So. California Easter Earthquake!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where were you when it happened and what were you doing.

I was with my SIL upstairs in her room and we were making candy filled eggs for the E. egg hunt. We noticed the shaking right away and it was carrying on for a few seconds and we were wondering where it was going to go. About 10 seconds into it she headed for a doorway and I listened for the kids waiting for the quake to end cause they usually don't last long. The kids were screaming "earthquake" and running through the house still we waited for it to stop- no reason to panic, it wasn't that strong. Then the last few seconds of the quake got stronger and I thought "this is it, go get the kids out of the house"! I told my SIL, let's get the kids out of the house! And the adults went into action getting all the kids out to the yard. By the time we reached the back yard it was over. We managed to get the kids out of the house and there was an after shock. Then a few minutes later there was another aftershock. Some of the kids felt it while there were 3 kids who were in the jumpy and missed it wondering why we were in a panic. The kids all wanted to lose it when I said, "Wow, wasn't that cool! A real earthquake! Yeehaw!" What I said changed the looks on their faces to something more pleasant and we talked about it. Thank God it wasn't worse than that!

So, where were you and what were you doing?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually felt it here in Phoenix. Sitting at my computer. The chair kind of jiggled a little, as did the computer table. Nothing much. We feel them once in a while.

MM

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow! I guess the epicenter was in Baha a 7.2 (spelling). I was in San Diego County. My SIL lost a knick knack and a picture that both fell. When we got home to our house in Riverside Co. we half expected to find some things on the floor but nothing was out of place.

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
I was in Whittier at my brother's house. We were outside, sitting on the porch under an awning while my kids played basketball. All of a sudden, my neice and nephew and brother and me all look at each other saying "are you feeling that?". My neice's boyfriend (not a native Californian) bolts to the lawn and asks why we're all sitting on the porch. "Aren't you supposed to head for an open field or something?" We all just kind of looked at him and I said " it's a roller. No big deal. It's the jolts that can freak you out." the strangest part was how long it was. I don't think I've ever been in an earthquake that lasted that long before.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Not much going on here either. :) But it was interesting to get a 'first-hand' on line report from a friend in AZ who felt it.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
seismic_waves.png

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I live in south central AZ

I was sitting on the sofa and felt a slight rocking or swaying, like I was in a little boat on a pond. The window blinds swayed from side to side and I wondered if I was losing my mind,especially as my son never felt it.

It was a bit disorienting.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was at a fast food burger place in Big Bear City, CA (east of LA up in the mountains). I was sitting in a booth and I felt a rolling sensation. I jumped up and I could still feel. I ran over to my partner and I was like, Earthquake? And she said yeah. Then it stopped, and everyone in the restaurant was asking each other, hey, was there an earthquake? And then I had a cheeseburger.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
I hope all are alright, those who had to experience this.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I need to pay more attention to what goes on around me.

About what time MST was it? 'Cause this is the second quake I've been in that I had to learn about second hand. It might have shaken my bad leg, but that could've been a muscle spasm.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
About what time MST was it? 'Cause this is the second quake I've been in that I had to learn about second hand. It might have shaken my bad leg, but that could've been a muscle spasm.

It was 3.40pm Arizona time.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
It was 3.40pm Arizona time.

The leg issue was in the morning.

It's official: I failed to notice another earthquake I was in. :eek: Though it would've been more embarrassing if I had been in Baja.

Last edited:

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
The leg issue was in the morning.

It's official: I failed to notice another earthquake I was in. :eek:

My son was six feet away from me in the same room and he never noticed it. My parents live 17 miles away, Dad was out in the garden and he felt it, Mum was in the house and never felt a thing.

Husband slept through it.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
We were sitting in the family room reading. Have to say, that was the longest one I've ever felt and I've lived in California off and on since the late '60. I've been through tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards and earthquakes and have to say earthquakes are the worst because they hit unexpectedly. You can tell we've lived her a long time. The damn thing went on and on and I said to my husband, should we go outside or something? He said, no - it'll stop soon, and it did.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was in Whittier at my brother's house. We were outside, sitting on the porch under an awning while my kids played basketball. All of a sudden, my neice and nephew and brother and me all look at each other saying "are you feeling that?". My neice's boyfriend (not a native Californian) bolts to the lawn and asks why we're all sitting on the porch. "Aren't you supposed to head for an open field or something?" We all just kind of looked at him and I said " it's a roller. No big deal. It's the jolts that can freak you out." the strangest part was how long it was. I don't think I've ever been in an earthquake that lasted that long before.

I was amazed at how long it was too. You know how you just stop what you're doing and just wait for it to stop? Well, we waited and waited and waited. Then when it just kept going we decided to go get the kids. Especially at the end. That was weird.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was an earthquake where I live (STL) about 2 years ago. The funny part was that it started as soon as I sat down (on the toilet) and I thought I broke something :roll:. Boy was I glad to learn that it was the entire ground that was moving.

Whew! That would have been embarrassing!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were sitting in the family room reading. Have to say, that was the longest one I've ever felt and I've lived in California off and on since the late '60. I've been through tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards and earthquakes and have to say earthquakes are the worst because they hit unexpectedly. You can tell we've lived her a long time. The damn thing went on and on and I said to my husband, should we go outside or something? He said, no - it'll stop soon, and it did.

I've lost track of the quakes I've been in. It's like this...

Man reading news paper. Quakes starts. He picks up his cup of coffee as to not let it spill. He looks at another article. Waits. Quake ends. He puts coffee back down on table and turns page on paper.

At least I hope it stays that way though in my heart I know better.

There was an earthquake where I live (STL) about 2 years ago. The funny part was that it started as soon as I sat down (on the toilet) and I thought I broke something :roll:. Boy was I glad to learn that it was the entire ground that was moving.

Whew! That would have been embarrassing!

:ROFL: