True Crime- before the case is closed

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I see Diane Fanning has Mommy's Little Girl out about Casey Anthony and the case hasnt even went to trial.

I have a fantastic case happening right near me. Can I get an agent interested or are situations like that mostly going to happen to previously published true crime writers?

Last edited:

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Trixie,

If you have a platform, you might be able to write a proposal that an editor would be interested in. But I think if you've never written true crime before, there's going to be a big question about why you need to write it (ie, are you the victim's best friend or a newspaper columnist who has followed the case from the first day?)

Unless you fulfill that possibility, I think it will be a very difficult/impossible sale.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Lucy and thanks for the reply.

The platform I have is that I have a bs in criminal justice and I work with women on death row. I have many articles out there on content sites on criminal justice topics.
Is that workable?

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking it might still be an uphill battle because you have no direct link to the case, but write out a proposal, and see what happens. Also, try to see if some of the detectives will speak to you off the record. That sometimes happens, and if you can get that, you've got something nobody else has. That's a selling point, for sure.

I think, in general, it's always better to try something rather than not.

Good luck!

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I have spoken to the D.A. and the Sheriff already. They wished me good luck! The D.A. told me that there were some things about to come out that will put this case in the history books. Should I mention that in the proposal? Thanks so much for the advice.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think in these sort of sitatuations it helps to have an angle, such as those lucy mentioned, or a history of writing true crime

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I know its a long shot but heck, at least I might have another lovely rejection to file away.

BTW: That book from Diane Fanning Mommy's Little Girl is really good;)