Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Anybody hear of a remake of Michael Crichton's Westworld? I read an article a while back but can't seem to relocate it. I don't know what to make of all this remake mania. Will this be the decade of sci/fi remakes? In addition we have:

War of the Worlds
Kong by Peter Jackson
Logan's Run written by William F. Nolan

What the heck is next on the list, and what am I missing in the sci-fi/fantasy/adventure genre? Do you think these movies will encourage the older backlist titles into reprint?

Oh, will somebody define the genre of Kong for me. I'm thinking it is action/adventure with some horror elements.

Tri

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Heh, I heard a producer once quoted as saying (in regard to remakes), "We just feel we should refresh the newer generation with this topic."

THEN GIVE EM' SOMETHING THAT'S INCLUSIVELY THEIRS! You damn idiot.

Either that or come on o'er to AW and read some of our queries and pitch letters. We'll damn sure have something for you in a matter of minutes. And it will be new, nuts, bizzare, quirky, insane, bent, refreshing, horrific, innovative--whatever.

I couldn't believe that Mighty Joe Young was rehashed. It was a great remake with flawless special effects. But the original was classic and very heart-tugging. Be careful when you try to re-tug a heart, says I.

I think all of these previous properties are owned and the studios have to purchase the rights/licenses to aquire these past epics. Why couldn't that money go to new writers and script people for totally new, or at least originally re-vamped storylines.

I know I'm sniffin' in my soup, cause' we sure aren't going to change the industry. So I'll purchase my walker now and prepare to visit my favorite cinemaplex in 20-years for the remake premier of Jurassic Park # 1.

And I'll bet I'll walk away just dazzled.

Tri

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
How 'bout when they remake Star Wars? Except the next time around they'll start with episode I and work through them in order ...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the re-make of Howard the Duck. Oh, sorry -- the re-imagining of. Like slapping a new catch-phrase on it will keep us from realizing it's a freakin' re-tread.

PS -- they're not really re-doing Howard the Duck.

Please don't let them re-do Howard the Duck.

What have I done?! Jerry Bruckheimer is gonna read this, and before you know it....

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
alaskamatt17 said:
How 'bout when they remake Star Wars? Except the next time around they'll start with episode I and work through them in order ...

Heh, I'm actually looking forward to this, as long as Lucas has nothing to do with it. His ham-fisted writing and directing really messed up what could have been some stupendously good movies. Honestly, sometimes his dialogue makes me cringe.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
What bothers me is when the movie makers substitute special effects for story development or character. I'm one of the ones who prefers the original Star Wars to the special editions. I'd much rather have characters I'll remember instead of whiz-bang special effects I'll forget when I exit the theater. Some movies/shows lose so much once they get money. Original Doctor Who, anyone? First season Red Dwarf? Give us back sets that wobble and alien costumes where the heads come off, as long as the acting is enjoyable!

So if remaking a movie is acceptable, remaking a book is considered plagiarism, right? The same story can be retold in different ways (Romeo & Juliet, West Side Story, etc). Does someone coming up with a different slant on an existing book need to acquire the rights to the property?

Status
Not open for further replies.