Question about query letters

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
I have a question regarding my query letter. Some sources I have found advice to mention similar authors in your query letter. Others, advice against it.
For instance:
My novel OF POETS AND ANGELS, is a 100,000-word SteamPunk-Fantasy that will appeal to readers of both China Mielville and Bruce Sterling.
I understand that this is likely a personal preference that will vary from agent to agent. What is the prevailing wisdom? Please, any agents or anybody with experience, thank you.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that it's okay to compare your work as you have above (my book would appeal to readers of so-and-so and whats-her-face.) The danger comes when you say things like 'my book is just as great, if not better than so-and-so's book'. Or if you say 'My book is the next <insert blockbuster book here>, and it will make you tons and tons of cash!'

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that it's okay to compare your work as you have above (my book would appeal to readers of so-and-so and whats-her-face.) The danger comes when you say things like 'my book is just as great, if not better than so-and-so's book'. Or if you say 'My book is the next <insert blockbuster book here>, and it will make you tons and tons of cash!'

This.

"appeals to fans of" is perfectly fine to use in a query. Don't use any variation of "the next X" or "guaranteed best-seller."

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score

Agreed.

RoseMarie

Words ARE my blood...
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question; how do you end a query when explaining your idea? Do you give the endign away like a synop.? Or do you make it to where it's like one of those back/side cover summaries on books?

Thanks

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Quick question; how do you end a query when explaining your idea? Do you give the endign away like a synop.? Or do you make it to where it's like one of those back/side cover summaries on books?

Thanks

The pitch part of your query is meant to hook the agent's interest and get them to request pages. It should be brief, but get across the main character and conflict of the book. You don't have to tell the ending, and most will tell you to not tell it. Yes, write a little more like the back cover copy copy of a novel--only you have fewer words.

The hero, the dilemma, the consequences if they fail = basic recipe.