Flight physical

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hopeful that a pilot or doctor can tell me what would be checked in a standard flight physical. This would be for a private pilot - not an airline pilot or anything like that. I'm assuming a basic physical, drug testing? Would they normally take any x-rays? Thanks.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
http://flightphysical.com/part67/Standards_Summary.htm

Third Class Private Pilot:

DISTANCE VISION: 20/40 in each eye with or without correction
NEAR VISION: 20/40 in each eye with or without correction
INTERMEDIATE VISION: No requirement for 3rd class private pilot
COLOUR VISION: Ability to distinguish colours necessary for performing airman duties

HEARING: Demonstrate hearing of an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears at 6 feet, with the back turned to the examiner or pass one of the audiometric tests below.
AUDIOLOGY: Audiometric speech discrimination test: Score at least 70% reception in one ear.
Pure tone audiometric test. Unaided, with thresholds no worse than:
500 Hz 1,000 Hz 2,000 Hz 3,000 Hz
Better Ear 35 Db 30 dB 30 dB 40 dB
Worst Ear 35 dB 50 dB 50 dB 60 dB

ENT: No ear disease or condition manifested by, or that may reasonably be expected to maintained by, vertigo or a disturbance of speech or equilibrium.

PULSE: No disqualification. Used to determine cardiovascular status.
BLOOD PRESSURE: Current guideline for maximum standard is 155/95.
ECG: Not routinely required for 3rd class private pilots.

MENTAL: No diagnosis of psychosis, or bipolar disorder, or severe personality disorders.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE: No diagnosis of substance abuse unless clinical evidence satisfactory to the federal air surgeon of recovery for at least 2 years.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Eyesight does not have to be more than perfect...I wore correction when I got my class III. Rather like my driver's licence notes, hey, I gotta wear correction. And I am usually only corrected to 20/20 (though I have some that zap me to 20/10).

I don't recall getting X-rays when I got my class III, just a good basic physical.

JAnd I just hollered down the hall to a self-ground ex-pilot (migraine problem w/ visual
disturbances...didn't want his ticket yanked, so just never flew again without another PIC-capable person along). Also does not recall anything remarkable about getting that class III.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, folks. Got just what I need.