• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Iron dust from ore, into water.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, if water is travelling down a mountain, and there's an iron ore deposit within the ground it's travelling over, can the water erode the ore so that at some point, the particles from the ore give the water a slight reddish tint? (Assuming it's reddish iron ore, like what you find in the Sudan mines.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I believe there is a place in Spain where this phenomenon occurs. It's in the dryer areas, I think.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. You don't actually even need a mineable ore deposit. More common is the weathering of iron sulfide (the common mineral pyrite, FeS2) under surface conditions to produce iron oxide (Fe2O3) along with sulfuric acid. This is a frequent source of water pollution from mine tailings, and rusty water is the major obvious symptom. Iron sulfide occurs commonly with other metal sulfides, of things like copper, molybdenum, lead and zinc, which are used as ores of those metals.

caw

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
My house is built on a hill that contains iron ore and I can assure you the water turns a rusty pink color.