I've won a cruise

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
All I have to do is phone a premium rate number, give them my name, address and date of birth, and provide my credit card details so they can deduct a "small admin charge".

Gah. How do these people get away with this? I know people must fall for this stuff or they wouldn't bother but it's still infuriating. It was a recorded message or I would have asked the person calling for their name, address, date of birth and credit card details. They always hang up pretty quickly when I do that.

And quite apart from anything else, cruise ships are little more than floating prisons, and not my idea of a good time. ;)

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I work in a bank and you would not believe the fraud people fall for. It's very disheartening b/c it's often the elderly who fall for things like "Here's your check containing the winnings from a Canadian lottery." The first thing I say is "Did you play the Canadian lottery?" That usually helps them understand what's going on.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten two emails in the past month advising me what to do because my accounts are about to be closed. Pisses me off! I know tons of people fall for these; they look really real :(

I updated my info with a school I went to, and they posted my email as my contact email. Just out there on the web, by my real name. I can't decide which pisses me off more, frankly!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Likewise, received a ton of "lottery" emails. Actually had a family member recently almost fall for a snail mail scam. When he told me about it at first I let it slide and just hoped he'd let it go. Then he told me that they had said he should have received his check already and that he needed to send them money so they could investigate where the check was. Of course I had to break it to him then, it was crazy uncomfortable. He'd really convinced himself this was legit...

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My MIL almost fell for something like that a few years ago. She was so excited and even got a certificate about the cruise. At least on the certificate (in extremely small print that my MIL couldn't read) it stated she had to pay for airfare and excursions and had to go to a two hour spiel about something or other.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Fran report them to the Trading Standards people - see here: https://secure.consumerdirect.gov.uk/reportascam.aspx

They were calling from Canada, so I don't know if that would still apply, but thanks for the link. :)

sadron said:
It was a fake call then?

Once they get all that information, they can start applying for credit cards or loans in your name. Well, not my name, Bernie Madoff's got a better credit rating than I have, but some people lose thousands of pounds on these credit cards and have never actually seen them. Never give anyone who's cold called you personal information.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I receive a few every day. What infuriates me the most is that there are people out there who are dumb enough to even open emails from these fucks. How gullible are people? That's WHY these fucks exist. They know there's a sucker born every minute.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Unfortunately, those "you're a contest winner" things can arrive by phone call or snail mail. Many times older people can't read the tiny print on the snail mail that has all kinds of disclaimers. They just see "You've won!" and a number to call. Or the phone pitch is directed at them (easy to find who's a senior citizen online) and the recipient thinks, "Wow, he knows my name! It must be for real." And yeah, there are suckers born every minute, so it's not just the elderly who fall for it.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, those "you're a contest winner" things can arrive by phone call or snail mail. Many times older people can't read the tiny print on the snail mail that has all kinds of disclaimers. They just see "You've won!" and a number to call. Or the phone pitch is directed at them (easy to find who's a senior citizen online) and the recipient thinks, "Wow, he knows my name! It must be for real." And yeah, there are suckers born every minute, so it's not just the elderly who fall for it.

Definitely not. My dad's 54 and disregards phone calls and letters like that, but the number of times I've had to stop him replying to the phishing emails is ridiculous. He seems to think if they've got his email address it must be legit, since he only uses a work email address and not a personal one. *sigh*

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many lotteries and inheritance from some long lost relative email's I've gotten. Someone has a lot of time on there hands out there to think up this stuff.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
My 92-year-old mom, a perfect lady most of the time, when the scam caller phones her she says, "F You!" and hangs up. They don't call back. :D

Glad ya didn't get scammed, Fran and anyone else...

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our standard reply is a robotic "You have reached a mannequin. I am unable to make financial decisions." Click.