PDA

View Full Version : The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Monkey
04-05-2010, 08:04 PM
A challenge born out of frustration.

The Rules:

1) You must do something to your novel before you can log onto the internet. You can add a single sentence or edit your last one, but it has to be something, and you have to do it every time.

2) You can't start any other projects until your current one is finished. This includes outlining. (You can jot down ideas, but that's it, Bucko!)

3) You must have a daily, weekly, or monthly goal that is absolutely doable for you, in your current situation, right now. It doesn't matter how small it is. That self-imposed goal should be your absolute minimum number of words for the time period specified.

4) You must post your working title, word count, goal, and updates here so that you can be cheered on.

Any takers?

Monkey
04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I'll start.

You Don't Have to Cook in the Clink
6,397 words

My absolute minimum goal: 50 words per day/350 words per week
(My hoped-for goal: 200 words per day/1,200 per week, preferably better)

Even my hoped-for goal doesn't sound like much, but that would put me at my current word count in around five weeks, when in actuality, I've been working on this about three months. Some of that was research, but damn. :(

shakeysix
04-05-2010, 08:16 PM
wow--sounds like the fix i need to curb my gemini nature. i won't log on again till i have this ready --s6

NicoleMD
04-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Man, just what I need!

The Prey of Gods
73,000 words currently

Goal: Write 10,000 words by April 30th (which will hopefully be the end of the book.)
Daily Goal: 500 words

I'm 500 words behind for the day, so I'm logging off as soon as I drop a link in my sig.

Nicole

benbradley
04-06-2010, 07:26 AM
For some reason this thread, and "The Coming Age of Electricity" (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4209509&postcount=9) is screaming my name.

That excerpt is spoken by a college student to his professor who teaches a class on this newfangled electricity thing. Unfortunately, wrote that excerpt at the very start, then proceeded to write 50,617 words (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/201069) of this novel last November, and at the end of all that he's still in high school. But at least his mother was burned as described (a "pretty good scene" of about four pages, about 5k in, but it'll probably be the real start of the novel). At the rate I was going, I project that excerpt to drop in nicely starting at word # 542,137.

Maybe I can move the story along faster, but I've put so much detail into it so far that I can't envision the completed work being under a quarter million words.I'd like to keep all these ideas - at worst, I could excise them, branch off and write another couple of novels or so based on them. Hey, at least I don't have a dearth of material and ideas.

The Rules:
3) You must have a daily, weekly, or monthly goal that is absolutely doable for you, in your current situation, right now. It doesn't matter how small it is. That self-imposed goal should be your absolute minimum number of words for the time period specified.

Hmm. Okay, 500 words per day. I might almost get through by November, and then I can try something else with a little faster pacing.

4) You must post your working title, word count, goal, and updates here so that you can be cheered on properly chastized.

Any takers?
Okay. I understand.

Title above.
50,617/???,???
Goal: To end up with a reasonable (? okay, may be too much to ask) and complete story that ends with "The End."

Secondary goal: Write fewer and shorter posts, more fiction. :)

Witch_turtle
04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds like just what I need. I'm very anxious to finish revising my WIP, but I have a habit of doing about an hour of internetting before even looking at my document, by which time I often don't feel like working anymore or else don't have enough time! I need some rules to stick by.

WIP: "Greyling" (although the title's been changed about 17 times and probably will many more)
Word Count: 93K - Revising some, rewriting some - about halfway done
Goal: To finish by June 1st -- 2 months. Daily word counts are useless to me . . . depending on how many hours of class and how many papers I have due, I could write anywhere from 5 words to 5000 words. Once uni is out (2 more weeks!) I'll have more time to get cracking!!!

:D Good luck everyone!

Layla Nahar
04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm in - I have a short & I have been really struggling with the re-write of it. It's about 5-6K words, and it has about that many incomplete spots. My goal is to fill in and fix those incomplete spots, one per week.

The (working) title is "A Song for Teele"
My word count per day: 50 words/day (I guess each gap will take about 300 words to fill)

I expect to get back to this on Sunday, 4/11

It may seem like less work that finishing a novel, but I started this in August. I only started finishing 1st drafts about a year ago - after (its to embarrassing to say how many) years of trying. I thought it was hard to finish 1st drafts - didn't expect to find the re-write so hard! I really want to be able to actually finish a WIP completely - submission ready :)

'buon lavoro' to everyone in this thread!
& thanks to the OP -

StoryG27
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM

The Rules:

1) You must do something to your novel before you can log onto the internet. You can add a single sentence or edit your last one, but it has to be something, and you have to do it every time.

2) You can't start any other projects until your current one is finished. This includes outlining. (You can jot down ideas, but that's it, Bucko!)

4) You must post your working title, word count, goal, and updates here so that you can be cheered on.

Any takers?
I'll be a taker.

Like others, this is just what I need right now. I like the rules and I like that I can set my measly lil' reasonable goals and not feel like an idiot for my low word count goal. I am almost done (I think) with the first draft of a manuscript and I cant, well, finish the damn book. I'm stuck. I've been stuck for weeks, and as time goes by, I'm only getting stucker. . .and now I'm making up words. Great.

So here it is (and I hate the title, but it's all I've got right now)

Still of Night

Minium Goal: 100 words per day (for the rest of the week days), so 400 words total by Friday night.

Monkey, thanks for this thread! I have a feeling this is just what the writer doc ordered.

Alpha Echo
04-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Sure, why not. I can do this.

Justified

Minimum Goal: I'm going to say 500/day during the week. I could do more, but...there's a lot of research involved in this story, though I think most of the research will come in during revision.

Okay...well then, time to write!

My ultimate goal would be to finish by the end of this month so that I can revise my other WIP...but I'm not pushin' it. :D

Christyp
04-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I currently have three books that I'm working on depending on my mood...should I just put all three and the word counts and goals? I'm a Sagitarrius...it's not my fault...really!

Jamesaritchie
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM

The Rules:

Any takers?

Good idea, but it's been my practice for years. It's the old "work first, play later" rule.

CheyElizabeth
04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes yes yes I need this!

I'm currently at 8k and would like to have 50k/the book finished by the end of June.

I already have a goal of 500 words a day, so I'll stick with that.

CheyElizabeth
04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Also, I kind of can't follow the internet rule at work.. Ever since my flash drive conked out and lost all 20k of my other WIP, I now upload my WIP into google documents and have to download it at work (I write during lunch in addition to at home).

However, I won't do any other internet stuff until after I've worked on my novel =)

timewaster
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Any takers?

Yep. I'm on. I am currently at 36,391 of my current WIP (Versipellum) and I want to have finished draft 1 by the 20th April or a little before ie 40k in two weeks.

hester
04-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Yes! YES!

Doing draft 2 of "Dawn of the Chimera" (and yes, that name will change).

Currently at 16,000 words for the rewrite-goal is 50,000 words or thereabouts.

I'll set a daily goal of two hundred words. Doable, right?

thewakingself
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Any takers?

I'll bite!

Current MS wordcount: 88k.
Status: Draft three, with one new (longish) scene to write and three key ones to revise. 20k to line edit. ::weeps::
Daily Goal: 500-1000 words/day; if revising, must finish an entire scene/sequel.
Goal: Out to betas by April 20.

This is great since self-discipline has been slow in coming lately. I always seem to get distrac--ooh, shiny internets!

deserata
04-06-2010, 09:48 PM
OHOHO I NEED THIS SO BAD.

If Only You Were Dead
Rewrite status: 26,924 words.
Goal: 80,000+ words

Daily Goal: 500+, on a bad day 100.
I would *like* to reach my goal by the end of this summer. It's been going on three years and I want to see this thing DONE.

I may be crazy for starting this before the academic year is over, but oh well...

emilycross
04-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh I'm in totally!! I spend waaay too much of my free time on internet and not actually writing. I'm not at a wordcount stage but at a weird rough draft/outlining stage, so:

Title: Dark Shines
Stage: Rough draft/outline

Goal:
This week: Chapter 3 outlined
April - complete outline

Witch_turtle
04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Curses! Old habits die hard. I completely forgot about this, came home on my lunch break, and went right to the internet. Okay, FOR SERIOUS THIS TIME. I am going to complete 500 words of writing or revising before even touching the internet from now on. I'm writing a sticky note and putting it next to my keyboard.

(I never used to be so bad :( writing was the FIRST thing I did in any moment of spare time. I think being in uni has somehow made me lazier!?)

Alpha Echo
04-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Okie dokie - I'm done for the day, and my total is...

...drum roll please...

That'll help make up for not writing on the weekends!

StoryG27
04-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Wow. Good job, Alpha Echo! I don't even expect that for the week. I'll be happy to get that for the month. :D

CheyElizabeth
04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Congrats on the impressive word count Alpha!

I wrote 1000 words on my lunch break! Here's hoping I can add another 1000 tonight.

Renee Collins
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
You read my mind! :D

I'm SO in.

Current word count: 31,000
Goal: Finish first draft by April 30th
Daily requirement: 1,200 words a day. (gulp . . . )

It's going to be a real push, but I have an outline through the end of the book. It's just a matter of pounding it out now.

Good luck to everyone else!!! We can do it!!

hester
04-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Did 1200 words today-I'm feelin' fine! :)

Monkey
04-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Wow, what a great response!

:snoopy: Way to go, Alpha Echo! Our first success story! :snoopy:

:e2cheer: Way to go, CheyElizabeth! That's a hell of a word count for a lunch break! :e2cheer:

:Trophy: Great job, Hester! :Trophy:

My own wordcount now sits at 6835, up from 6397, an improvement of 438 words, way over my minimum goal. So far, so good!

EDIT: For some reason, the first time I read BenBradley's post, I thought he'd actually already written over 500,000 words. I guess the number itself just flabbergasted my motivation-starved mind!

Witch_turtle
04-07-2010, 04:32 AM
I did about 950 words after posting/before returning to the college. Woohoo!! Was hoping to get some more done tonight but as it turns out I must grocery shop and do a history project . . . at least I already went over my new daily goal!

Congrats everyone who's accomplishing things!

CheyElizabeth
04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
My total for yesterday was 1700k! I thought about raising my goal, but this makes up for days like this coming Saturday where I'll be out of town all day and can't write.

GOAL - 500/day
CURRENT - 9600

hester
04-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Great going everyone!!!

StoryG27
04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I knew I needed this thread! I have been soooo stuck for over a month. Not able to get more than a couple hundred words, which is why my goal was only 400 for this week. Well, I was still stuck this morning, but I REALLY wanted to get on AW so, per the rules, I had to at least write a sentence or two, then something amazing happened. . .I wrote 1,610 words!!! That's over my entire weekly goal. I think I'm going to put a link to this thread and my goal and word count in my sig when I have time later today just so it's easier to keep track.
So, here it is so far:
Still of Night
67,938/?????
1,610/ 400 week goal.
:D

Renee Collins
04-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I wrote 1130 words yesterday. Close! But I'll make up for it today.

Too bad I've already broken the first rule by coming here first . . . oops. :D

Monkey
04-08-2010, 12:00 AM
:hooray: WitchTurtle! :hooray:

Great job, StoryGirl! I had a similar experience today, albeit with much less impressive numbers. I sat at my computer, completely unmotivated to write, but figured I'd write "a sentence" so as to be following the rules of this thread before logging in and actually checking the thread. I wrote for a minute, checked my wordcount, and discovered that I'd written 92 words, so I've already--almost accidentally--reached my minimum daily goal. Yay!

Chey, you continue to ROCK. :)

Renee--you're not the only one. I even did it myself, once. Old habits die hard, I guess...but hopefully by the time we've completed our current projects, we'll have developed new, more productive habits. :)

I'm really excited to hear that this thread has helped people meet their goals...and I'm pretty darn happy that it's working for me, too. WOOT!

StoryG27
04-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Great job, StoryGirl! I had a similar experience today, albeit with much less impressive numbers. I sat at my computer, completely unmotivated to write, but figured I'd write "a sentence" so as to be following the rules of this thread before logging in and actually checking the thread. I wrote for a minute, checked my wordcount, and discovered that I'd written 92 words, so I've already--almost accidentally--reached my minimum daily goal. Yay!

YAY! Good job!!!
Yes, the rule about at least writing a sentence before I can get online is working wonders for me. And not setting such tough goals for myself has really helped too. Don't know what I'd have done without the start up of this thread. Thanks Monkey!!!

timewaster
04-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Yeah - this has definitely helped. I got off to a slowish start yesterday with a little over 2k but managed my 4k today. Knackered now. Only 13 more days to go! Thanks for the v helpful kick up the bum.

CheyElizabeth
04-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Woohoo Monkey! That happens to me a lot... I say I'll just finish a paragraph and then I end up writing a page.

My word count for today is right around 1000, I highlighted a paragraph that may or may not be deleted.. After dinner I hope to write some more, but we'll see.

NicoleMD
04-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Woohoo Monkey! That happens to me a lot... I say I'll just finish a paragraph and then I end up writing a page.

That's what I love this challenge so much. All you have to do is open up your novel file and fiddle around and write a sentence or two, but then you end up with so much more!

I think I'm on par for my 500 words a day, though I do allow myself to check my mail and facebook on my phone, since I'm not technically sitting at my computer when I do it. ;)

Nicole

StoryG27
04-08-2010, 06:50 AM
That's what I love this challenge so much. All you have to do is open up your novel file and fiddle around and write a sentence or two, but then you end up with so much more! Exactly, without any pressure to write a huge chunk at a time, the creative juices seem to flow a bit easier.

StoryG27
04-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, this rule of do something, anything to your book before getting online is really helping me out. Today I wrote 1,091 words. I am very satisfied with that, especially since I probably won't have time for the rest of the week to work much on it at all.
So, here it is for today:
Still of Night
69,026/????? (probably 75-80k)
2,701/ 400 week goal.

Alpha Echo
04-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Congrats on the impressive word count Alpha!

Thanks. None yesterday and so far a whole 251. I hope for more before the end of the day!

Alpha Echo
04-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Good job storygirl!

Witch_turtle
04-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Yay! I just revised 1,500 words of chapter 22, which finishes it off. Yesterday I did about 1,400 at the beginning of that chapter. Now I can move on! It's amazing how quick it actually goes when you sit down and just do it. I agree: no pressure to spend hours and hours working to get a lot done is a good thing.

(I still miss the days when I would write from sun up to sun down and get 10K words done. Sigh. So few of such days, so many days of work and school.)

timewaster
04-09-2010, 01:18 AM
(I still miss the days when I would write from sun up to sun down and get 10K words done. Sigh. So few of such days, so many days of work and school.)[/QUOTE]

Wow. I've never managed that much in a day, but I got my 4k done. Let's see if I can keep it up tomorrow.

Monkey
04-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Timewaster,

The idea was to set a goal that was absolutely doable every day, no problem...that way, you have success every day and not a lot pressure, and you can't tell yourself you don't have time or don't feel like it. You don't have to worry about stopping when you hit your minimum--don't do a word count until you run out of steam or out of time. Instead of saying, "I did my four thousand today, *maybe* I can do it again tomorrow," why not set your goal to 2 thousand and achieve your goal every day, sometimes doubling it or even more? This isn't NaNoWriMo; this is about having BIC time every day until the book's done, no matter how long it takes...and to do that, it helps to take some of the pressure off of yourself.

Why not come to the dark side, and join me in setting the bar low? :D

Witch_turtle
04-09-2010, 02:57 AM
(I still miss the days when I would write from sun up to sun down and get 10K words done. Sigh. So few of such days, so many days of work and school.)

Wow. I've never managed that much in a day, but I got my 4k done. Let's see if I can keep it up tomorrow.

It's not easy, but I went through a phase where I somehow did it. It involved a lot of muscle cramps and an extreme lack of a social life. It was also during a time when I wasn't yet in school and didn't have a job, so I had a lot of free time anyway! But still, at 10K a day, I wasn't exactly churning out high-quality writing. I have a sneaking suspicion that's why I'm having such a rough time with edits and rewrites and the whole shebang.

But anyway, I just wrote 2K, which brings my daily total to 3,500! :) I haven't been this productive in a long time.

StoryG27
04-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Good Job Alpha Echo, Timewaster, and Witch_turtle!

The idea was to set a goal that was absolutely doable every day, no problem...that way, you have success every day and not a lot pressure, and you can't tell yourself you don't have time or don't feel like it. And THIS is why it works for me. This is why it is new, as far as goal setting goes, for me.

I wrote only a couple of sentences today, but it's a couple more than I would have written had I not been participating in this. The couple thousand words I was able to manage this week were also because of this thread, and not having ANY excuses not to write at least one or two sentences, and not having any pressure to do more if it didn't flow.

timewaster
04-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Timewaster,

The idea was to set a goal that was absolutely doable every day, no problem...that way, you have success every day and not a lot pressure, and you can't tell yourself you don't have time or don't feel like it. You don't have to worry about stopping when you hit your minimum--don't do a word count until you run out of steam or out of time. Instead of saying, "I did my four thousand today, *maybe* I can do it again tomorrow," why not set your goal to 2 thousand and achieve your goal every day, sometimes doubling it or even more? This isn't NaNoWriMo; this is about having BIC time every day until the book's done, no matter how long it takes...and to do that, it helps to take some of the pressure off of yourself.

Why not come to the dark side, and join me in setting the bar low? :D

Because I have a delivery deadline for this book which is on the tight side and I need to have finished it, revised it and sent it to my agent by the end of the month or May at the latest so I still have time to make any changes if she thinks they are needed : )

I need to set myself challenging goals because I really am a timewaster!

Monkey
04-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Because I have a delivery deadline for this book which is on the tight side and I need to have finished it, revised it and sent it to my agent by the end of the month or May at the latest so I still have time to make any changes if she thinks they are needed : )

I need to set myself challenging goals because I really am a timewaster!

I have to admit, that's a pretty good reason. :D

In that case:
:e2cheer: Write! :e2cheer: Write! :e2cheer: Write! :e2cheer:

And congrats to Witch_Turtle!

NicoleMD
04-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I did 800 words this morning in a little over an hour. What's even better is that I'm excited about my novel again, and have even started outlining the next chapters in my head during any free moment I can get.

Monkey, I'm totally sending you an autographed copy of my book when it's published. ;)
Thanks so much for starting this thread!

Nicole

Monkey
04-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Yay!

So what's your book about?

CheyElizabeth
04-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Checking in before I sign off for the day and go do Friday Night Things. (A movie perhaps? who knows, but I'm finally allowing myself a break from writing, LOL)

I only wrote 500ish words today, but still reached my goal, so I'm happy.

500 today, of 500 goal
Total: 11,626 words

Witch_turtle
04-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Today we had an incredible snow storm blizzard thing that almost made me want to die. So I decided to stay home from school (Pretty sure my car would not have even made it off the street. And as it turns out, one of my professors who flies in from another city could not make it due to the weather, and therefore that class was cancelled. And then there was a power outage, so my other class was cancelled too!)

Anyway, with this unexpected excess of free time I sat down and got a ton of writing done! 5K new words written. I'm pretty proud of that one. I'm going to just say it again . . . this "no-pressure" thing combined with the "Do SOMETHING to your novel before going on the internet" is so very useful.

So with those 5K words I finished writing the *new* ending to my novel. That means I only have one or two more scenes to actually write, and then maybe 15 chapters (out of 23) left to revise! Finally I feel like I'm making some progress!

CheyElizabeth
04-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Woohoo Witch! I love things like that... power outages are our friends lol

NicoleMD
04-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Yay!

So what's your book about?

It's sort of a futuristic paranormal action/adventure set in South Africa with ancient demigods versus humans with newly acquired godlike powers. Or something like that.

Nicole

deserata
04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Guh, I couldn't officially start till now because I forgot about a paper that I hadn't even started the research for. It's done now, and I squeezed out a grand total of 140 words for the WIP.

I've read through the thread and it looks like people are already making leaps and bounds! :D Be proud!!

lucyvp
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I so need to be cheered on because I can be a such a lazy sod. Plus, I have a post count of one and that looks pretty pathetic! So here's post number two - hooray!

Star Crossed: 62,661 out of 75,000.

My daily word target is 1,500, but I'm going to have to slack off for the next couple of days as my daughter is having surgery. While I'm waiting for her while she's in theatre I'll be scribbling notes and chewing my nails.

Monkey
04-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I hope everything goes perfectly, Lucy.

Bushrat
04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh excellent, another way to build up the pressure :)
Rule 1 is kinda harsh though...*whine* *sigh*

Anyway:

(still titleless)
about 62,000 words currently

My goal is to add another 15,000 words or so and to re-write and edit the whole thing until October 15th.
Write those 15,000 words until April 29th
Daily Goal for this month: absolute minimum of 500

Witch_turtle
04-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Wow, I just realized I am *way* closer to being finished my edits than I thought I was. Apparently I have already revised, edited, and polished 14 chapters out of 23. The end is in sight!! It's amazing how motivating that simple knowledge is.

Between yesterday and this morning I revised chapter 19 (Yeah, I'm kind of working backwards). This afternoon i'm not having a very good time, but I'm trying to avoid studying for finals . . . though that might not be a very good idea.

Good luck with everything Lucy. You haven't got far to go before you get to the end! And I hope everything goes well with your daughter. I send well wishes :)

Good luck Bushrat! Try not to think of it as pressure -- think of it as motivation! Yes, there's still the obligation to work on your novel, but as long as you choose a low daily word count (500 is mine as well) then the pressure to get a TON of work done (aka the daunting, looming, intimidating amount of work we know we must do to reach the end) is lifted. Hope it all goes well! :)

lucyvp
04-12-2010, 03:14 AM
I hope everything goes perfectly, Lucy.

Thank you :) She's getting a staple out of her ankle so finger's crossed it is only a day surgery and we'll be home by tonight.

Elizabeth Holloway
04-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Wow! This is a great idea and just what I need to get my butt in gear. I've been dragging my feet with this story and I really need to just get the damned thing down on paper. Thanks for the motivation!

WIP title: Grim
Goal word count: 60K
Current word count: 8,675
Goal word count per week: 1,000

Everyone is doing so well! I can't wait to get started!

*logging off NOW to go write*

Ugawa
04-12-2010, 05:07 AM
This is just what I need. I haven't written anything in almost a month.

Currently WIP and WC: Dangerous Sky/0

Daily goal: 1000 words

x

Bushrat
04-12-2010, 05:29 AM
Good luck Bushrat! Try not to think of it as pressure -- think of it as motivation! Yes, there's still the obligation to work on your novel, but as long as you choose a low daily word count (500 is mine as well) then the pressure to get a TON of work done (aka the daunting, looming, intimidating amount of work we know we must do to reach the end) is lifted. Hope it all goes well! :)

Thanks :) But - I need the pressure...just motivation ain't doing it for me.

Way to go everybody!!! Now I shall go and tackle my 500 something...

Witch_turtle
04-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks :) But - I need the pressure...just motivation ain't doing it for me.

Way to go everybody!!! Now I shall go and tackle my 500 something...

Well in that case . . . consider the pressure turned up on full-blast. Finish the Damn Book!

:)

Layla Nahar
04-12-2010, 05:33 AM
...join me in setting the bar low? :D
:D :D I'm in!

I set my bar real low - 50 words - though its hard to be sure exactly how much I've done because I'm revising, but I am advancing my goal, which is to begin at the beginning, and one by one fill in all the gaps, and transform all the notes-to-self into narrative text - till I get to the end of the story. So, anyway, I now have one whole page, page 1, of unbroken prose narrative. W00t!

thanks so much Monkey, for starting this thread!

LN

Elizabeth Holloway
04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Woo! I started last night with the goal of 200 words for the night and ended up writing 965. I think it may even be closer to 1000 since I added more to the beginning of the chapter.

So, I've already managed to hit my goal of 1000 words for the week. *happy dance*

Awesome! :D

NicoleMD
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Woo! I started last night with the goal of 200 words for the night and ended up writing 965. I think it may even be closer to 1000 since I added more to the beginning of the chapter.

So, I've already managed to hit my goal of 1000 words for the week. *happy dance*

Awesome! :D

Super awesome!

Nicole

CheyElizabeth
04-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Total word count: 12,000
What I wrote this weekend: 0

BUUUUUUUT. Its cool. I'm not worried.. I just had a busy weekend (for the love of god don't read my blog, it'll prove otherwise) and I really needed a break. But I surpassed my wordgoal every day last week so I felt that made up for it =)

I'm getting back on track today, I SHALL meet or exceed my goal of 500 today.

Lucy, I hope your daughter is doing well!

And good luck to everyone!

Monkey
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
:partyguy: Way to go, Beth! :partyguy:

My own wordcount has improved by 1686 since this thread started, with a goal of just 50 words/day...so I'm way over my minimum. I still want to get some serious writing in soon--it would take quite a while to write an entire novel this way--but it sure beats saying, "I don't have time," and it proves to me that yes, I DO have time.

And it's been fun, too, writing without the self-imposed pressure to write a large chunk. My natural rythem seems to be to write 75-100 words and then stop to revise, think of what comes next, or whatever, so since this thread started, I've been doing that before logging in to the 'net each time. I think this is going to be a permanent habit of mine. :) And who knows? Maybe I can start stretching that word count, and get to where I do two or three hundred words each time, or even more. Mixing that with regular writing time would definitely help me finish more books!

Devil Ledbetter
04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Dare I join this? I'm 7,000-some words into the second draft of my 55,000 NaNo manuscript and I need something to push me a lot harder.

hester
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey y'all! Glad this thread is still going strong...

I slacked off all weekend (argh!!) but I'm determined to get back into the swing-I was averaging slightly over a thousand words a day last week.

Must...work...harder :)

Renee Collins
04-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Good luck to the new joinees (is that a word?) And to the rest: new week, new resolve! :)

As for me, I'm going to be in some trouble to meet today's word count. Maybe even tomorrow's. I've hit a bit of a plot problem! I need to think my way out of this corner before I can write any new words.

Or should I just plow forward with a passable solution, and then make it better in the editing process?

Hmmmm . . .

Witch_turtle
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I hope everyone uses this new week to the best of their ability! As for me, I think it may be less productive than last week, simply due to the fact that final exams are coming up and I have realized I MUST force myself to study before allowing myself to write.

But I've been poring over notes since this morning, and now I'm going to take a break to get some revising done.

Good luck to everyone!

Monkey
04-13-2010, 05:04 AM
You should definitely dare, Devil. :D

The idea is to set a goal that you can meet easily, then pat yourself on the back for meeting it. Works great. :P The "must write before logging into the internet, each and every time" thing has been a real boon for me, too.

Renee:

I ran into a similar problem. I just wrote, in blue, something like, "MC needs to get this done and this needs to happen" and then continued on. I even counted the words in blue (I'm shameless that way).

deserata
04-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Got about 626 words since yesterday. Feels great to be finally productive again!

Elizabeth Holloway
04-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Woo! You go, Deserata.

CheyElizabeth
04-13-2010, 07:10 AM
The day has come and gone, and I've written 958 words.

Daily goal - 500
Total - 13,300

Woo!

Bushrat
04-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Oh, I'm so glad to see there's some other slackers :) But that was the weekend, people, now let's pull up our socks!!

After banging my head against the keyboard, trying to get a chapter done or at least half-assed started and writing a whopping 400 words over 2 days, I abandoned the bloody thing (the chapter, not the book). Squeezed out about 700 words for a different chapter, but at least those words I'm actually happy with.

So - 3 days and 1,300 words to show for it...I guess the only way is up :)

triceretops
04-13-2010, 08:38 AM
I'll abide by this. Easy. I think I'm doing it already, and I do belong to the WPR. But...

Screamcatcher (A YA fantasy/thriller)
Goal = at least 60,000
Current word count = 44,500

I want this thing done within three weeks, no questions asked.

Tri--red-shifting to continue...

Monkey
04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Just passed 10,000 words! 1/6th of the way there!

hester
04-13-2010, 10:44 PM
WOOT! Go Monkey! :)

triceretops
04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
47,610 and counting....

Tri

Monkey
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
:Sun: 2,000 words! Not bad, Tri! :Sun:

And another thousand for me! :snoopy:

emilycross
04-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Outlined chapter 3 - yay. working on character profiles!

triceretops
04-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Actually, 3,000. But, yah, monkey--we be bustin' a move today. I'm stilling nailing it.

Good luck to all.

Tri

shakeysix
04-14-2010, 12:54 AM
okay--okay. i'll start with the easiest first--a short story that i have been working on for more than a year. i am within a page or two of finishing it. i moved to a new house and town and sort of lost interest. it is worth finishing though. grading papers and lesson plans come first but i do have mindless tv time i could use to finish this. i won't check in until i have a solid ending. the story is titled "duane and the three ursulas"-- adios AW--s6

semmie
04-14-2010, 01:18 AM
I just wrote, in blue, something like, "MC needs to get this done and this needs to happen" and then continued on. I even counted the words in blue (I'm shameless that way).
I do that all the time. It keeps me focused on writing without chasing bunnies everywhere in attempt to figure out how that particular scene must play out.

So. I'm late in joining the party, but...can I still play?! I'm so excited about this challenge!

Title: The Legend of Ae.
Current: 32,533 words.
Goal: 60,000 words.

Daily Goal: 1,500 words.

Totally doable. Right?

triceretops
04-14-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm so glad to see others that presumably have YA books and are shooting for 60,000. This is my second YA. My first was about 100,000, and I was told that it didn't have to be that long. My four MC characters range in age from 16-20.

Tri

emilycross
04-14-2010, 02:07 AM
Wrote 400 words tonight too - complete crap but hey at least it's something on paper :)

Monkey
04-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Yay, Shakeysix, you're back! I was starting to wonder about ya. ;)

Ellis:
Of course you can join--just jump right in! Word count's a little high, though. :D

EmilyCross, good to see you back, too, and with an accomplishment, no less. :)

And I got another thousand words, making today my most productive in many months. WOOT!

emilycross
04-14-2010, 02:26 AM
Well done Monkey! and thank you for the well deserved poke :)

CheyElizabeth
04-14-2010, 06:20 AM
UGhhh I've only written 393 words tonight! I absolutely MUST make my goal tonight, and I'm hoping to break into the 14k's by the end of the night.

I'm going to do what Bushrat did and skip this chapter, start writing the next. Maybe that will get my creative juices flowing.

triceretops
04-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Just hit 49,560. Damn, I'm pushing for fifty grand and I'm going to do it!

Tri

CheyElizabeth
04-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Good work, Tri!

GUESS WHAT!?

So I posted my update up there ^ ten minutes ago, and then I started writing again and am magically at 700 words now.

Woohoo!

This thread works!

Bushrat
04-14-2010, 06:37 AM
740 today. God, it's like squeezing blood from a stone.

Way to go Monkey and Tri :hooray: (I want to get so much done too *whine* Can you lend me your brains?)

Chey and you other fellow slow pokes, we'll get those fast scribblers yet :Hug2: We'll be a herd of dark horses, running them down!

Bushrat
04-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Good work, Tri!

GUESS WHAT!?

So I posted my update up there ^ ten minutes ago, and then I started writing again and am magically at 700 words now.

Woohoo!

This thread works!

*gasp*

LaurieD
04-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Just saw this thread and boy do I need this...

I'll be back probably next week with my big wip and its goals - need to finish the edits on a short first.

CheyElizabeth
04-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Going to bed now - total word count for the day: 1,192

Goal: 500/day
Total: 14,407

I LOVE this thread. It totally motivates me.

semmie
04-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Ellis:
Of course you can join--just jump right in! Word count's a little high, though. :D
You mean my goal? Fine. Lowering the bar to 500, just to make sure I get SOMEthing done each day. :P

triceretops
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Whew...hit that tote and over. But man, I'm bushed. 50,179. I think this is a record for me today. About 5,700. I know I've done that in a week.

But yes, this does work. I've been wondering about that club 100 thingy too.

N' all.

Tri

DMarie84
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
May I join in this challenge?

I've been doing something called Fast Draft that I just started on Monday. You're supposed to do a ridiculous amount each day (like 5K) for two weeks but my brain turns to mashed potatoes long before that so I set the goal of 2-3K per day for myself.

So far so good; yesterday I managed around 4K (half of those words were from a scene in an old draft) and today a little over 3K. I doubt I'll be able to keep this up for longer than a week or two.

Title: The Scarlet Daughter
Word Count: 12,107
Goal: 80-85K

Daily goal: Aiming for 2K per day. We'll see how long I can keep that up...

Thanks for making this thread! I find it's a lot easier for me to keep up with the writing with support like this :)

DMarie84
04-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Whew...hit that tote and over. But man, I'm bushed. 50,179. I think this is a record for me today. About 5,700. I know I've done that in a week.

But yes, this does work. I've been wondering about that club 100 thingy too.

N' all.

Tri

Over 5K in a day?! I think the most I've ever done in a day was about 4500! Great job!

triceretops
04-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Yeah, but Dmarie, if you've been hitting three and four k you've got me beat, because I usually only last for two-grand. But I find if I'm off the internet and only go on as a reward for 10 mintues, well, that works.

Tri

Bushrat
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Yay! Went back to work on the MS and got another 1,012 words done! And even a passage that works really well :)
Love you guys!

emilycross
04-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Wahooooo congrats to everyone who hit their targets!! and to those who didn't to but got some words done :)

:hooray:

StoryG27
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well with this challenge.

I'm getting to this thread a bit late in the week, but that's because I haven't done anything with writing yet this week. I want to get 1,500 words this week (by Friday, I hope). Today, before getting on here to play, I wrote 840 words. So it is a decent start, for me.

Still of Night
69,865/ 75kish
840/1500 Week's goal

Elizabeth Holloway
04-14-2010, 05:27 PM
So, last night was really hard for me. I kept falling asleep. (I work nights, so my writing time is during the graveyard shift ;-)) After re-reading the same sentence at least 100 times, I gave up and took a nap.

I only wrote 409 words, but that is still twice as many as my goal. So, I feel good about it. I really wanted to get chapter 5 done, though. Oh well. It's almost done.

Damn you sleepiness...*shakes fist at sky* Damn YOOOOOUUUUU!!!!

hester
04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Got about 1,000 done yesterday-plowing through :)

Monkey
04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Tri, Yesterday ROCKED. Let's do that again ASAP!

:e2woo: Chey, Hester, and Storygirl :e2woo:
.............Congrats on making so much progress!

Bushrat, check my previous posts. Until yesterday, I was only getting 50 to maybe a few hundred words each day. But having a cheering section, having people to cheer on, and having the pressure of "putting it all out there" like this is starting to build a certain amount of momentum. I'm way excited about writing today! And congrats on meeting your goal!

LaurieD and DMarie, Welcome aboard! Don't push too hard; enjoy yourself, and the rest will follow!

DMarie84
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Yeah, but Dmarie, if you've been hitting three and four k you've got me beat, because I usually only last for two-grand. But I find if I'm off the internet and only go on as a reward for 10 mintues, well, that works.

Tri

Normally that's as long as I last. The last few days have been somewhat of a fluke. But I'm glad for it! We'll see what today brings...

Kateness
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Okay.

f'reals I need to get this stupid book done. I'm 50k in.

So...

Title: Burning Eden
Current word count: 51,009
Projected word count: 85-100k
Daily goal: 2,000 words.

Let's see if this works. Because I can't start fixing the beginning until I've written the end.

Monkey
04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
It's been a busy day, but I've managed a thousand words! I've probably used all the spare time I'll be able to muster, but I'm quite happy with my word count--just sorry I have to stop!

lucidzfl
04-14-2010, 09:52 PM
I haven't started the new WIP yet. I start outlining it tomorrow night, and writing Friday. Can I join?

I don't set wordcount goals for myself any more, I set time goals. Its easier. But I average 3200 a night.

Witch_turtle
04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
*sigh*

Well, last night I did a bit of work, revised about a page and a half. Not bad, not bad. I had classes all day and was at school from 8am until almost 6pm, so you bet I was tired and not in the mood to work. But, today I have the afternoon off!

I am going to write. And then I am going to STUDY. I must. I must I must I must. (It's so hard to find the will . . . sigh).

Congrats to everyone who's getting lots of work done!

CheyElizabeth
04-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Congrats Monkey!

Good luck Witch, and welcome Lucid!

I wrote 1200 words on my lunch break and am hoping for another 500+ tonight.

TITLE: DEADBEAT
CURRENT: 15,600
PROJECTED: 55K

triceretops
04-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Crap, I have a lot of farm/property work to do today, so I'm juggling my time between writing and slave labor. I am managing to splash some ink though. Not like yesterday.

Tri

emilycross
04-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Spent all day reading and writing - non fiction stuff for work, trying to get some words down before I head to bed!

Elizabeth Holloway
04-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Woo! Everyone is doing so well!
<-- Is proud... :D

lucyvp
04-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Will someone please slap me up side of the head?! Since joining this challenge last weekend I haven't written a word. To be fair, my daughter had surgery on Monday (went well), and then my friend had a hospital appointment the next day and asked me to watch her little daughter while she went in, so those days were out. Yesterday I had the whole day off and procrastinated by making someone a blog template. Today I have an I.T. course to attend. If I don't write in the next few days you have my permission to boot me up the backside and give me a stern talking to!

Witch_turtle
04-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Will someone please slap me up side of the head?! Since joining this challenge last weekend I haven't written a word. To be fair, my daughter had surgery on Monday (went well), and then my friend had a hospital appointment the next day and asked me to watch her little daughter while she went in, so those days were out. Yesterday I had the whole day off and procrastinated by making someone a blog template. Today I have an I.T. course to attend. If I don't write in the next few days you have my permission to boot me up the backside and give me a stern talking to!

:mad: Get writing!!! Or . . . else!!!

You have been warned ;)

eeee I'm excited. I just finished revising another chapter. I also realized all my chapters were misnumbered, because for some reason I forgot about the number seven. Hey, I'm a writer, not a mathematician :D Anyway, that means I only have 22 chapters in total, not 23. That also means I only have 6 and 1/2 chapters left to go!!

Bushrat
04-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Yessss...1,342 today, the majority of which are for the chapter that refused to be written on the weekend :hooray: Not sure how to go about the rest of the chapter but it's looking a lot better than it did this morning.

Lucy, if you don't get at least a liiiiittle tiny bit done, I shall threaten you with the extremely stinky blanket of my old incontinent dog :evil

xXFireSpiritXx
04-15-2010, 03:15 AM
I shall be joining this thread to finish my current WIP. I have been dragging out the second draft for months. Yes, I did throw away about 60% of the first draft, but it is time to get this baby finished. I hate how one moment I am writing and the next I'm doing a Facebook quiz wondering WTF?

Monkey
04-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Welcome, Lucid!

:welcome:

Welcome FireSpirit!

Go Chey! Your word counts are a lot more impressive than you seem to think. :)

Tri: you and me both! I spent a lot of time loading/unloading the truck today, driving like crazy, and doing farm stuff and other errands. But hey, I'm finally done for a while, and even got about fifty words in before logging on...maybe I'll get a couple hundred more before it's back to the grind. ;)

Lucy: Just remember to write before you log into the net. It can be a few words or a single sentence, but something every time. You aren't doing this right now, or you couldn't have posted AND not written anything yet, so that makes you a RULES BREAKER. Here is your punishment:
:e2moon::whip:
Now don't do it again!

(Actually, feel free to alter the rules however you want. But it does help to choose an activity and say, "I have to write before I do this". And it helps if the activity is something you do every day--especially if it's more than once a day--and for me, at least, it helps if it's computer based. That way, I'm at the computer already. No excuses. :) )

(Something about this thread, I just *have* to smiley it up!)

DMarie84
04-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Got 2505 written, in between trips to the vet and two of my TV shows on this evening. Granted this section is uber crappy but that's for the editing process...

Tomorrow though I'll be lucky if I hit 1K. I have crit group and chapters to still go over, as well as dinner with the in-laws right before it. I generally don't get home from crit group until 9:30 or so and I may only get 500 in there. If it's a slow day at work, I can crank out about 700. So here's to 1K tomorrow :)

deserata
04-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Only 200-ish words today, and I have a huge paper due Friday. Boo.

triceretops
04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Hit 52,700, so that's a 2,500 word jump. Not as much as I wanted, but I got tied up babysitting and checking on the property.

Tri

StoryG27
04-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow Tri, great job!

Lucy, a child having surgery is a pretty good excuse to slack on writing. I'm glad all went well, now write! :D As per the rules of this thread, you have to write at least a sentence or two before you even get online. Anyone can do that, one sentence, c'mon. Now, good luck, and I want to hear that you wrote some, even if it was just ten words, next time you visit the thread.

Congrats to all and welcome Lucid!

I only wrote 354 words today, but that's 354 words more than I would have written had I not joined this thread. I wasn't in a writing mood, have a million and one things to do, but I wanted to get on AW, so I had to write, so I am pleased with 354 words. Hopefully, I'll write a bit more later today also, but here it is so far:

Still of Night
70,219/75k ish (I think)
1194/1500 weekly goal

Monkey
04-15-2010, 04:57 PM
:e2bear: Yay, DMarie! Congrats on over 2,500 words, and on making time to write even though you're so busy today! :e2bear:

Deserata: 200 words is fine! You got something done, right? I'd take 200 over zero any day! :hooray: Go Deserata! :hooray:

And way to go, Tri! You've been kicking much butt. :D

I got a little more done yesterday, just a couple hundred words, but that brought my total up to about 13,300. Considering that this thread started a week ago, and up to that point I had written 6-thousand-something words over a period of months, I'm very happy!

bglashbrooks
04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Can I join the party? :)

My WIP is a romantic suspense "Watching"
I am at 76160 revised words of approximately 90,000.

My goal is 1000 words per day! (Extremely doable I think since I write full time...if it's not, I need smacked!)

triceretops
04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Opened up file and splashed a paragraph. Agent emailed and said she wanted to see this book and a synopsis as soon as it's finished. YA is blistering hot right now and she knows where to send it. Happy day!

Tri

Monkey
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
DEFINITELY happy day, Tri!

NicoleMD
04-16-2010, 02:05 AM
I just passed the 5000 word mark since starting last week. That's halfway to my goal!

Yay me! Yay everybody!

Nicole

triceretops
04-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Closing in on 53,000. About 7,000 more to go. Um, that's only a short story. I can do this.

Tri

lucyvp
04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
You guys are good! Congrats to everyone who's managed to stick to their target. I've been flogged and admonished and I still haven't even opened up my writing program lol. I'll do it tonight when my kids go to their dad's place for the weekend. Then I'll have NO excuses. :)

xXFireSpiritXx
04-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Last night I realized the previous chapter ruined certain plot threads for my final act of the manuscript. I brought a character along that should have been killed. Ugh, so after tearing the chapter apart and pasting it back together all is well....I think.

StoryG27
04-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome bglashbrooks!

Sorry to hear that, FireSpirit. Glad you got it all worked out.

Tir, Monkey, you two rock, like always. :D

As for me, I made my weekly goal, just barely, and just in time, but it counts and I am thrilled.

Still of Night
70,871/ 75k (ish)
1501/1500 weekly goal. YEA!

san_remo_ave
04-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Oooh! I'd like to join in, please. I finished requested revisions and resubbed my short, so I can focus on finishing up my WIP (which is, sadly, my Nano project...)

Running From Fate
68463/90k
My goal will be 1500 a week

Monkey
04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Welcome, Bglashbrooks!

Welcome, San_Remo_Ave!

Congrats, Nicole and Storygirl!

FireSpirit: At least you caught it early, right? That'll make revision sooo much easier.

and Lucy, I wrote about four silly replies here, at least five of them in bad taste. :tongue Actually, I just wish you the best in actually getting some writing time in--I know things have been hectic for you lately..

Myself, I just crossed 14,000, but barely; yesterday was slow and today probably will be, too.

Best of luck to all of you who haven't chimed in yet!
:e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer: We're cheering for you! :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

DMarie84
04-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Forgot to update yesterday!

Managed to cross 3K but much of that was recycled words from a previous draft. However it's still part of this draft so it counts :) Today I have to go through and fix a few of the scenes and add a little more to them as they are quite abrupt now. I know I should just move on but I need to write the scene before I forget about it.

triceretops
04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Got a brilliant idea for a twist ending, filling with a ton emotion. I'll have to back-peddle and insert it. Now standing at 54,500.

tri

Bushrat
04-17-2010, 07:43 AM
*sneaks in and looks around*

"Hello? HELLO???"

Getting kinda quiet in here...what's up, are you guys done?!

As for me...ehm...did write 1,000 something yesterday and today, but not on my book. Shame, shame.

*ducks out again*

Elizabeth Holloway
04-17-2010, 08:10 AM
I really wish I could get on here and say I've been writing my butt off, but I'd be lying. I've been WORKING my butt off... at my actual job...you know, the one that pays me. Oh well. I'm hoping to get some writing done over the weekend.

benbradley
04-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Did someone say something?

Mom'sWrite
04-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm wondering why all the writing I do at work as a technical writer doesn't count as writing. Therefore, I've decided to incorporate quotes from my WIP into whatever manual I happen to be working on. At least, I know the developers (the ones who wouldn't be caught dead reading one of my manuals) will scan them looking for the naughty bits. ;)

Monkey
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Congrats, DMarie!

I'm happy for you, Tri!

And Bushrat, I'm shaking my finger at you. Really I am.

Welcome, Mom'sWrite!
You could count each technical manual as a book, or you could just have a proposed word count for the day, regardless of what it's on. Whatever works. As I said up thread, everyone can modify the "rules" however they want to fit their own needs. And really, other than a couple of writing-jump-starter ideas, this thread is really just a place to cheer each other on. Your tech writing IS writing, and perfectly cheer-able.

Everyone, you'll have to forgive my lack of smiley's and low word count--I'm siiiiiiiick, and therefore lacking in enthusiasm. But at least I can meet my minimum word count, darn it! Way to go, low expectations!

triceretops
04-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Left off at 55,400. Not heading back in, waist deep.

Tri

Witch_turtle
04-17-2010, 11:23 PM
UGHH

I haven't updated here in the past 2 days because I haven't written or revised anything in 2 days. Had two full days at school, plus created a "study schedule" for myself, because I knew if I didn't set some goals in *that* area I would never get it done and then I would fail all 5 of my exams.

I'm also feeling a little discourage, since I discovered a chapter that I don't like at all, have never been able to get right, and dread rewriting yet again. I just don't know!! *cries* Also, the rest of my chapters are all things needing to be rewritten, so it's a bit daunting. I think I need to reaffirm my no-pressure mindset. Help!

I did just fiddle around with a few sentences before coming here. But I'm afraid it's not going well :(

Bushrat
04-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Oh Witch, you've come already so far with your book! You have a first draft and that's great. The revising and rewriting is a real pain, but you already have all the material to work with. Some days (weeks, months...) just have that stuck-in-molasses feel to them.
Maybe you can find a couple chapters you really like, that get you going, and work on those when things just won't flow. And save the nasty chapter for a more inspired time. Also, you can hack away at the nasty one - fifty words here, fifty there.

Seems like quite a few of us, including me, have a chapter that doesn't want to come together...

It was hard going here today, squeezed out 503 words. Like passing kidney stones.

Monkey
04-18-2010, 04:42 AM
If your rough draft is complete but you're having trouble with the edits, then maybe you need to do as Uncle Jim suggests and let your ms "age" for a while. In other words, shelve it. You might just be too close to the material right now.

On the other hand, could this help you grow as a writer? Maybe a beta or SYW could help you pin down whats bugging you and set you on the right track to fixing it.

And, as a final option, and one I've chosen several times, you could say, "YAY! I completed this novel, learned a lot from the experience, and am now a better writer than when I started!" and then shelve the actual book as no longer being the best you are capable of. Later, if you feel the need, you can come back and fix the novel.

There really isn't any pressure here. The novel has already been valuable to you as experience, and through anything it taught you about the writing process. Now, all you have to do is decide if you want to keep revising it. Does it have more to teach (my guess is yes), might it be publishable at some point in the future?

You don't have to answer those questions right away. If your rough draft is finished, you've already completed the challenge. :)

ETA: (Please don't take that as a suggestion for you to leave the thread)

NicoleMD
04-18-2010, 07:07 AM
I got 900 words today. Of course I also had to delete 300 words of crap I wrote yesterday, but overall, I still came out ahead of my 500 word a day goal. Plus I wrote a blog entry and submitted a few short stories. Pretty productive day for me. :)

Nicole

benbradley
04-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I added 200+ words to my damn book this evening. I would have added more if I hadn't been fiddling with wifi trying to get it to work without the ATT pay thing. I had just eaten a salad across the parking lot at Chik-Fil-A where I had used their free wifi for a while. I could see that connection in Starbucks but never could connect to it there.

Of course if I HAD connected I would have written maybe 50 words in my DAMWIP and at least 500 words in forum posts...

Jamie Stone
04-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Come By The Hills
2,874 words

Daily Goal: 500 words
Long-Term Goal: 63,500 words by August 23
(500 words/day x 127 days)

It sounds really do-able at this rate. =D I better hop to it!

Kateness
04-18-2010, 09:11 AM
these past two days have been exceptional...total of 14,000 words

NicoleMD
04-18-2010, 05:33 PM

Wow! Impressive. Nice going. :)

Nicole

Witch_turtle
04-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks Monkey and Bushrat for the words of encouragement and advice :)

I did let this manuscript sit for a couple months before I started doing my revisions. Also, I have actually written 3 other novels and 2 "half" novels over the past 9 years, all of which were those great teaching/practice stories that were fun experiences but that I never took further than that. This is the first one I started with the intent to publish, and that goal hasn't changed :). I actually plan on hooking up with some real beta readers once this draft is finished. I only have 5 more chapters!

After my despairing post yesterday I took a breath and realized I had to get organized. So I separated out the chapters that need to be redone, wrote out a "current" outline of what they are, and then a detailed outline of what they need to be. Just that has already made the task seem far less daunting. Then I abandoned my computer, took a notebook outside (FINALLY we are having nice weather!) and started to write that nasty chapter fresh -- I realized it wasn't flowing well in terms of writing because the "plot" of that chapter just wasn't right, so I changed that up too. The act of writing by hand forces me to slow down and focus on smaller chunks. No pressure :)

And I know most people here (maybe even everyone else) are doing the challenge in order to get their first draft written, and even though I don't fit in that category, I think the rules are good for me too. I'm still "Finishing" the damn book, right? Just a different phase of it. I also plan on sticking around once this is done and I start writing my brand new WIP, which is based on an old idea and has been brewing around in my brain lately :)

So just to keep track:
17/22 Chapters Complete
19K words left to revise!
Goal: 500 words per day minimum
I think originally I said I wanted to be done by May 1, but I forgot to take into account that the last two weeks of April are final exams. It's potentially possible, but I don't want to set it in stone or else I'll be disappointed if I don't reach it. So I'm going to extend to June 1 as my absolute must-be-finished date. Still am pretty confident I'll be done before then, but, best to keep it low-pressure :)

Christine N.
04-18-2010, 11:30 PM
The semester is wrapping up, so I've had more time.

Currently the WIP, Smoke and Mirrors, a historical fantasy/romance with bits of steampunk, is up just over 84,000 words. My goal originally was 85K, but there are still bits to wrap up, so I'm guessing closer to 87K.

I wrote 1100 words yesterday and am up to nearly 700 today. Hopefully I'll finish by the end of May. I've been revising and polishing as I go, so this will mean nearly DONE done, except for the last few chapters that need to cook and a run through with the crit partner.

I hope to have it submission ready by September, fourteen months after I wrote the first word.

Monkey
04-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Great job, Nicole!

Ben: Sometimes no internet can be a good thing.

Welcome, Jamie Stone!

Kateness, that's AMAZING, you kicked some serious WIP butt!

WitchTurtle: I'm glad you found a solution that's working for you, and glad to hear that you're sticking this one out! And yes, you are still "finishing the damn book". :)

Best of luck, Christine. Your goal sounds doable, and I bet you'll make it, no problem.

I'm still siiiick, but still pluggin away, too...182 words before I logged into the 'net today.

triceretops
04-19-2010, 12:17 AM

That's stunning! I'm nearing my end at the moment, but it might drag out for another very small chapter.

Tri

Sassy3421
04-19-2010, 12:30 AM
hey everyone! :hi: well I'm new to this thread, I'm not to AW. this seems like an encouraging thread to be a part of.

seeing as I wrote 2200 words today, I've adhered to the first rule of the tread :)

I'm currently working on my 4th novel - third in my mystery series.

Title of WIP: Sacrifice
Word Count goal: approx 85-90k for finished first draft
Currently at: 58k
Daily Target: min of 500 words
Goal Date for First Draft: June 1, 2010

Witch_turtle
04-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks Monkey! You're so encouraging. And welcome to the challenge, Sassy

Just a quick update: Did about 800 words yesterday and just finished getting down 750ish today. Phew, I feel better about myself now. Keeping on track despite difficulties!

Bushrat
04-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Yay Witch :) I'm so happy you kept at it and even got a handle on it! That is so cool. Way to go!!

Kateness, that word count is almost scary!! Holy smokes!

Looks like we're all doing pretty good, all things considered :)

I wrote another 400 something last night and now I'm totally on a roll (well, by my standards...) - 1,243 today already and getting back to it now.

Hi Sassy :welcome: Another Canuck, excellent :D

Layla Nahar
04-19-2010, 05:03 AM
Hi -

Posting my progress w/ finishing my damn WIP. I write in the evenings on Sun - Thurs, & I got back to it tonight - I picked up at the next gap that I had needed to fill. I wrote just shy of 200 words. i also moved a paragraph to a better location, though I will have to go back & fix up how it fits in.

I also posted my WIP to the SYW. Boy. It was humbling. i was so sure I was a genius ...

anyway, I'm looking foward to doing the next little bit tomorrow, & wish everybody posting on this thread the best of luck finishing the damn book

LN

Monkey
04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Welcome, Sassy!

And I'm really glad to hear the rest of you are still at it, making progress and getting your BIC time in. :)

CheyElizabeth
04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I haven't been around for a couple days, because I didn't deserve to! But I wrote 700 words last night, so I'm back on track hopefully.

Renee Collins
04-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Sounds like you guys are all doing great! Me too! :D That's why I haven't been around as much lately. If you can believe it, I'm actually coming down the home stretch of my novel. I should finish tonight or tomorrow.

I've clocked 2500 words today already, and I don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. I'm at that exciting, final "battle," so the words are flying. Woo hoo!

Monkey
04-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Wow, Renee, you could be the first to complete the challenge!

Tri's in the running, too, though, so ya better hurry! ;)

Sassy3421
04-20-2010, 04:26 AM
thanks for the welcomes everyone! glad to be here :)

well I wrote 2183 today - not bad considering that was before work and during my half hour lunch. And somewhere I lost count because my current WIP is sitting at 61k -so I'm even closer than I thought.

Renee - great stuff! I love it when a novel's wrapping up, it's pretty near impossible to pull yourself away from it!

triceretops
04-20-2010, 04:27 AM
Uh, oh. I'm in my final battle too. But dog-gone it, I think I need another small chapter to tie things up. I'm at 59,700 right now, 300 words away from my goal/estimate. So, Renee, if you're on fire, you fly down that home stretch. Me, I'm a tinsy bit blocked, but I'll get there.

Tri

NicoleMD
04-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Shoot! Nobody told me there was a prize for winning! Must write faster!!!

Nicole

Monkey
04-20-2010, 06:19 AM
LOL, no, no prizes, but lots of cheering!

Everyone who finishes a WIP deserves a good pat on the back, and I'm just excited that someone who's taking the challenge is getting there. Several someones, even!

ETA: That's a fantastic amount of words for that amount of time, Sassy! You rock!

Layla Nahar
04-20-2010, 06:25 AM
did 91 words tonight

Chris P
04-20-2010, 06:47 AM
"Road from Khufu to Koumba," contemporary travel adventure. Cutting down to reasonable size (First draft: 230K. Second draft: 200K. Shortened draft: currently 180K. Rearranged draft: currently 114K).

Cut about 500 words today; I'll start keeping better track.

Monkey
04-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Way to go, Layla!

And Chris, wow. Congrats for writing over 200 thousand words with a coherent beginning, middle and end. That's quite an achievement! Welcome to the challenge...even if you are going in reverse! :D

Chris P
04-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Way to go, Layla!

And Chris, wow. Congrats for writing over 200 thousand words with a coherent beginning, middle and end. That's quite an achievement! Welcome to the challenge...even if you are going in reverse! :D

It does feel strange "unwriting" a book! I've eliminated 1.5 average novels from the first draft (too bad I can't use the excised material for a new MS!). Despite my initial doubts, it is a stronger book. I've learned as much unwriting as I did writing.

Renee Collins
04-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I FINISHED THE DAMN NOVEL!!

:hooray: :partyguy: :banana:

It's 1 a.m. here, but I'm feeling good. :D

Thanks to all the support I got here, as well as the much needed swift kick in the pants! I'm here to tell you the program works! *wipes a grateful tear*

Seriously though, I can't believe I finished so fast. Granted, the novel ended up being about 10,000 words shorter than I expected. I'm sure that helped. But still, I'm happy.

Good luck to all of you guys! Tri, you're so close! You can do it. All of you can! :)

Layla Nahar
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Congratulations X3 - at least!!!

That is great news, and very inspiring!

- Thank you Monkey for your kind words and for this awesome thread

LN

NicoleMD
04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
:hooray::snoopy::banana::Jump::Clap:

Awesome on finishing! Congrats!

Now you can go on to be the spokesperson for the Challenge!

Nicole

Chris P
04-20-2010, 05:49 PM

It's 1 a.m. here, but I'm feeling good. :D

Thanks to all the support I got here, as well as the much needed swift kick in the pants! I'm here to tell you the program works! *wipes a grateful tear*

Seriously though, I can't believe I finished so fast. Granted, the novel ended up being about 10,000 words shorter than I expected. I'm sure that helped. But still, I'm happy.

Good luck to all of you guys! Tri, you're so close! You can do it. All of you can! :)

Woo hoo! That's awesome!

emilycross
04-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Wahhhooooo Congratulations!!

That's Brilliant!

Chris P
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Cut another 200 words on my lunch break. I'd be happy to give them to those of you trying to add words, but you wouldn't want them. They're all "was -ing" verbs, adverbs and redundant dialog tags.

Witch_turtle
04-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Congratulations Renee!!!!!!!!! Ahhh reading your post filled me up with nostalgia for that feeling of finally finishing a manuscript. It's inspirational! I really want to get to work now and snatch that feeling for myself :D

Sadly didn't get anything done yesterday, but I just started working again (only about 100 words so far), and I plan to continue and get lots done today!

Power to the challengers!

emilycross
04-20-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm motivated now to do some work :) that and i'm trying to avoid doing other work

aw now procrastination is helping me write mwahahahahaha

Sassy3421
04-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Emilycross - procrastination - that's how I work! lol
And congrats Renee :)

706 words today

triceretops
04-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Just hit 61,121. The major scene is not over yet, so this will go a bit more. I'm just glad I'm closing in on it. Good luck to the rest who have words to splash. Steal your time, if you have to. It'll get done.

Tri

thewakingself
04-21-2010, 04:48 AM

Whoo-hoo--congrats! Way to go!

And congrats to everyone else on target and who's banging out the words!

My goal date came and will soon be gone. But I still haven't finished the third draft of my Never Ending MS of Doom. I am, however, hitting my average words per day, so that's something.

And it's all good. Middle of next week, I should hit my goal. I'm still plugging along in edits without getting [too] distracted. I just figure I'm slow, is all. Must be the Southern in me. ;D

roonil_wazlib
04-21-2010, 05:55 AM
You know, I think this thread may be just the thing I need to get my butt in gear on my novel. I managed almost 40k in a couple of months, but then the holidays came around and I became unbearably lazy. Ha. So I'm giving this a shot!

Mercy Mines, Historical/Western novel, currently at 38k and aiming for 120k for the finished product. I don't want to put a target on my daily word count because I'm one of those people who never EVER manages to make it there, so I'm going to say 100 words a day, 700 a week as a minimum. I'd LIKE to clock in at 1k a day because typing at 80 wpm should leave me with no excuse NOT to, but we'll see.

Monkey
04-21-2010, 06:48 AM
.....................Way to go, Renee!
...........:TheWave:
:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:

And yay for the rest of us, too; it sounds like we're all making progress, and hitting our goals, more or less. :D

Tri, I expect you to be next, you know. :tongue

TheWakingSelf: hanging in there is what it's all about. You're well on your way to finishing, and that's fantastic!

And Roonil: :welcome:

Chris P
04-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Another 500 words cut this evening. I haven't refigured the word count in a while, but we're getting to something of workable length here, and I'm about halfway through.

Roonil: Welcome to this thread! You are exactly right; having some accountability is just what the doctor ordered for me. I'm cutting down my bloated novel, and I've cut about 1000 words in the last two days. I nearly trunked the novel about three weeks ago, but now I'm back into it.

Bushrat
04-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Yay Renee!! Congratulations!!!! How awesome is that?!

Hi Roonil! Welcome to the club :)

Chris, I think that's too funny that you're deleting while we're scrambling for more words. Your ms sounds really interesting, btw!

I got a whopping 1,600 something done today and yesterday something in the 600s. Just realized that I actually have only three chapters left that need serious work done on them, the rest is looking pretty good! Just a bit of fine-tuning needed.

emilycross
04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Did 1,000 words last night!! Very surprised :)

jerry phoenix
04-21-2010, 04:29 PM
i have just finished a first draft of the new short.

'go me,e. go me,e'

now, do i start the first edit or leave it for a day or two.

i think i will have a look at my submission/rejections-in-waiting folder and see if i cant chase up a few subs. but not before i finish this tea and cake.

triceretops
04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Hah, hah! Monkey, you're a slave-driver! I'm coming up on the end, but I've been saddled with the chores around the farm since Brother-in-Law came home from a terrible, major operation. So, I'm helping him out by being at his beckoning call. Just overloaded with physical work right now, and sneaking in WIP minutes when I can.

Tri

Renee Collins
04-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm :) I'm still feeling great. Going to take a little break and let the story rest a while.

So, you all keep up the good work! You can do it!!

Monkey
04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Way to go, Emily! And WOOT for Bushrat!

Welcome, Jerry! So I take it your challenge is going to be more about submissions? Looks like we're going to have at least one person in each phase of the writing process. :)

Tri, I feel your pain! It seems like I've been in the truck all freakin' day for the last several days, doing farm and housework during the small snippets of time I got to myself, and sick as a dog the whole time. I've been going over my minimum goal of 50 words a day, but not by a hell of a lot. That's all right, though; if all goes as planned, tomorrow I should have plenty of time to write, and I'm just about over this funk. I hope that your brother-in-law gets well soon, and that you are blessed with lots of peace and quiet when all your work is done. :)

DMarie84
04-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Yay for finishing!

I was bad over the weekend and didn't do any writing. Although I did go to a writer's conference. Still, I needed a bit of a break from cranking out 2K every day the previous week.

I got another 2K written on Monday, though I was bad yesterday and didn't do any (it was a rough day at work and I needed time to just relax and actually breathe). Today though is a different story :) Here's hoping for another 2K or more.

Total words: 19,679/80,000 (possibly? could be more or less)

CheyElizabeth
04-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I did exactly 500 words yesterday.. I was sick and felt like crap so I had to just barely scrape by.

Congrats to everyone else, especially Renee! And here's to hoping I can write a lot this afternoon!

Bushrat
04-21-2010, 11:28 PM
1,872 today already and the day is still young :) Just cruising along, waiting to hit the next brick wall...

NicoleMD
04-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Ah! No words for me yet today. I did edit about three sentences, so at least I'm not cheating by being on here. :) Lots of cleaning to do for a party at my place this weekend. I hope to get at least a little writing done between the festivities! If I get 1000 done by Monday, I'll consider it a success.

Nicole

Kateness
04-22-2010, 12:06 AM
well, I started this month out at 37,019 words. Just hit 86,038. Maybe I can even Finish the Damn Book™ by the end of the month.

Witch_turtle
04-22-2010, 08:09 AM
wheewwww just checking in . . . everyone's doing great

I did finish rewriting that bad chapter yesterday, and today I did about 700 words worth of revising. It's not perfect but it's definitely better :)

I'm exhausted though, so good night everyone!

triceretops
04-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Just popping in at 63,234. Very difficult to purposely write a climax tear-jerker scene. You don't want to wax too melodramatic, yet you don't want to skirt over important emotions that have been affected by everything that has gone on beforehand.

Tri

SanStormin
04-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Mine is officially finished at 63,500, but I am seriously considering more rewrites. Yikes!

Who will rid me of this troublesome beast???

triceretops
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
THIS DAMN YA NOVEL, SCREAMCATCHER, IS FINISHED! Clocking in at 64,614, which looks very close to SandStormin. We finished very close together and at almost the same length. How does that happen?

I'm officially taking my leave for revisions and query/synopsis fabrication. I have a very good foundation that won't require too much structural eding. Elapsed time on this was a little over 45 days. My second YA title.

Tri--Red-shifting, hoping that you all accomplish your goals and/or finish those awesome stories.

Witch_turtle
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Just finished the difficult chapter, with 1,380 words worth of polishing :) Only 4 more chapters to go. I'd really like to continue but I really MUST study, as my exams are one by one sneaking up on me, and I have not looked at my material as much as I keep pretending I have.

Congrats to those who have finished!

NicoleMD
04-23-2010, 12:14 AM
:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Congrats, Tri! Savor the feeling!

Nicole

CheyElizabeth
04-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Woo Hoo Trice!! Way to go! :TheWave:

I hope this thread lasts long enough for me to finish my damn novel. :e2shrug:

I got a new laptop today, I'm way stoked about it and probably won't get much writing done tonight since I'll be transferring software and what not.. But I managed to hit my 500 word count goal today at lunch which brings me to:

TODAY: 500
TOTAL: 20,130/50,000

SanStormin
04-23-2010, 02:43 AM
@ Triceratops --
Here's something else weird: my YA is also fantasy. But i worked on it for a year, cos it's my first ms.
I see you are published in sci-fi and fantasy. Reading yr first chapter.

Mine went through SYW, two AP classes and four teen betas.

Good luck!:hooray:

Monkey
04-23-2010, 05:03 AM
.............:Sun: Way to go, Tri!!! :Sun:

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::s noopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Two finishers already, and more on the way, from the sounds of it!

Chris P
04-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Great job, Tri! That is muito fantastico!

I cut another 2000 words today; 900 words of which is a scene better placed in a new idea I have, but one WIP at a time!

I tallied my current word count: 173K. 23K words were cut in the first 78K of the old version (of 196K). If I maintain that pace, I will cut another 57K from the book, ending up at a tidy 120K +/-. I've checked the numbers several times; I can't believe so much was expendable!

Layla Nahar
04-23-2010, 07:15 AM
THIS DAMN YA NOVEL, SCREAMCATCHER, IS FINISHED! Clocking in at 64,614
Elapsed time on this was a little over 45 days.

wow - You wrote a novel in 45 days!

Happy Finished Book! :D

Bushrat
04-23-2010, 07:18 AM
WhohOOOO Tri :snoopy::partyguy::hooray: Congratulations!!!!!

Now, who will come in third place?!

Won't be me, I'll tell you that much. 743 words today. Decided I'll need two more new chapters, otherwise the storyline doesn't make sense :cry: Just when I thought I can smell the finish line...somewhere waaaay down the road. Oh well. I like it here anyway - wouldn't want to leave you guys too soon :D

semmie
04-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Congrats to those who've finished!

emilycross
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Congratulations TRI!!!! WAHOOOOOO!!!

And congrats to people plodding on and getting their chapters done

I salute you all :)

Renee Collins
04-24-2010, 12:59 AM
:partyguy: Congrats to Tri and SanStormin!! Yay for finishing!

Witch_turtle
04-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Just did 606 words. I'd like to do more but I'm having a bit of a rough day in terms of concentrating. At least I reached my daily minimum!

Bushrat
04-24-2010, 08:08 AM
*sneaks in*

zero words today

*slinks out again*

at least nobody saw me

Kateness
04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Two days ago was a zero words day for me as well (to be fair, it was 2000 words that I deleted for awful-itude).

This WIP is working out to be longer than I'd planned. I'm nearly at 97,000 words and it's got a good 15,000 minimum left to go.

*scowls at WIP*

on the other hand, that means I can go at it with a hacksaw afterward and not have to worry about it ending up too short.

NicoleMD
04-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Zero words for me since Wednesday, but my house is cleaner than it's ever been!

Nicole

emilycross
04-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Same here Nicole, except my room is a mess

*sigh*

Study is all consuming at the moment. . .

Bushrat
04-25-2010, 04:37 AM
618 today, of which half are so blah and meaningless, I'll probably end up deleting them again. Might revise and rewrite a chapter already written to get back into the mood.

But it looks like you guys are slacking too :evil It's gotten so quiet in here...

Get cracking, guys :whip:

Monkey
04-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I've been pushing along...not great word counts, but at least my minimum every day. I'm now at 17,352.

Chey: you don't have to worry--I'm going to stick this through, even if it's just me here, all alone. And there's no way that you'll finish after me, so yeah, this thread will still be going! :)

And great job, all ye who are still holding yourself to your goals (even if it's just "more or less" to your goals). It's been fun to watch people finish, but it's also a lot of fun each day to log in and see how much progress you've all made! I hope that we all finish our books here...it's nice to have such great company. :Hug2:

emilycross
04-25-2010, 06:49 PM
monkey 17,000plus is nothing to sniff at - any progress is great - so you're getting a well done from me (and my 1,500 wordcount lol)!

SanStormin
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
618 today, of which half are so blah and meaningless, I'll probably end up deleting them again. Might revise and rewrite a chapter already written to get back into the mood.

But it looks like you guys are slacking too :evil It's gotten so quiet in here...

Get cracking, guys :whip:

Hey, you can store these up and recycle them for other stories/books. I have a whole bunch of 'em -- at least ten years' worth!!

Bushrat
04-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Hey, you can store these up and recycle them for other stories/books. I have a whole bunch of 'em -- at least ten years' worth!!

Hmmm, now there's a thought! I can market it as "Bushrat's Sleepy Time Reader - snippets of stories so boring you won't need sleeping pills anymore" :tongue

Oh...zero words so far today, but it's only lunch time, so there's hope yet :)

Monkey
04-26-2010, 01:35 AM
Over a thousand words today, WOOT!

And thanks, Emily. :)

Layla Nahar
04-26-2010, 04:17 AM
Got back to the damn book - I mean short story. I'm revising. I wrote 75 new words and I moved a few things around so they make more sense.
-hope this is a productive week for all :)

Witch_turtle
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
:D:D Congrats Monkey, and Layla!

I didn't get here to update yesterday, but I DID get my 500 words done . . . just barely. And today I did about 1,700 without even realizing it!!! Woohoo!

ilookcool
04-26-2010, 07:37 AM
4000w/week for me.

I've reached my goal of 120K words for my manuscript, but my story isn't finished yet!

Any rule for how many words to cut everyday?

semmie
04-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Uhm. This is the first I've been online today, and...I forgot to work on my story before playing. Doh!

But...I'm going to write. Right now. Goodbye. :D

Monkey
04-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Way to go, WitchTurtle!

Congrats on getting so many words without even realizing it...it's great when we get that flow going, ain't it? :D

Ilookcool: How many words you add or cut is entirely up to you. Just make sure your goal is doable every day, no matter how busy you might be, and make sure that you work on your novel before you log on to the internet, each and every time. Those rules seem to be the most helpful--although, obviously, you can change the rules however you want. ;) Also, 120,000 words is pretty darn big--do you have a market in mind for a book that size?

Ellis: Even I messed up a couple of times early on. It takes a little while for the "write before you log in" thing to become habit. It's worth it, though!

Starting to feel energized again...here's hoping I get some good writing time in today or tomorrow!

Witch_turtle
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Just went over my daily word count, got about 900 words done :) It was a bit of a struggle to get through, but it's done now. I might go over it again tonight just to make sure it's top notch.

I'm glad you're feeling energized, Monkey! Another new week. Best of luck! I only have one exam left so I'll have a lot more time to get writing done as well :)

ilookcool
04-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Also, 120,000 words is pretty darn big--do you have a market in mind for a book that size?

That's why I need to cut down! It's difficult, isn't it? We treat every word we put down like our baby.

semmie
04-27-2010, 12:39 AM
AGH!!!!!!!! :Headbang:

38,080 words, and I am sort of...stuck. I think I'm gonna have to kill someone off. :e2seesaw:

Christine N.
04-27-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm on the very. last. scene.

Finally.

My 80,000 projected word book will be 90,000 words. No I don't think I can cut 10K - the first 15 chapters have already been revised three times. But I MIGHT be able to cut some out next go-round. If I can cut 5K, I'll be happy with that.

Just need to finish this last. damn. scene.

emilycross
04-27-2010, 12:57 AM
OOOOh good luck Christine!!! You're at the final hurdle, Go Go GOOOO!!!! (my way of encouraging :) )

Witch_turtle
04-27-2010, 06:08 AM
I'm on the very. last. scene.

Finally.

My 80,000 projected word book will be 90,000 words. No I don't think I can cut 10K - the first 15 chapters have already been revised three times. But I MIGHT be able to cut some out next go-round. If I can cut 5K, I'll be happy with that.

Just need to finish this last. damn. scene.

Don't worry about word counts and revising right now! Just finish the last scene!! Get lost in the excitement!! :D

I didn't think I would get anything more done today but I just got in the mood to work and did another 600 words, which brings my daily total to 1500, and which marks the end of another chapter! I'm getting so close!

Layla Nahar
04-27-2010, 06:20 AM
whew! I made it - I did 66 new words, (cut a few, too) and moved some text to a better place. I had something come up that had to be attended to - but I lost 90 minutes of my work evening to it... so, I'm glad of the 66

Christine
Last Scene
it's something like a dream
(hey I write prose - you get what you pay for with my poetry...)

I hope you finish your WIP soon Christine

NicoleMD
04-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Okay, I need to recommit to my goal.

500 words a day (starting tomorrow)
7000 words by May 10th (which WILL be the end of my novel!!!)

Nicole

Monkey
04-27-2010, 06:56 AM
I need a smiley that's jumping up and down with it's hands clasped at it's chest, so freakin' excited it can't stand still. I guess this is as close as it gets:
:hooray::hooray::hooray:

WitchTurtle is sooo close and Christine--I bet she's done by now, or darn close to it!

Books are getting finished left and right!

SanStormin
04-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Monkey:
"Write before you log in."

What a novel idea...maybe I can do that someday. This is addicting.
;)

Jenifer
04-27-2010, 08:58 AM
I opened my word processor this afternoon to find the two chapters I plugged through last week gone... eaten by laptop monkeys. So today 303 bitter new words + a VERY pretentious dedication page will have to do.

semmie
04-27-2010, 09:58 AM
I opened my word processor this afternoon to find the two chapters I plugged through last week gone... eaten by laptop monkeys. So today 303 bitter new words + a VERY pretentious dedication page will have to do.
So...did the monkeys get a mention on the dedication page?

That truly sucks. I am sorry. In December, my laptop crashed and my recover thingy apparently didn't work, because I lost about 1000 words coming out of a major case of writer's block. So I typed, "Damn computer crashed. Lost 1000 words. Screamed. Will attempt to rewrite this scene when I've calmed down."

I still haven't rewritten it.

Elizabeth Holloway
04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry I've been MIA lately, but I haven't forgotten our challenge. The last couple of days I've been busting my butt on my WIP. I think I've pounded out about 2,500 words in the last two days, which is great, since I had pretty much given up on it shortly before joining this challenge.

Glad to see so many successes! Good going guys! You rock!

emilycross
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
wohoo well done Beth light!!

Monkey
04-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Way to go, Beth!

Jenifer and Ellis: Save, save, save! And at the end of the day, E-mail a copy of what you've done to yourself. That way, it's accessible from any computer and doesn't die when your hard drive does. ;)

Christine N.
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Not finished yet, but rapidly closing in. Tying up all loose ends and going for the finish line.

By the end of the week, tops.

Witch_turtle
04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
:O

DUDES

I just realized yet AGAIN that I have less chapters left than I thought I did. Okay, as it stands now, all that is waiting to be finished is:
1) Rewriting chapter 15
2) Rewriting HALF of chapter 16, the other half of which is already revised and polished
3) Read over/polish the final chapter

Which means I am probably closer to being finished than I am mentally prepared to be!! I just did about 600 words on chapter 15, took a break, and now I think I'm going to go back and plug away and see how much awesomer things can get.

Sassy3421
04-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Congrats to all those that have finished!
Well I haven't been on here much lately but the good news is I'm still writing.

I've written about 6400 words in the last 8 days, so that's an avg of 804 a day - which exceeds my target of 500/day. I might make that 89/90k yet.

Monkey
04-28-2010, 03:42 AM
:e2cheer: Go Christine! :e2cheer:
:e2cheer: Go WitchTurtle! :e2cheer:

And way to go, Sassy! I'm glad to hear that you're sticking with it, meeting your goals and plugging away. Woot! :e2cheer:

As for me, I've done 2,300-some-odd words in the last two days, most of it today. And that's above and beyond all the words that I deleted in edits. Yay!

Layla Nahar
04-28-2010, 06:33 AM
- I got to it again tonight. I'm revising a short story. This is only my the second thing longer than a poem that I have written. I'm really exited that I'm actually revising - I was happy enough to finish my first draft! My min for this challenge was 50 words a night. Tonight I did 237.

want to say, too, Witch Turtle - go you!

Monkey
04-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Had one of those late-night epiphanies last night. This morning, I jotted it all down and ended up at 20,676 words--I'm already over a thousand for the day! Woot!

Great job, Layla! Almost five times your minimum goal!

Christine N.
04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
One word: DONE.

91,393 words.

The End.