Creative Child Press/Paradise Press

Stacey Sweeney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for any information on the publishing companies: Creative Child Press and Paradise Press.
Both publish a lot of the books you can find at places like Dollar General or the Dollar Tree.
I can't find websites or addresses for either of them. Does anyone know if they are a vanity publishers, or a traditional publishers?

Thanks,
Stacey

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
Many of the low-cost extremely mass market kinds of books that you find at somewhere like Dollar General or Dollar Tree were created by packagers who produce a product *for* a company -- thus allowing the company to have books with their company name on them, without the costs involved in what you might think of as "normal" publishing. The books are produced at a flat fee (very very low) with no royalties and the company owns all the rights. They don't get listed in places like the CWIM or places like Preditors and Editors because they aren't "publishers" in a context that matters to writers like us because they don't take submissions.

If you have written and sold a lot of magazine stories and you'd like another source of money that (1) have very tight, very rigid deadlines, (2) sometimes no byline, (3) no royalities and low flat fee payouts...you can send resumes and clips to children's book packagers to be considered for these kinds of jobs. I don't think the CWIM really lists packagers anymore (they once did). I do believe that SCBWI still has a list of packagers that is available for members.

gran

PS...packagers do other things than those little books and some of their clients include big publishers since many book series are actually handled by packagers -- but ONE of the things that is usually done by packagers is the production of those cheap mass-mass-market books.

Stacey Sweeney

Registered
Reaction score
These companies do list the author and illustrator of each book (at least of the ones in our house) and are actual stories. I've seen the board books that just have a word or two per page, but these are actual long stories.
I was just wondering how to get a hold of the two companies to ask for submission guidelines.