PDA

View Full Version : Herbalism - courses/lifestyle

dirtsider
04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm thinking of having one of my minor characters be a certified herbalist. At this point, the character isn't going to be a major player in the story but I think the MC's are going to go to the character's house at some point and they see the 'lab' so to speak. (Basically, I'm not sure how much this is going to play into the story just yet.)

So I was wondering about a couple of things:

1. How much does it cost to go the full route to become a certified herbalist?

2. How long does it usually take? (The character in question will be able to devote most of their time to the classes.)

3. Can you make a living/career as a certified herbalist and at what sort of locations?

4. What would someone have in a home 'lab' set up?

FYI - I am going to do my own research on the internet. I just wanted people's personal experiences.

PeterL
04-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I think that depends on what sort of a certification the character will have. This made me wonder, so I searched a little, and it looks like there are many distance learning/ correspondence school arrangements. There also are university majors in natural medicine, herbalism, etc. The stand alone programs probably just cost some money and may impart some knowledge. The university programs probably impart a little more knowledge.

dirtsider
04-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm thinking more than just can be found in books with a little bit of effort. Probably closer to the university programs. Thanks - that does help narrow it down a little. At least in my investigation of the online stuff.

PeterL
04-08-2010, 12:42 AM
You might want to look t state certification requirements and see which states have any. I know that there are "naturalists" who are actually certified, and accupuncturists need certification, but I do not know about herbalists.

By the way, I have known several people who were well experienced with herbs, but none of them made enough money at it to keep a church mouse alive. I think that it might be possible to run an herb store and make money at it, but it would be more tha just herbs.

Ruth2
04-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Susun Weed's Healing Wise forum has a ton of herbalists of all flavors on it. some of them have gone through certification, and several are (or were) making a living at it.

dirtsider
04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks. I think that was one of the websites that I glanced at. I'll take a closer look to see if they have some forums.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking of having one of my minor characters be a certified herbalist. At this point, the character isn't going to be a major player in the story but I think the MC's are going to go to the character's house at some point and they see the 'lab' so to speak. (Basically, I'm not sure how much this is going to play into the story just yet.)

So I was wondering about a couple of things:

1. How much does it cost to go the full route to become a certified herbalist?
2. How long does it usually take? (The character in question will be able to devote most of their time to the classes.)
3. Can you make a living/career as a certified herbalist and at what sort of locations?
4. What would someone have in a home 'lab' set up?

FYI - I am going to do my own research on the internet. I just wanted people's personal experiences.

There are no required certification programs - unlike RN or such. They can just declare themselves an herbalist and start mixing things. As long as they stay away from "practicing medicine", they can work almost anywhere.

Cost of learning: There are residentuial programs for a couple thousand dollars, but most herbalists I know are self-taught or slid into it from something else like botany.

Home lab setup: Lots of bottles of herbs and a small analytical chem lab if they are testing purity and concentration of their raw materials. Lots of reference books.

Find a Culbreth's "Materia Medica" from 1927. It explains the tests for purity and contamination for botanicals used at that time in pharmacies. A quick read will tell you what you need.