PDA

View Full Version : Another post got me thinking....

Christyp
04-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Do we create stories because we have "God Complexes"? To escape reality? Or are you like me and have an over active imagination?
What got you started on writing?

Kateness
04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
What got me started? No clue. All I remember was that I wrote my first book in second grade about an apple that ran away from the apple tree and got run over by a bus. I illustrated it and everything.

Alpha Echo
04-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I really don't know. I guess I'm like Kate. I just have always been writing, since I learned how to write. I do have an overactive imagination though. I dream nightly. I really need to start writing them down right when I wake up from them b/c I always forget them, or almost always.

scarletpeaches
04-06-2010, 04:39 PM
That was my post wasn't it? :D

SP, Godlike.

semilargeintestine
04-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I dream in movies. Pretty much every other night I'll dream through a full movie. The other night it was a romantic comedy. A few nights ago was an action movie. Sometimes they suck, but sometimes they're good. :D

The earliest I can remember writing fiction is grammar school when I wrote something for a class and got a 0 because my teacher thought I plagarised it.

StoryG27
04-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I write because I've always had stories, long, drawn out, complex stories playing in my head and this way I can get them out. I think it's been a stress reliever for me, and a way to curb boredom, and an escape when life is overwhelming. When I was a kid, a group of us slept over at one girl's house every Friday, and every Friday, I had a new story about my cousin and his friends. Only the whole things was made up. I eventually told them these people weren't real and they were mad because they'd grown so attached to them, but after they got over it, they still insisted I tell them what the gang was up to, even knowing it was just in my head. I didn't actually seriously consider writing these stories that crop up in my head and turning them into manuscripts until a college professor fell in love with my writing (wasn't even creative writing, it was boring research crap) and told me every day for months on end that she was waiting for my first novel to come out. One day, I thought, what the hell? and just started writing. Sadly, I don't know if I'll ever have a novel published, but I have a feeling I'll never stop writing. Now that I started, I just can't seem to stop.

Christyp
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Scarletpeaches...I believe that it was, indeed, your post. *wink*

scarletpeaches
04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I haz a famouse! :D

backslashbaby
04-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I just like telling stories that will amuse people. I have many stories that amuse me and are probably not what other folks would like. So, amusement one way or another. Not exactly stress relief or anything particularly emotional, though.

I like writing software that works well/pleases users, designing pretty gardens, or performing dances that folks find amusing to watch. Writing is like that, really. And that works for me :)

scarletpeaches
04-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I honestly have a God complex. It's all about control. With fiction, I can influence every little thing that happens. Sure, I often talk about my characters taking over and surprising me in conversation or with various personality traits, but I can still look down on them and say, "I made you. You're my bitch."

I could rain down fire and brimstone if I wanted, but most of the time they fuck up their own lives with no uundue influence from me, so it's all good and fun. :D

Really, though, it's about creation. I don't relate facts; I tell the truth. And yet I'm paid for telling lies. It's all deliciously twisted.

I get paid to make shit up, and the best fiction is made-up-shit which tells the truth about people.

caseyquinn
04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
//the best fiction is made-up-shit which tells the truth about people. //

Awesome line!

I write because it is a hobby, I enjoy doing so as I have no real dream of being a full time fiction writer it takes the stress away of expectations or demand. I just do it because I can and lets me wind down after a crappy work day or week.

the addster
04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I honestly have a God complex. It's all about control. With fiction, I can influence every little thing that happens. Sure, I often talk about my characters taking over and surprising me in conversation or with various personality traits, but I can still look down on them and say, "I made you. You're my bitch."

I could rain down fire and brimstone if I wanted, but most of the time they fuck up their own lives with no uundue influence from me, so it's all good and fun. :D

Really, though, it's about creation. I don't relate facts; I tell the truth. And yet I'm paid for telling lies. It's all deliciously twisted.

I get paid to make shit up, and the best fiction is made-up-shit which tells the truth about people.

I used to think like that, with everything I created, first with art. Folks would see something totally different than I did in it. It wasn't mine anymore. I had no control over it once it left my studio. It was whatever anyone looking it wanted it to be. Sure, they always ask about inspiration, but I realized I was only giving my view, it didn't change theirs.

Writing has been the same for me. People pick up on things that I don't even realize are there. Yeah, I created it but control is an illusion. I'm not just lying to everyone else, I'm lying to myself too.

It's like kids, sure you created them, but they aren't really yours.

I'm good with that.

Cella
04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Although I've always enjoyed writing, I just wanted the experience of writing a book and looked for a characters and situations to make it as fun as possible. And it was much more fun than I thought it would be :)

scarletpeaches
04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
...control is an illusion. I'm not just lying to everyone else, I'm lying to myself too.

It's like kids, sure you created them, but they aren't really yours.

I'm good with that.I'm talking about control over my book, not over my readers.

And I never want to have kids anyway.

Jamesaritchie
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Money. I had too many bills and too few dollars.

scarletpeaches
04-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I think JAR just won the thread.

Chris P
04-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Some people compulsively wash their hands; I ruminate scenes in my head. It can be an actual problem sometimes (I've spent the last hour gathering info for a book instead of working through the actual work pile on my desk). Until I write the scenes down they churn through my head, keeping me awake literally all night and distracting me from school or work.

Writing is literally therapeutic for me. I can't concentrate until the scenes are out of my head. If I make money from it so much the better, but it's not my main motivation.

Christyp
04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
My vote is for JAR, as well!

Snowstorm
04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I like the creativity and making my mind work the "puzzle" of my story. Figuring out the who, what, when, and red herrings of my mysteries is a hoot to me.

C.M.C.
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
My God complex is an atheist.

thehairymob
04-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Too much imagination from an early age to escape the lifes cruel reality. The need to create for destruction bring you to live within the ruins you are left with. And I suppose the wish to control all that in the real world you can't. There is no one answer for you will always find another on a different day, a least I would. :Soapbox: :ROFL:

kuwisdelu
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I have a God complex, but it has nothing to do with my writing.

The Scip
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I got into writing when I was younger, I think about 3rd or 4th grade. I got into again more seriously when I had a story in my head that I just HAD to write. I couldn't stop thinking about it until I wrote it. For me it's more about the story than the control or God-complex.

Libbie
04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
I definitely have an over-active imagination. I always have. I like to speculate and ask myself weird questions, and then try to answer them. The answers usually are so fun (for me, at least) that I want to share them with other people.

So I guess it's a combination of my wild imagination and my liking for sharing.

Libbie
04-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I have a God complex, but it has nothing to do with my writing.

I have a God complex in my novel! You people from the year 2000 A.D. call it Karnak.

scarletpeaches
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I have a God complex in my novel! You people from the year 2000 A.D. call it Karnak.AH SEE WHUT YOU DID THUR.

PGK
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
When I was 10 I decapitated my cousin in a car crash during a race.

That was the first story I ever remember telling and my imagination has never stopped working since.

Btw, you should have seen my grandfather's expression when I came back from the race and told him Jerry had his head cut off after crashing his car. I think it was that reaction that motivated me to keep going, but it was my mother's chastisement that convinced me to convert from lying verbally to "storytelling on paper."

All these decades later and now I find myself wishing that had actually happened to that bastard.

NeuroFizz
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
It's a unique personal and intellectual challenge that has, as its judge and jury, a population of strangers. Please them if we can. Thrill them if we can. Put a ring-of-words through their noses and lead them on our journey, if we can.

Phaeal
04-07-2010, 02:08 AM
It's a unique personal and intellectual challenge that has, as its judge and jury, a population of strangers. Please them if we can. Thrill them if we can. Put a ring-of-words through their noses and lead them on our journey, if we can.

Mmmmm. I like this one.

Linda Adams
04-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I was eight. My best friend was writing a class play, and I wanted to do one because she was. Ironically, she joined a creative writing class in eighth grade, and never wrote again. I wanted to join the class and was turned down by the counselor because I "wasn't capable of handling it." Next year, I took second place in the school essay contest.

ishtar'sgate
04-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Boredom. I was an asthmatic kid and forced to sit quietly for hours on end after a bad attack. I read a lot and when I tired of reading other people's stories I began making up my own.

Soothing Snow
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
What got me started? No clue. All I remember was that I wrote my first book in second grade about an apple that ran away from the apple tree and got run over by a bus. I illustrated it and everything.
Pretty much exactly like this. I would always want to write, just make up stories and live them out on paper. My first book was almost exactly like Kate's. Except my story had golden apples:tongue

kaitie
04-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I had never taken writing seriously until junior high school when I guess I was about eleven or twelve. We'd had to do some stories for school when I was younger, but I'd never thought much of it. I remember writing poems on the bus on the way to a field trip in fourth grade, but even that was just something dorky we did for fun. The same day we were trying to figure out our own secret codes, so it wasn't like something I see as a seminal moment for me or anything.

I think I started writing because I loved to read. I was one of those kids who carried a book everywhere I went, and it never really occurred to me until I had a teacher who had us do an assignment for class and I realized whoa...I could actually write my own stories!

I wouldn't say I have a God complex at all. Escapism, yes. It's just something I enjoy doing. I love exploring new places and experiencing things that I would never otherwise be able to do (or want to in some cases lol). And when I was a kid, I realized how awesome it would be to share the same love of reading I'd always had with other people.

KTC
04-07-2010, 01:06 PM

ROALD DAHL
&
Dr. Seuss

Marian Perera
04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I was the firstborn child in a large extended family. No other siblings or even kids for several years.

So I grew up among adults, tried to read their books when I was six and had to have a Harold Robbins novel removed from my little hands. Books were just inherently fascinating, and I started scribbling down stories shortly afterwards.

That, and I'm a control freak. When things in reality became difficult, I could escape into worlds that I made up. I could plan what happened and make sure it was carried out. When my mother died and my father married again a few months later, I wrote a story about a man who did the same thing. Except it turned out to be an elaborate plot where the first wife faked her death so that he could marry an heiress and murder her for her money, eventually ending up with the first wife again.

Is there a psychologist in the house?

Ahem. But yes, that's why I started writing.