Would you purchase a book to enter a drawing with a prize in the $500-$600 range?

Would you purchase a book to enter a drawing with a prize in the $500-$600 range?

• yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • no

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
In conjunction with my publisher, I am planning a contest (maybe two) to coincide with the release of the paperback version of Working Stiff and the hardcover of Scared Stiff, both coming out in August. But I am wondering how many people would purchase a book (either in hard cover or electronic format) if that was necessary to enter a random drawing contest with the following prizes: first place would be either a notebook computer or an iPad (which one would you personally prefer??), and there will be additional prizes that include a Kindle/Nook, T-shirts, coffee mugs, an online book store gift certificate for $25, a bag of free books from my publisher (Kensington), and maybe (I haven't decided yet if this prize is too specific to a limited group) a read and critique of your ms from my agent or editor. Hence the poll.

I'm considering two contests, one that would require a proof of purchase for Scared Stiff, and one that anyone can enter. The proof of purchase one will have the bigger, better prizes attached to it and the proof of purchase is all that will be required to enter. The second contest would be a one question, quiz-oriented one (related to the main character in the series) with nothing more than an email with the correct answer required to enter. Not sure what the prizes for that one will be yet.

Thoughts??

Beth

LLauren

A proud member of the Cat Staff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bibliobuffet.com
I would!

Hi, Beth.

I hadn't known about your books before but they look quite tasty. I think I am going to buy, but I am wondering if there is a first chapter available for reading.

I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I have to say those intrigue me. I assume you are the "study" behind the nurse? And I'd certainly be up for winning an iPad (!!!), an online bookstore certificate (Powell's rather than Amazon?), or a bag of books from the publisher (do we get to choose?). But ... I would only buy them for the contest if I was interested in buying them anyway.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, no. I'm not likely to purchase something just to enter a contest. If I'm going to purchase it anyway, I'll likely enter the contest. In general my luck so sucks at contests, it's not worth it to me to spend extra money.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't, but I'm sure a lot of people would. I probably wouldn't enter the contest even if I were purchasing the book anyway (I believe in math), but that's just me.

Offering an ipad would probably get some attention.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only if I was interested in the book.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to like the book first.

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
Hi, Beth.

I hadn't known about your books before but they look quite tasty. I thinkI am going to buy, but I am wondering if there is a first chapter available for reading.

I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I have to say those intrigue me. I assume you are the "study" behind the nurse? And I'd certainly be up for winning an iPad (!!!), an online bookstore certificate (Powell's rather than Amazon?), or a bag of books from the publisher (do we get to choose?).

Thanks for the interest! And you can read the first chapter of WORKING STIFF on my web site: www.bethamos.com

I don't have the first chapter of SCARED STIFF up there yet (I'm working on the page proof edits now) but it will be coming soon.

Beth

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
The bad thing I see from this is that it makes your book look like a gimmick. Books should sell on their own because people want to read them.. Although I wouldn't be opposed to winning a cool prize, if you have to bribe people to buy your book, what makes you think they're the sort of person who would keep coming back for more books?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
AllieB is right, it's probably illegal.

But that said, I'd want to know how many other people are "entering" buying the book, or however you look at it. It there's only ten, then yes. If its substantially more (as I would presume), then I'd have to be attracted enough to the book to have bought it anyway. But I'm a practical what-are-my-real-chances-of-winning kind of person.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think in the States it's considered gambling if you have to make a purchase. So then you run into the problem of which state you're in (if you're even in the States) and which state the purchaser is in, and whether gambling is legal in either state, and... a mess.

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
More information is available from the US Federal Trade Commission on prize offers and contests. From the information on their website, it is illegal to require a purchase to enter the contest.

For some reason, your link took me to a general article list page and I couldn't find anything specific on the topic. I've seen a similar contest recently online and for some reason thought that the illegalities were only if you solicit through mail, email, or fax??? If not, it wouldn't be the first time I thunk wrong.

How is that entities can run raffles where you have to purchase a ticket to win? (Maybe it's just non-profits?? Now that I think about it, I think all the ones I've seen have been non-profits.)

If it's illegal, that will certainly help me decide though I was leaning toward a guessing contest anyway where only the correct entries would be eligible for the prize drawing and no purchase would be necessary, though having the book would help you guess correctly. Based on the poll results so far, the purchase requirement wouldn't help much anyway.

Thanks to all who have played/replied so far.

Beth

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.