off-the-beaten-track outside Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familylifeabroad.com
Seeking any insider tips on great places no more than an hour's drive outside Detroit, Michigan -- all events or activities must be available for November and/or December 2005.

This is for an assigned travel article I'm doing. All replies much appreciated!
Thanks.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stephanie,
This event is in Rochester (Rochester Hills) the weekend after Labor Day.
www.artandapplesfestival.com

A little further out, you can try Romeo, Metamora, Capac, Lapeer, Imlay City. I haven't lived there in a long time, but I can do a little scopin' for ya.

**Metamora Days are Aug. 26th & 27th.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Duh, me

Sorry Steph - I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. I missed that part.

December 3rd & 4th
Mt. Bruce Station's Annual Christmas Weekend - local vendor booths, cookies and cider, potted Christmas trees, stable scenes, 12NOON-4PM
(810) 798-2568 <<<<<<798 is an Almont exchange

from www.rwchamber.com/events

www.octagonhouse.org This is a cool place. They have some events listed for Nov&Dec

www.howell.org/fantasy.htm Howell is a nice town. Fairly easy to get to from Detroit on 96

12/4/05
CHELSEA CHAMBER PLAYERS “HOMETOWN HOLIDAY CONCERT”
The Chelsea Chamber Players will present their annual in the Historic Chelsea Depot. The Concert will be FREE to the public and is one of many weekend events as part of the Chelsea Chamber of Commerce's Hometown Holiday festivities. The program is yet to be determined, but will feature the talents of local professional musicians and finish with a sing-a-long of popular carols.
http://tinyurl.com/bzxyko

I'll keep looking. Brings back memories....

Last edited:

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
A couple historical neighborhoods in Detroit itself have Holiday Home Tours in December--Boston-Edison holds its home tour on December 18, and Palmer Woods holds its hme tour on December 5. I can get you more info if you want (I live in Boston-Edison), but I'm not sure if that's the type of thing you're looking for.

Thanksgiving parade's on...Thanksgiving day. If that's of interest.

The Detroit Institute of Arts is always cool. There's apparently a couple special exhibitions up over November and December.

Eastern Market, of course. Nothing special going on so far as I can tell, but a great destination all the same.

I could probably think of some other things, if you let me know which of these seem most useful.

Stephanie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familylifeabroad.com
That's some neighborhood - Boston-Edison; but I really need to showcase places outside the city (although I'll probably mention the Eastern Market as a toss-away when coming back from Windsor).

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Outside Detroit, huh? That narrows it down...

Hows about this: If you're going to Windsor, try the [ulr=http://www.artgalleryofwindsor.com/]Art Gallery of Windsor[/url]. Not exactly "off the beaten path" for Canadians, but it probably would be for Americans. I dunno what they're showing in November/December, but we went a couple months ago, and they had some cool stuff for a small gallery. Plus they're in a brand new building right on the river, with a great view of downtown Detroit. Not far away is ArtCite, a small commercial gallery. Again, I'm not sure what's going on in Nov/Dec, but they've usually got some pretty avante-garde stuff. Round it out with a visit to the Mini Restaurant just up the street, the best of Windsor's many Asian restaurants.

Stephanie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familylifeabroad.com
The art galleries sound good and thanks for the restaurant tip too. Windsor should experience some spin-off tourism from the Super Bowl in Detroit this coming February, so readers 'stash' this less time-specific info for a bit later on! :)

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor is within an hour of Detroit (and a very easy drive down the interstate), and it's got lots of cultural events as well as sports (e.g. a University of Michigan football game--those are Saturdays throughout the fall, so there must be some in November). Great shopping too.

stillbreathin

St. Clair Shores starts their festival of lights in mid December, basically just big houses with ornate Christmas lights. 10 Mile and Jefferson Down to Eight Mile...Vernier if you're Grosse Pointer. Most of the houses in the Grosse Pointe Park, Woods, and Shores have pretty impressive light displays as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.