PDA

View Full Version : Mention Malice Domestic Contest?

Macossay
04-08-2010, 01:23 AM
So I entered a novel in the Malice Domestic contest and got a letter saying that it made it to the final round of judging.

Hot damn!

Then the letter went on to say that they weren't choosing a winner this year.

Well . . . damn.

So now I'm going to query agents and I'm wondering if I should mention this contest. On the one hand, if it made the final cut, I see it as encouragement that it's marketable to the right publisher. But would an agent figure that if it didn't win, it's not very marketable?

Lucy
04-08-2010, 04:37 AM
I wouldn't. It doesn't ultimately mean anything.

heyjude
04-08-2010, 04:50 AM
:welcome: Macossay!

Nathan Bransford did a blog entry (http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/12/all-about-writing-contests.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NathanBransford+%28Nathan+Bra nsford+-+Literary+Agent%29&utm_content=Google+Reader) about this a while ago. Relevant info about halfway down.

It's fantastic you were a finalist, but I agree with Lucy that you shouldn't mention it.

J.Reid
04-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Don't mention contests unless you win.

heyjude
04-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Ah, Ms. Shark, I tried searching in your archives, thinking you'd mentioned this a time or two, but couldn't find anything. Thanks for weighing in.

Macossay, friend, listen to the smart lady shark. She knows whereof she speaks. :D