make a distinction between the two skills.

So, here's my question for you guys: Do you think that freelance clients today expect us to be knowledgeable about too many other fields besides just writing? (such as building web sites, marketing, PR, etc) If so, is it a bad thing? How do you handle clients who ask for non-writing related services?

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think what it happening is that there are writers out there who provide other services such as the ones you wrote about. And that is a smart thing to do for this reason: companies would rather pay one person rather than several to perform those tasks. Not all writers do this by any means. Some writers tend to stick to just writing and only one form of it. And others choose to add others skills to their resume other than writing such as editing, marketing (myspace,twitter, etc) and/or translation services. Still other writers teach, coach and mentor other writers. Really, this kind of thing depends on who you are as a writer. If you feel you can do that (provide services other than writing) and have the experience to back you up, AND you wish you grow your business to extend beyond writing, I say create a business plan and go for it. Sorry for the run-on sentence. lol And as far as clients who as for non-writing related services - you can deal with this two ways. 1) Don't apply for jobs that require more than writing if it's not what you want to do or 2) refer them to fellow writers who DO provide those services. Or you could choose option 3) get the training/experience. Your writing career all depends on you. What you can handle and what you cannot is all up to you. :)

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Caroline - I agree with Sky. I think because many freelancers don't make enough money through writing alone, they develop other talents associated with writing. It's a good idea, if you have the interest and inclination. Personally, my interest is solely in writing, so those are the kind of jobs I go for. Maybe someday this will change, but for now it works for me.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Heiddi, very well said! And I agree.

Another option is to create a network/team of web designers, graphic people, PR professionals and social media experts. Then apply for the job and subcontract out the non-writing parts to other professionals. The client gets the benefit of one point of contact and the best people for every job.
Dawn

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I think that, thanks to the Internet, writers are picking up other skills. For example, social media, blog design, html, community moderation and more. Newer clients don't know how it was "back in the day" nor do they have any clue of what being a freelancer writer does and doesn't entail nowadays.

Personally, I find it in a writer's best interest to pick up a variety of skills in order to add a boutique of services. I offer writing, blogging and social media consulting services. I know, however, this isn't for everyone.

My advice is to charge accordingly. You'll have to charge more to clients looking for a variety of services over simple writing. Also, if you are outsourcing, make sure your client knows and agrees. Some aren't keen to work being outsourced to people they didn't approve of.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I think you can go one of two ways...

A narrow specialty that is in demand
or...
Cultivate a variety of skills to net as much work as possible

I started out as the first and wound up the latter.
Both work well!

FreeWhistler

Cookie monster
Registered
Reaction score
As technology changes and the media becomes more and more digital I see being a complete multimedia freelancer as a necessary evolution. It may have been sufficient to be just a writer 30 years ago, and for the time being it is still a viable option. However, information technology is changing at the speed of light. It's becoming more interactive, more visual, more sensory, more interconnected and more invasive. Someday, just being a writer won't be enough. Text and multimedia will become so intertwined that editors will be looking for individuals who can pull off a feature story with all the digital elements. Today these elements are just bells and whistles, but in the future they will be as intrinsic to a story as a period.

So to answer the question... no, I don't think we're expected to do too much. Times are changing. We either have to adapt or fall behind.

Last edited:

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone!

I agree with what most of you have said--that, in some form or another, we writers either need to be able to provide those skills ourselves, or provide someone who can. It's a question I've been thinking about a lot lately, since I'm still just starting out as a freelancer and am trying to determine just how much of the multimedia side of things I'm going to provide myself. I'm certainly not a Web designer, nor do I have much desire to become one, and I'm very upfront with potential clients about what I can and can't do for them. What's happened with me is that as I've been networking to look for potential clients, I've also formed partnerships with graphics and Web people I can give referrals to (although that wasn't my original intention.)

FreeWhistler, I hope the day doesn't come when freelance writers are expected to do all the digital elements themselves. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think there's still something to be said for cultivating expertise in a certain area (whether that's writing or mulitmedia.)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Caroline, just as you wouldn't take every writing job out there (some may be beyond your interest or scope), so would you simply not apply for jobs that require skill in web design.

I am a freelance writer, editor, web designer, photographer, photo editor, and a few totally unrelated things. If I can make more money packaging my work, I will. I also associate with other professionals, and used to partner with them to bid on jobs that required both of our skill sets (for example, I program in basic HTML, so if a client wanted Flash or Java, I would contact my buddy John and ask if he wanted to bid with me).

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Wildscribe. Since I'm fairly new to freelancing, I think I'm still in the process of figuring out my job identity in this new (to me) field. At the moment, I don't have much interest in learning Web design, but I suppose that could change at some point. So, right now, I'm looking for jobs that are *just* writing.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Actually, learning how to create a web site really is pretty simple. No, seriously. If you're seeing a lot of jobs that ask you to write and create a web site, you might want to learn it. As others have mentioned, the more skills you have, the more you're worth.

Of course, if you find some that you really want and just need someone to slap together a few web pages or a site for you, drop me a line, I can do that. :)

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeffo! For the moment, I don't think I'll have a problem finding writing jobs that don't require Web design skills. I'll keep your offer in mind--I'm always looking to connect with people who know how to make a Web site.

Are you on Twitter, Linkedin, or anywhere else we could chat more?

Heather.R.

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes.

I come from a journalism background and my original writing was very newsy and not "people friendly"... many clients worked with me on it and now that I'm "friendly" I'm working more on marketing writing.

I have a very special client who pays for me to take the time to learn the stuff (marketing, or about whatever I'm writing on).

With regards to writing/building websites, the clients I do write websites for seem to already have "web guys" who can't write their content for them.